I run the following desktop computer:

Intel Core i& 950 Bloomfield Socket 1366 LGA @ 3.07 ghz
ASUS Rampage III GENE
8 GBs DDR3 RAM (4GB x2 Gskill)
DRAM Frequency 534 mhz
NB Frequency 2269 mhz
Max Bandwidth PC3-12800H (800mhz)
Nvidia 550 TI (2GB)

Would upgrading to 16gb of RAM give me a performance increase? I normally use 30% - 50% of my RAM.

What is the performance difference between my RAM (which I think is 800hmz) and 1600mhz RAM?

To increase performance would I be better off trying to overclock my processor a little bit?

I'm pretty novice in hardware.

EDIT: Sorry about the first post, I accidentally posted before I was finished.

More about : ram upgrade speeds

March 7, 2012 8:15:34 PM

Post edited to reflect question, sorry about this mis post.
m
l
Related resources
a b } Memory
March 7, 2012 8:50:26 PM

Okay. Thank you! :) 

Let's get down to business! You have 8gb, which is pretty good for now-a-days. If you are only using up to 50%, there is really no need to upgrade, as you have 4gb waiting to be used. 16gb would give your OS a bit more to work with, but that wouldn't really show much a performance boost if any.

Actually, your RAM is running at 1600Mhz. DDR stands for "Double Data Rate", so that 800Mhz actually is 1600Mhz because it is doubled. If you need more speed on things and your RAM isn't getting maxed out, it would most likely be the CPU, GPU, or HDD that need to improve.

What are you doing that needs more power?
m
l
March 7, 2012 11:24:13 PM

Not really anything! :) 

I usually open 15 tabs, have music playing, Slingbox (HD Tv via web), and WOW going at the same time but really it isn't that demanding on my system.

Thanks for the DDR explanation I didn't know that and it really helps. I think I'm going to hold off on upgrading.

Thanks so much!
m
l
a c 108 } Memory
March 8, 2012 12:14:23 AM

One fact; nehalem and sandy bridge cpu's are not sensitive to ram speeds. You are good there.

If you are cpu limited, and we all are, on occasion, it would not hurt to OC a little bit. Make gradual changes and stress test using prime95.

As to ram, there is no real downsize to having lots of ram. Windows 7 keeps stuff in ram, in anticipation of reuse. You may not be using it, but when you need it, it is there without needing a load from the hard drive. Considering the current low ram prices, adding more is not a bad idea.

If you really want to improve your pc performance, look into a SSD for the os and some apps.
m
l
a b } Memory
March 8, 2012 12:32:23 AM

^ I agree. Also, OCing the CPu isn't a bad idea if you need more power, just make sure you read tutorials on it and all that good stuff. You can also, come back around here and ask! :) 
m
l
!