Replacing a dead 8800 GTS

Dracborne

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
My 3 year old GeForce 8800 GTS 320mb card just died and I'm looking to replace it with a sub- $100 card. Will the GeForce 240 or 430 give me as good as performance as or better than my trusty old friend?

commishbob

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
As the poster above states the 450 is a great choice if you can go just a hair over $100.

If not, the GT 240 is a great budget card with performance very comparable to the 9800 GT (see nVidia's site). One or more of them is almost always on sale at newegg for around $60-$80 after rebate.

commishbob

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
I said "very comparable to" not "equivalent to" but you make some good points. For the price, however, it's quite a good card for those on a budget (no sli capability tho).

Agree that the 430 is not a viable choice.

opexx

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010

His budget is >$100. Mail-in-rebates aren't always accepted.

galeener

Distinguished
That would be why I included the information on the mail in rebate. I know if I was posting on a subject and some one included a little information that I may not have thought of it wouldn't bother me to have more choices. Most people are not totally hard locked on a price. I must be lucky because I have not had a rebate not honored yet.
It may have taken a while but I eventually got the money.
The 460 is a totally higher class of card and would be worth the 10 bucks.
But if he is hard locked the 250 is probably the best choice. Also if he trusts ebay a lot of cards are making their way there now that the 560 Ti is available.
This is my opinion you have the right to your own.

galeener

Distinguished
Yep sometimes it is its really sad that people expect their equipment not to depriciate any over time. Some of the prices are higher than retail now because they are going from the original cost. Sometimes you can find a bargain though.