Toshiba on sale at Circuit City

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
April 20, 2005 3:00:42 PM

Is the Toshiba on sale at Circuit City for $599.99 after rebate a
good buy?

Is there a better buy out there somewhere? I plan to use the laptop
only as a terminal to control my desktop computer from my bed. I
can not use a wireless keyboard because my computer and bed are in
different rooms about 35 feet apart.

Thank you in advance for all replies.
--
I used to think that most MDs were incompetent morons. I was wrong,
they are actually very intelligent and good at what they do which is

a b D Laptop
April 20, 2005 6:03:00 PM

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 11:00:42 -0700, Daniel Prince
<neutrino1@comcast.net> wrote:

>Is the Toshiba on sale at Circuit City for $599.99 after rebate a
>good buy?
>
>Is there a better buy out there somewhere? I plan to use the laptop
>only as a terminal to control my desktop computer from my bed. I
>can not use a wireless keyboard because my computer and bed are in
>different rooms about 35 feet apart.
>
>Thank you in advance for all replies.

Well, you might try using an IR extender, such as the leapfrog. Here's
the one I bought:

http://www.pennythrift.com/catalog/product_info.php?pro...
Charlie Hoffpauir
a b D Laptop
April 20, 2005 9:37:22 PM

Charlie Hoffpauir <invalid@invalid.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 11:00:42 -0700, Daniel Prince
><neutrino1@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>Is the Toshiba on sale at Circuit City for $599.99 after rebate a
>>good buy?
>>
>>Is there a better buy out there somewhere? I plan to use the laptop
>>only as a terminal to control my desktop computer from my bed. I
>>can not use a wireless keyboard because my computer and bed are in
>>different rooms about 35 feet apart.
>>
>>Thank you in advance for all replies.
>
>Well, you might try using an IR extender, such as the leapfrog. Here's
>the one I bought:
>
>http://www.pennythrift.com/catalog/product_info.php?pro...

How would I see the screen?
--
I used to think that most MDs were incompetent morons. I was wrong,
they are actually very intelligent and good at what they do which is
make lots of money and get lots of prestige by shoveling enormous
amounts of BS very, very rapidly.

April 20, 2005 10:15:12 PM

Daniel Prince <neutrino1@comcast.net> wrote:
: Is the Toshiba on sale at Circuit City for $599.99 after rebate a
: good buy?

Might help if you tell us what model number it is or at least the
specs!

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
a b D Laptop

usenetMYSHOES@bizaveMYSHOES.com (Andrew) wrote:

>Daniel Prince <neutrino1@comcast.net> wrote:
>: Is the Toshiba on sale at Circuit City for $599.99 after rebate a
>: good buy?
>
>Might help if you tell us what model number it is or at least the
>specs!

Sorry, I was not thinking.

TOSHIBA Intel® Celeron® M Processor 350
new, save $200
599.99
After $200 Circuit City Mail-in Rebate*
(Reg. 799.99)
thru Apr 23
(1.3GHz, 1MB L2 Cache, 400MHz FSB)
• DVD/CD-RW combo drive
• 256MB DDR-SDRAM memory
• 40GB hard drive
• Integrated 802.11g wireless
• 15" monitor
#M35XS114
In-store only.

--
I used to think that most MDs were incompetent morons. I was wrong,
they are actually very intelligent and good at what they do which is
make lots of money and get lots of prestige by shoveling enormous
amounts of BS very, very rapidly.

April 21, 2005 7:56:52 AM

Daniel Prince <neutrino1@comcast.net> wrote:
: usenetMYSHOES@bizaveMYSHOES.com (Andrew) wrote:

: >Daniel Prince <neutrino1@comcast.net> wrote:
: >: Is the Toshiba on sale at Circuit City for $599.99 after rebate a
: >: good buy?
: >
: >Might help if you tell us what model number it is or at least the
: >specs!

: Sorry, I was not thinking.

: TOSHIBA Intel® Celeron® M Processor 350
: new, save $200
: 599.99
: After $200 Circuit City Mail-in Rebate*
: (Reg. 799.99)
: thru Apr 23
: (1.3GHz, 1MB L2 Cache, 400MHz FSB)
: ? DVD/CD-RW combo drive
: ? 256MB DDR-SDRAM memory
: ? 40GB hard drive
: ? Integrated 802.11g wireless
: ? 15" monitor
: #M35XS114
: In-store only.

That's a decent basic laptop. Note however that Celeron-M lacks some
of the power-saving features of its big brother Pentium-M (which is
part of Centrino), so the battery life on this laptop is not likely to
be outstanding. Then again, we shouldn't expect a whole lot for $600.

This laptop may be built for Toshiba by Compal and some people don't
like their build quality compared to the laptops Toshiba actually
builds themselves. But if the laptop won't leave your house, it may
not be an issue.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
a b D Laptop

Andrew wrote:
> Daniel Prince <neutrino1@comcast.net> wrote:
<snip>

Instead of messing w/rebates, this one might be better deal w/the
Pentium-M chip and no rebate:

Dell Home has $400 off the Inspiron 2200 Notebook when you choose
upgrades to a minimum of $999. The price is then $999 - $400 code
W2J12V7C8D5BF? [Exp 4/26] = $599 with free shipping.

# Pentium-M 1.5GHz, 14.1" XGA, 256MB DDR, 30GB Drive, 8x DVD-ROM
# 10/100 + 56k, Dell Color Printer 720, XP Home, 1-Yr Warranty

I think the burner upgrade is only $29, and it comes w/a free printer.
Play around w/the different configurations and be sure to use that
coupon too.
April 21, 2005 8:26:24 PM

Michael Lee <gte980p@prism.gatech.edu> wrote:
: Andrew wrote:
: > Daniel Prince <neutrino1@comcast.net> wrote:
: <snip>

: Instead of messing w/rebates, this one might be better deal w/the
: Pentium-M chip and no rebate:

: Dell Home has $400 off the Inspiron 2200 Notebook when you choose
: upgrades to a minimum of $999. The price is then $999 - $400 code
: W2J12V7C8D5BF? [Exp 4/26] = $599 with free shipping.

: # Pentium-M 1.5GHz, 14.1" XGA, 256MB DDR, 30GB Drive, 8x DVD-ROM
: # 10/100 + 56k, Dell Color Printer 720, XP Home, 1-Yr Warranty

: I think the burner upgrade is only $29, and it comes w/a free printer.
: Play around w/the different configurations and be sure to use that
: coupon too.

Of course, that doesn't have a built-in wireless card and the hard
drive is 30GB, not the 40GB in the Toshiba. It is an interesting
deal, though - thanks for posting it.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----