Two NIC's - computer is confused

doloop

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2010
Here is the question: I have two NIC's on the computer, one wireless and one wired. The wireless connection connects to a wireless modem (verizon mifi) and give me internet access. The wired modem connects to a Linksys router which is connected to my printer. When I have the wired connection plugged in, my computer cannot access the internet - it is apparently trying to use the wired NIC which has no internet access. When I unplug the network cable, then my computer does have internet access via the wireless nic. I am running Windows 7 on this computer.

Oddly, I am running Windows XP on another computer and I can leave the cable connected to that one and it causes to problem. That computer is able to access the printer and also the internet.

How do I configure computer number 1 above so that it knows which NIC to use depending on whether I am accessing the internet or trying to print?

k3y3n1n

Distinguished
May 20, 2010

If you have the verizon giving off the wireless internet you dont need a linksys router.. But i dont think your verizon modem has 4 ports on it so going to be hard to do wire connections..

What i would do is configure your verizon so that its just a modem and then us the linksys as the router so it can give you the 192 address

Or you can unplug the Ethernet cable from the linksys and just use the verizon modem as network (idk how its going to be with sharing files since the linksys router creates its own subnet and ssid)

doloop

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2010
I figured out the problem. I finally got around to looking at the routing table. I had two entries for the "catch all" 0.0.0.0 destination, one that routed packets to the internal network and one that routed packets to the other network with internet access. Don't ask me how this happened. I had not fiddled with the routing table at all before now. At any rate, I deleted the first and now my computers are no longer confused!!