I5 2500K 87 DEGREES IDLE! + Asus P8P67 Evo Problems NEED HELP!

ToxicViking

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2011
Hello, Today I completed my first build. I am relativly new in computer building and am not very experienced. So please make your answers as clear and simple as possible.

So ive built my new pc. The specs are:

Asus P8P67 Evo
Intel i5 2500K
Asus GTX580 Ti
Corsair Vengence 8gb
Corsair HX850W

So I completed the build and mostly every part of the build went fairly smooth. So I plugged everything in and booted for the first time. No problems what-so-ever.

Everything lit up, no warning signs on the components and the BIO's opened.

Everything was reconised and there were no problems. Then I looked at the CPU temperature and it was reading 87 Degrees!!

I knew this wasnt normal and after putting my fingers near the cpu I could feel the vast amount of heat coming off of it.
Within 5 minutes of booting I turned the system off because I knew that this was not normal.

I have installed the Intel Stock cooler that came with the CPU, I a little trouble installing it (as it was my first time) but I never had to lift it up again to produce air bubbles. I also noticed in the BIO's for the fist boot that the CPU fan was not running at full speed and not even at 1/4th of the max speed. I though this was strange and that it usually just speeds up as it detects the cpu temperature increasing.

I checked that the stock cooler was on correctly and that the 4 pin were pocking through on the back of the motherboard, and they were, but 2 however were not fully through like the other 2. So I fixed this without lifting the whole thing off again.

After doing this I pushed the power button on the computer. It turned on as normal for about 5 seconds then cut off and then came back on again a proceeded to BIO's. Is this normal? Once back in BIO's the temperatures had dropped to about 63 - 68 Degrees on Idle. I thought this still isnt normal temperatures. So I monitored the temperatures for the CPU and they stayed mostly around the 64 degree mark for about 15 minutes. After this I was still worried about the temperatures so it has been off since.

A Rasa 750 WC kit is coming in around 6 days.

Do you guys think these extremly high temperatures are just from bad stock cooling installation? Is my CPU safe and in good condition after being at such a high temperature? What about the boot problem and why is it turning on for 5 seconds then of then back on again?

Thank You for the help.

Genzer

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2011
Yea, you probably need to take off the heatsink. Clean off the processor and the heatsink, learn how to reapply thermal paste evenly.

PRACTICE gets you as close to perfect as your going to get. Don't just go willy nilly on your first build or your gonna burn your investment up.

Yea. Just do that, pick up some paste somewhere and try again. GL

Formata

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2010
I'm not a big fan of how those stock coolers go on... pushing those plastic pins through and locking them and the way the plastic support bits drop down. Take it off, clean both surfaces and then maybe do a couple of 'dry runs' to get the hang of it going on smoothly...although I try not to play around with it too much, those plastic pins are pretty flimsy. Then apply thermal paste and see how you go.

Check out pg 1 of this guide:

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=170&Itemid=1&limit=1&limitstart=3

ToxicViking

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2011
Thanks for the quick replies guys. After reading other threads I have learned that the BIO's readings are actually a little higher that a normal temperature reading in windows. But still 63 - 68 Degrees is extremly hot for idle. I went ahead and took the stock heatsink off to find that the pre-applied thermal compund was very uneven.

My mate is coming around tomorrow to reapply the thermal paste and reinstall the stock cooler.

Hopefully this helps.

ToxicViking

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2011
So I took the stock heatsink off, reapplied thermal paste and made sure it was back on securely and tight however I still got very high temperatures in the BIO's. I went ahead and installed windows and then looked at my temperatures on CPUID and they were in the high 30's!! I thought this was great. However later that day they got up to about 55 Degrees at idle? I thought that that was weird.

So anyways in typing on my new rig currently and at the moment, with just Opera open im at about 50 - 57 Degrees...

Can't wait until watercooling comes in next week and I hope I see dramatic changes.

Be sure to keep that water cooling kit cleaned every few months. I highly suggest the upkeep. It'll mess your 130$ water cooling kit up if you don't keep upkeep on the coolant.

I would have suggested this kit instead to be honest though.
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=26994

A lot better of a kit. The best high flow water block is the Apogee XT, they give you a solid pump as well. Just saying.

IlkkaP

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011

I have the same problem. I have:
- Asus P8P67 Deluxe
- Intel i7 2600K
- Kingston 8 GB memory
- ATI Radeon HD5770

My BIOS starts at about 87 degrees Celsius after booting up, and goes up to 97 degrees Celsius (and probably even higher).

I had some difficulties in installing the CPU, but it should now be correctly installed.

CPU fan is at 1930 RPM, in the low end of the scale.

I installed the latest BIOS from ASUS website, but it didn't change anything. I have not installed operating system yet, so the BIOS is the only place I can see the temperature.

Can this be a correct temperature (meaning heat does not flow to the processor cooler), or is this some kind of BIOS error?

IlkkaP

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
My BIOS starts at about 87 degrees Celsius after booting up, and goes up to 97 degrees Celsius (and probably even higher).

I re-seated the Intel stock processor cooler, and I am now at 67 degrees Celsius (with a single chassis cooler at Low setting of Low/Medium/High as a setting). I suppose that is still high but at least manageable.

It seems that these new processors are extremely sensitive to seating the cooler correctly. (When I last time did a home-built motherboard five years ago, it was not as difficult as nowadays).

nd_hunter

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009
Keep in mind, the temps will read higher in the BIOS (EUFI) than they do in Windows. I put a 2500k into a MSI C43 for my pops and was concerned until I read a thread in the CPU area. Apparently, this is a common thing... :S

If you are still concerned, get a CM Hyper 212+. I'm rocking about 19C on idle in Win 7 (No OC yet, no need).

IlkkaP

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011

Thanks for the tip. I removed the old paste and re-seated once more with new paste. I will look at it again after I get the OS installed.

I looked at Intel processors specs, and luckily the processors have built-in safety mechanisim (http://download.intel.com/design/processor/designex/324644.pdf, page 56):

6.2.3 THERMTRIP# Signal

Regardless of whether or not Adaptive Thermal Monitor is enabled, in the event of a catastrophic cooling failure, the processor will automatically shut down when the silicon has reached an elevated temperature (refer to the THERMTRIP# definition in the EDS). At this point, the THERMTRIP# signal will go active and stay active as described in the EDS. THERMTRIP# activation is independent of processor activity. If THERMTRIP# is asserted, processor core voltage (VCC) must be removed within the timeframe defined in EDS. The temperature at which THERMTRIP# asserts is not user configurable and is not software visible.

nd_hunter

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009
You're welcome.

I built mine and his in the same weekend. I've got a 212+ in a HAF 912 case with extra fans and his is on stock cooling in a Thermaltake V3 (very flimsy case, looks good though) with one side fan. I don't recall what temp his idles at, although I do know the Win temp was significantly lower than when it was in EUFI. I want to say it's down in the high 20s as opposed to high 50s, respectively.

Haha ok. I was just a little confused as to how you came up with that ;)

I was checking to make sure he didn't get one of those crappy cases with bad airflow; that would have been my primary concern.

I also have a 212+ (replaced a Titan Fenrir), and it's incredible for only a $30 cooler. I've heard 4+ GHz is easily achievable with it, but I haven't been willing to risk trying OCing because I need my computer for school all the time and can't afford it to be down.

intel1502

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2010
As he said, he (and I - due to the fact were getting 90% identical builds) is getting an XSPC rasa 750 rs240 watercooling kit, so cooling is well over what is neccessary for maximum o/c...

IlkkaP

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011

I have now installed OS (Win7 64-bit) and can confirm that CPU temperature reading is substantially lower in Asus Probe II than in BIOS.

First, I booted to the OS and looked at CPU temp in Asus Probe. It was around 35 degrees Celsius. Then I rebooted the system and entered BIOS. When CPU temp as shown by BIOS came to the screen, it was 55 degrees Celsius and climbed to about 63 degrees Celsius. I exited the BIOS and booted to the OS. Asus Probe showed CPU temp as around 50 degrees and decreasing to about 35 degrees Celsius.

This experiment is consistent with that BIOS and ASUS Probe are displaying the reading from the same CPU temperature sensor, but BIOS is extremely inefficient in controlling CPU power consumption (i.e. heat production) compared to the OS, or there is some other mechanism which affects BIOS reading the CPU temp.

nd_hunter

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009

That is about dead on with what my dad was telling me (I called him last night). Perhaps the BIOS puts the CPU under full load? That seems kind of funky. But we're talking very similar temps from two different mobo brands (ASUS and MSI). What case do you have? If I remember, tonight I will check the temps on my rig (ASUS P8P67 LE :S, 212+). I don't recall what my temps were when I put it together and I haven't been in the BIOS since the initially setup.

Have you overclocked anything? My dad's is stock, as is mine. I like the power savings and haven't needed to overclock anything yet :) I love it.

IlkkaP

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011

My set-up:
- Antec III Sonata 500 case incl. 500 W PSU, 120 mm case fan with Low/Med/High setting, set at Low
- Asus P8P67 Deluxe
- Intel Core i7 2600K (3.4 GHz) + Intel stock processor cooler fan
- Gigabyte GV-R577SL-1GD Radeon HD5770 (passive cooling)
- 2 x 4 GB DDR3 memory

I have not overclocked anything, everything is at standard, factory settings.

When in Windows 7 doing nothing, CPU speed is around 1.6 GHz. It would sound logical that BIOS runs processor at full 3.4 GHz, that could explain the higher temperature.

ToxicViking

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2011

Dude, we are in the exact same boat. This is exactly what happened to me.

Anyways I found a way to keep the cpu from going over 70 Degrees when under load (for the time being, until I get my watercooling). Go to the advanced BIO's (I forget what its under :S sorry) and look for some sort of cpu settings and then the cpu fan speed and you can actually adjust when the fan speed will increase. So I set it to when the CPU reaches 60 degrees it ramps up the fan until the temperature drops back down.

You can do that if you are concerened about your temps. Hope that helps you out a little. Sorry I couldn't be a little more specific.

Cainor

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2011
Hi Viking,

I plan to make the same EXACT build with you but with the latest Noctuna C14 cooler, I let u know what temperature I get in BIOS.

Asus P8P67 Evo
Intel i5 2500K
Gigabyte GTX 560 1Ghz SOC (*I considered 580 as overkill and i do plan for an SLI)
Corsair Vengence 8gb
Corsair HX850W

Major question- I'm wondering did your build recognized the Vengeance as 1600 speed? due to their 1.5V usage - or you still need to make voltage changes for them to work at 1600. On some mombos they work by factory default plugin as 1600.

I read many ASUS motherboards have problems with the Vengeance's 1.5V.

Any other advaices before I buy? (*I'm waiting for a SOC but I placed my order).

Many thanks,
Cain

nd_hunter

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009

Hey Cain,

I used 2x4GB Corsair XMS RAM and all I had to do to get 1600MHz was to enable the XMP profile in the EUFI. But my Ram is rated at 1.65v. My suggestion to you is to enable the XMP Profile, save, exit, restart, and then go back into EUFI and check to make sure the timings, frequency, and voltage match what Corsair advertises. You might need to manually change the voltage. I have the LE :??: version of the P8P67 line and am going to try overclocking my i5 and ram this weekend. Hurry up Z68!

Best of luck!

Cainor

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2011
Asus P8P67 with Corsair Vengeance memory question - Reply Quote:

Hi Cris,

The default memory frequency that the board will use depends on the CPU you’re using. However, the fastest CPU that you can use on this board, i7-2600k, will default the memory frequency to 1333MHz. So no matter which CPU you use, any memory installed in a P67 chipset system will not be detected at any faster than 1333MHz. However, it is simple to set your memory to run at 1600MHz. You can just enter the BIOS and in the first tab of Advanced Mode, set Overclock Tuner to ‘XMP’, verify that DRAM frequency now shows 1600MHz, and upon next reboot your system will be running at 1600MHz.

Best Regards,
Mason