1 of 8 CPU Threads at 100% load. Squealing noise

J0NNYBRAV0

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
Hi,
I'm experiencing something that I am not sure is normal. A high pitched squeal from what I believe to be my CPU.

The issue most noticeably happens when I open up the sandbox editor program for Crysis 2. It has, however, occasionally happened when I start up the actual Crysis 2 game, but only during the splash screen intros and not during gameplay. I don't think the actual program has anything to do with it, but I could be wrong.

So when I noticed the noise, I opened up a windows 7 gadget that monitors CPU usage and temperatures. So when this issue is happening, thread #8 of my CPU is at 100% load, while all others are under 15%. All temperatures are fine.

Is this a normal occurrence when using CPU heavy programs? It seems to be isolating thread #8 only and putting the full processing load onto it for some reason.

My system is stable and I have run Prime95 and Intel Burn test and everything like that with no issues.

Any ideas as to what this may be?

Your CPU cannot make noise, its all solid unmoving parts, the power systems for it can however, you are probably getting coil whine from the PSU when its under that load pattern.

Which PSU do you have? Some are notorious for high rates of coil whine

+1

PSU and sometime the gpu can make a coil wine.