Ca I fix MSI 790GX BIOS at home if I cant load on DOS?

hunted22

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Hello everybody..

I have the motherboard MSI 790GX-G65 (ATI IGP), with an AMD phenom II X4, and a one piece 2g RAM.

In short: PC powers on but no monitor signal nor beeping (startup beep or RAM error beep), tried everything, suspect BIOS fail.
Can I fix BIOS at home if PC in this state?

In detail:

I'm using "ACPI" on my computer and use (sleep) instead of (hibernate).. PC wakes up in like 5 seconds, directly on windows..

Today, I powered up PC and went away.. I came back to find the the computer looks like its running, but no monitor signal..
I turned it off, removed every card and cable and pressed cleared bios button, but nothing changed.. looks running, but no beeping (from system speaker) even when removing RAM, and no monitor signal.

I kept trying for like 15min, and suddenly the PC worked properly after removing battery.. I turned it off and on couple times without a problem, so I turned it off and attached the HDD and powered it on..
The PC started up normal (normal start up not ACPI, until Windows logo screen, it said "resuming Windows", the screen faded away normally, and the monitor signal went away for a second (normal so far), but instead of loading windows, the computer kept on that state (running, but no response or monitor signal).. and nothing changed after restart, removing battery, or even after I totally disassembled and reassembled the PC outside the case.

Any help would be much appreciated.

You need to reset the sata setting to "achi" anytime you reset the bios. Most default to the "native ide" setting. That's probably why windows won't load normally. I also recommend you stop using the sleep settings and get an ssd and clone your present drive to it. I had similar issues to yours when trying to use the sleep mode when powering down. I gave up on using it. I also prefer using a wireless keyboard and mouse, which won't work in sleep mode.

hunted22

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Thank you for your respose..

I don't think you've fully understood me.. there is no much I can do since I'm not getting post from the PC.. there is no monitor signal at all

I want to know if there is anything I can do at home to fix it at this state.

Bios' rarely fail except from a bad flash. It's also possible you damaged the bios if the cmos jumper was in the wrong position at some point when you tried to recover. You can request an rma from msi; just tell them the board won't post. They will check the serial number to determine when the board was manufactured and if it's still under warranty. They should issue an rma within 24 hours, but it may take two weeks to get a replacement board, and it won't be new; just a tested return. New boards are rarely issued for rma's unless that's all they have in stock at the time. I've dealt with the msi rma dept several times; only brand I could get through to talk to the rma manager.

hunted22

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
actually the mobo has no jumpers at all.. just a clear coms button.. and if the board was still under warranty, why would I even bother!..

I want to fix it myself at home if this is possible, because couple times i sent out of warrenty hardware to be fixed at computer stores, came back with dents, scratches, bent or broken pins, and so on..

It costs nothing to request an rma from MSI. If the board has no scratches or burn marks, they will replace it if the rma if approved. It costs about ten dollars to send it by parcel post. I'd like to fix my stuff at home also, but have sent in boards to them and other manufacturer's before. It's really up to you whether you want to wait 2-3 weeks for a replacement board.

hunted22

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
My friend, the mother board is out of warranty, and I'm not sure if MSI provid repair service or exchange service out of warranty, but even if they do, what I'm gonna pay for repair or exchange, plus shipping costs, would be more than the cost of a new mobo since shipping cost from my country to wherever USA or Asia would not be less than $40.

Believe me,. I have only 2 options.. fixing the motherboard at home, or risking it by sending it to be repaired at some computer store.

I had a similar situation with an old board a few years ago. Just as I was about to give up, one more try got me back into the bios. If you get that far, I would look for any bios protection settings such as boot block or virus protection, and disable them. You're going to have to flash the bios again at some point if your settings aren't holding. I would also try a different power supply if you can. I always have a spare. Sometimes just one wire on one of the cables will have a short that only happens when the cables are connected a certain way that bends the wires a particular way. It may sound silly, but I've been building for 22 plus years, since my first IBM refurb from their factory failed due to a defective mouse port. So find another ps and keep at it. I learned that persistance sometimes works, watching the ultra fast assemblers at dell and some old timers at now defunct computer shops here in the austin area. Good luck.

hunted22

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Thank you o1die.. I'l just keep lookin online to find out if this board can be loaded at home in this state since I'm getting no monitor signal, and cant really tell anything from what I'm seeing.