Server hardware and more

Aoyagi

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010
Hi, I've never made a server myself so I better ask here...

-I'm supposed to build a server machine which would run some basic stuff (exchange, file sharing, an office network app, ntbackup or whatever do they have nowadays, etc). Here is what I am thinking right now:

Phenom II X4 910e
4096/1600 DDR3
Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H (integrated HD4250, 5x SATA, GLAN, blah blah)

It will be a small (10-ish computers) network but I don't want to miss something important because of my lack of knowledge, heh.

-I also wanted to ask how would you remotely access the server from the outside. It will be probably behind a router so direct IP won't work... the only way I could think of was Hamachi. Now stop laughing and tell me better way, please ^^.

-Also, is there any aspect that would make me get win.server 2008 (or whatsthenumber) instead of 2003?

-and final one, is it difficult to configure D-Link DIR-600 or do you have a better tip? (3 rooms, I even don't know if the signal is able to get thru 2 walls (I think it can, with difficulties)). All I need from that thing is to give the Internet connection via WLAN and LAN.

That is all. Thank you for any input.

Catsrules

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
I am not an expert on server parts so I don't realy know what to use for that size of network
I am using a old P4 as my file server, it seems to be doing ok.

What do you want to remote access from the server, and how secure do you want it to be?
I love hamachi, it works and is simple and secure if you trust the hamachi people that is :)
If you want files you can FTP in just port forward 20 and 21 to your server on your router. Very unsecure BTW
If you got a fancy router you can VPN in like hamachi but more complicated to setup and it gives you more access, and you are the one controlling everything and not third partys. I used software called untangle and it make a PC a dedicated firewall router, your just need to at least 2 network cards in the computer.

I think 2008 is easier to use and supports the new OS (vista and 7) better. I have only used 2008 BTW.

No idea on the router you are thinking of.

Aoyagi

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010
Thanks for the info. Later I realized that the rig is way more then enough for this network. But I'm putting it there anyway, it saves energy and future annoyance.

The security won't really be tight, 'tis a small office company. The remote access includes files, that program and possibly remote desktop too.
If I can avoid FTP, I will. Sorry, it's not very comfortable unless you have Total Commander and who would explain that to the lesser minds... (/sarcasm)
If by "VPN in" you mean something related to the Cisco VPN client, they don't want that and I fully understand ^^ . I should have written that the security will be really basic.

Thanks again ^^

Catsrules

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
Naa there are a bunch of VPN clients other the Cisco.
I have a Untangle router that has with a open VPN built in. You just create a exe file for each computer you want to have access to you Logan network. It is realy easy to setup as well.

Catsrules

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
Naa there are a bunch of VPN clients other the Cisco.
I have a Untangle router that has with a open VPN built in. You just create a exe file for each computer you want to have access to you Logan network. It is realy easy to setup as well.