Motherboard Crash and Power Issue (ASUS M2N61-AR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

adam759

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
Hello, I have a frequent problem with a motherboard. It is from an HP Pavillion Slimline s3400 PC. The model of the board is M2N61-AR. The problem started occuring a few months ago. At first, it would not boot up no matter what. Then, strangely, I found that if I unplugged the power cord from the back of the PSU, while holding the power button on the PC, it would start to boot. A few times, I was able to plug it back in when it would start to boot, and it would boot up fine, until I would turn it off, or when it would go into sleep mode. My first thought was the PSU. I opened up the PSU and noticed that some of the capacitors were blown. I then thought, "ok, it was just the PSU". Wrong. I had a few extra PSU's lying around, so I decided to use one of those. But, the board is micro-atx, so it has a micro power connector on it. I bought an adapter to go from a normal atx power connector to a micro atx power connector. It started up. It worked fine for about a week, but then it decided to start crashing. I thought that it might be windows. So I went to reinstall windows, but, when I booted the CD, it crashed a few seconds after the "loading windows files" screen loaded. I dont know what is causing this. Is the mobo bad? Or the cpu? The cpu is an AMD Athlon 62 X2 socket AM2 proccessor. Any ideas?

Solution

Wyered1

Feb 27, 2012

I'd say if you aren't even getting a BIOS post screen then it's not the CPU. You might have shocked your mobo when you were throwing the power cord in and out.

Some HP systems like that have a button near the power cord that will reset the PSU, does yours? If so, push the button at the same time you push the power button and it might work.

Otherwise, it does sound like your PSU went bad, and you might have messed up the mobo in the troubleshooting process. No BIOS points at a mobo or PSU problem over anything else.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.