Need advice on AMD gaming build

Fastlane67

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2011
Approximate Purchase Date: Within 2 weeks

Budget Range: $300-$400 (or close)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Internet, Flight Simulators, watching movies, editing/creating movies, gaming

Parts Not Required: Keyboard/mouse, monitors, video card, HDD and OS, POSSIBLY CPU cooler, POSSIBLY PSU

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com, tigerdirect.com

Country of Origin: USA

Parts Preferences: I would like to use an AMD CPU, side window mid tower case.

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution: 2560X1600 on 30" monitor, 1280X1024 on 17"

Additional Comments:
I bought a Dell XPS 700 in 2006, all the reviews said it was awesome, and honestly it was. I had no complaints, a few minor issues with the SLI nVidia cards, added memory etc. Well this week the MOBO decided it was done, and NOW I have issues with Dell! Proprietary systems suck! Dell wants $467 for a new MOBO!! I feel I can build a machine for much less, as I don't need to buy ALL the parts.

I want to build as much performance as possible within my $300-$400 budget. I want to use as many parts from my XPS as I can, planning to keep the Monitors, HD and OS, video card, and RAM if possible. I would like to build an AMD system, and I would like the new system to have a little bling with a side window, and more performance than the XPS. Possibly even add water cooling, external automotive gauges, etc at a later date. ABSOLUTELY no MicroATX, fullsize stuff only.

Dell system came with:
Pentium D Presler 3.0 Ghz
2 512k DIMM DDR2 chips
Western Digital 250GB SATA hard drive running windows XP.
700w power supply (more on this later)
KILLER heat tube/fan CPU cooler (more later)
3007WFP 30" monitor capable of 2560X1600

I added:
2-1Gb of the same RAM for a total of 3 Gb RAM
XFX Raedon 1GB video card
XFX Raedon
a second monitor, Dell E177FP capable of 1280X1024

It is my understanding from reading here and other forum's that because of Dell's proprietary BS, I'll need to replace the case, MOBO, CPU and power supply. Correct me if I'm wrong.

ISSUES: I would like to save my current PSU to save some money, even if I have to change the plugs. Not sure if that will work. Also, I would like to keep the CPU cooler, however Dell mounts the chip at a 45* angle, and the heat tubes are all twisted, so that the cooling fins are back in line with the mobo.

Here's what I'm thinking I need to buy:
I REALLY like this CPU, planning to overclock as much as possible while being stable, 3.5 or so I'm guessing.
AMD Athalon II X3 Rana 3.2 Ghz
MOBO
ASRock 870 Xtreme
With those, my current memory won't work so:
GSkill 4GB Ripjaws
Case
Red Raidmax Tornado

Well, that's about it. Open to any and all suggestions, especially on the PSU and CPU cooler. I think with the parts I already have, and a few smart purchases I can end up with a pretty decent rig and not have a ton of money invested.

Thanks in advance gang!

Fastlane67

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2011
I edited the original post to use the "template" for a new build. Sorry about that. I really need some feedback/advice on this thing.

Thanks again!

Fastlane67

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2011
Hey, in case you wondered, and judging from the help I got from this site you don't, I now have an up and running AMD system!

Thanks for the "help" DOUCHEBAGS!!!!!