Core i7 Temps Horrifyingly High (75-90 Degrees Idle)

scottandrus

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2011
Hello,
Newb here, but I figured I would approach Tom's Hardware as this seems to be a solid hive of information regarding computer hardware.

I recently built my first tower this past Winter, and have been loving it to death; the experience was like nothing else as a tech enthusiast and I now have one lean, mean, computing machine at my disposal.

Recently, I installed the program "Speccy" from Piriform, and checked on how my components were holding over time (this was about six months from when I had first built the PC). Everything seemed to be there, but something immediately startled me; the temps for my CPU (an Intel Core i7-950) seemed extremely high! Just browsing a simple webpage in Chrome yielded temps of around 75-85 degrees C, occasionally breaking into the 90's. I was shocked by this, but then occasionally it would slip back down to 55-60, which befuddled me further.

My first assumption, of course, was that the fans were to blame and that one or two of them must not be running. Upon inspection, however, all of them appeared to be running.

What could be causing this? Could it be a software issue, like a virus that crept onto my computer? Or is there just another problem here altogether?

Thanks, and I can provide more information if you would like upon request.

Scott

Solution

Sure, I thought you said you built the tower though. On the upper half of the motherboard usually to the left of your RAM, sits your CPU fan/heatsink. You need to remove it, clean off your CPU and the heatsink surface (I believe Isopropyl alcohol is recommended here), reapply a dab of thermal paste to your CPU, and reset the heatsink onto your processor and reapply the fan

scottandrus

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2011
Here's a picture of Speccy to show you what I mean by this; the temps are extremely erratic and intimidating.

Htpza.png

scottandrus

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2011

Could you give me some more information? I'm a complete newb and I wouldn't know which part is set incorrectly or how to even begin to go about resetting that.

bearclaw99

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2010

Sure, I thought you said you built the tower though. On the upper half of the motherboard usually to the left of your RAM, sits your CPU fan/heatsink. You need to remove it, clean off your CPU and the heatsink surface (I believe Isopropyl alcohol is recommended here), reapply a dab of thermal paste to your CPU, and reset the heatsink onto your processor and reapply the fan

Solution

scottandrus

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2011

Ah; I did build it. For some reason, when you said "reset" CPU cooler, it sounded to me like you wanted me to reset software or settings rather than physically "re-setting" it onto the CPU itself.

Thanks, I appreciate your answer, as well as Timop's. I'm going to go ahead and order some new thermal paste today.

Uther39

Distinguished
If your buying new thermal paste, it may be as well to buy your self a cheap but decent aftermarket cooler such as the coolermaster 212, as this uses a back plate and therefore avoids the rather shoddy intel push pin affair, which so easily results in a poor heatsink mounting. oh and as far as thermal paste is oncerned be sure to buy some arctic silver 5 or even mx4.