Sign in with
Your question
Closed

System does not boot, no beep, no video.

Last response: in Motherboards
March 7, 2012 11:20:11 PM

I am working on a custom PC that used to work and boot up without problems, but ever since I took it apart and re-assembled everything, it no longer boots up. There is no beep, and no video of any kind. I did disconnect the AC power when I took it apart. I stripped the system down to bare case, with only the PSU, HDD, and the disc drive still installed. After I re-assembled everything, and connected all the pins and cables, including the 4-pin on the mobo. I connected AC power and tried to boot the system, but there was no beep and no video, even though the fans are turning, and the system appears to be running.

I attempted system boots with no graphics card, then no RAM, but the system yielded the same results. I even brought in another mobo, with another set of RAM and another CPU, yet I still got the same result. I have tried booting without the graphics card and RAM this time around also, but the same thing happens.

What could be the problem here? Could it be a bad PSU? I think it's strange that the system refused to boot even though it worked just fine with that exact combination of parts before I took it apart. And even more unusual that the system produced the same result with a completely different mobo/CPU/RAM set.

Current specs with new mobo/CPU/RAM:
MSI 770-G45 AM3 mobo
AMD Sempron 2.8GHz socket AM3 CPU
2 x 2GB 1333MHz DDR3 RAM
XFX GeForce 8800GS GPU

Original specs:
MCP6PB M2+ AM2 mobo(A very small mobo, one of the efficiency series probably)
AMD Sempron 1.8GHz socket AM2 CPU
2 x 1GB DDR2 RAM (unknown frequency)
XFX GeForce 8800GS GPU

More about : system boot beep video

Best solution

March 7, 2012 11:30:48 PM

1. does ur cpu fan go on ?
2. did u reset cmos (jumper?)
3. did u reset cmos battery
4. did u test ur psu ?
March 7, 2012 11:31:04 PM

thismafiaguy said:
I am working on a custom PC that used to work and boot up without problems, but ever since I took it apart and re-assembled everything, it no longer boots up. There is no beep, and no video of any kind. I did disconnect the AC power when I took it apart. I stripped the system down to bare case, with only the PSU, HDD, and the disc drive still installed. After I re-assembled everything, and connected all the pins and cables, including the 4-pin on the mobo. I connected AC power and tried to boot the system, but there was no beep and no video, even though the fans are turning, and the system appears to be running.

I attempted system boots with no graphics card, then no RAM, but the system yielded the same results. I even brought in another mobo, with another set of RAM and another CPU, yet I still got the same result. I have tried booting without the graphics card and RAM this time around also, but the same thing happens.

What could be the problem here? Could it be a bad PSU? I think it's strange that the system refused to boot even though it worked just fine with that exact combination of parts before I took it apart. And even more unusual that the system produced the same result with a completely different mobo/CPU/RAM set.

Current specs with new mobo/CPU/RAM:
MSI 770-G45 AM3 mobo
AMD Sempron 2.8GHz socket AM3 CPU
2 x 2GB 1333MHz DDR3 RAM
XFX GeForce 8800GS GPU

Original specs:
MCP6PB M2+ AM2 mobo(A very small mobo, one of the efficiency series probably)
AMD Sempron 1.8GHz socket AM2 CPU
2 x 1GB DDR2 RAM (unknown frequency)
XFX GeForce 8800GS GPU

Check and see if you flipped the voltage switch on the back of the PSU. It has a European voltage setting that usually will cause something like this. In my experience it the motherboard would still cause a beep for an error, but messing with the voltage can have random effects.

Note: Some companies will do this intentionally during an interview test to see if you have the troubleshooting detail to check it and most people fail. I happen to run into this very issue on my first build a long time ago.

BEST ANSWER IF I'M RIGHT! lol.
Score
Related resources
March 7, 2012 11:55:06 PM

If your plugged into a surge protector, make sure it is on.

I agree with Wyered1, make sure you look at the voltage switch on the back of the psu.

Also make sure you are connecting all the neccessary power cables correctly.
Score
March 8, 2012 1:07:38 AM

I would definitely like to see an answer to this. I have a very similar mobo to the first one, and similar CPU, and I'm having a similar problem. I had a MSI 785GM-E51 and an AMD Sempron 145. The mobo was sitting in a closet for about 18 months, the CPU was brand new from Newegg that day. The board has onboard graphics. Put computer together, no video signal, no beep codes. I recheck all connections, swap out for the CPU in my desktop, swapped for the memory in my desktop, reset the CMOS jumper and battery, swapped out PSU. RMA'd the board and got a new one, same problem. Talked to customer service, who said they did find something wrong with the board I sent in, but wouldn't tell me what. I RMA's that board too. Just got the new replacement yesterday, put the PC together today, and still has the exact same problem.

At this point I'm about convinced to never buy anything from MSI ever again. These were the first MSI products I've ever owned, and so far it doesn't seem that any of them can get working. I don't even think I'll bother doing an RMA on this one. I've already nearly spent back the cost of the thing shipping these boards to them. Unless I hear a reasonable and effective solution here, I'll just be buying a board from someone not MSI and cut my losses.
Score
a b V Motherboard
March 8, 2012 1:20:49 AM

Usually is a wrong connection somewhere or grounding problem if all the parts used to work fine.
Score
March 8, 2012 3:09:39 AM

DRosencraft said:
I would definitely like to see an answer to this. I have a very similar mobo to the first one, and similar CPU, and I'm having a similar problem. I had a MSI 785GM-E51 and an AMD Sempron 145. The mobo was sitting in a closet for about 18 months, the CPU was brand new from Newegg that day. The board has onboard graphics. Put computer together, no video signal, no beep codes. I recheck all connections, swap out for the CPU in my desktop, swapped for the memory in my desktop, reset the CMOS jumper and battery, swapped out PSU. RMA'd the board and got a new one, same problem. Talked to customer service, who said they did find something wrong with the board I sent in, but wouldn't tell me what. I RMA's that board too. Just got the new replacement yesterday, put the PC together today, and still has the exact same problem.

At this point I'm about convinced to never buy anything from MSI ever again. These were the first MSI products I've ever owned, and so far it doesn't seem that any of them can get working. I don't even think I'll bother doing an RMA on this one. I've already nearly spent back the cost of the thing shipping these boards to them. Unless I hear a reasonable and effective solution here, I'll just be buying a board from someone not MSI and cut my losses.

Very peculiar... I'm thinking... New PSU, new CPU, new memory, no video card, and no results. You simply MUST be doing something wrong. I'm going to look up the specs for your motherboard and get back to you. In the mean time, can you get me the exact PSU and memory you are using? Can you post a picture of your PC internals configured?
Score
March 8, 2012 2:51:42 PM

Wyered1 said:
Very peculiar... I'm thinking... New PSU, new CPU, new memory, no video card, and no results. You simply MUST be doing something wrong. I'm going to look up the specs for your motherboard and get back to you. In the mean time, can you get me the exact PSU and memory you are using? Can you post a picture of your PC internals configured?

I've built at least ten computers in the past six years. I put together the desktop that I use now, and I helped by brother put together the PC he's using. I wish this were a matter of something I am doing wrong, because at least there is something I can do so it doesn't happen again. Keep in mind, this wasn't even supposed to be anything complicated. I already have a working desktop. This was going to be a home-server/NAS build.

As for the specs, the first board I tested using a Rosewill R103A and the power supply that came with it. I had used that PSU before, so I knew it worked. Also used a single stick of 2GB OCZ Platinum Edition DDR3 1333 @1.8v pulled from the 2-stick set that had been in my desktop. CPU is the Sempron 145 with a Cooler Master 212 CPU cooler.

When that didn't work, I tested the same setup with a 1020X Enermax PSU from my bother's desktop, and his AMD Radeon HD 6950 (on the off chance the system would default to that rather than the integrated graphics).

The second board I used, I switched to the Enermax 1020W PSU in my brother's system, and the Phenom II X6 1090T in my primary system. Also switched to the other OCZ stick. Still no luck.

This third and last board, which I am about to complete troubleshooting, was tested with the Rocketfish 1000W PSU in my primary system, going back to the Sempron, and now testing them outside of any case (on the mobo box the board came in, as per the recommendation of MSI's customer service).

I should also note that I have tried these boards on 3 different monitors; a Dell 17" CRT, an Acer 21.5" LCD, and an Asus 23" LCD.

My belief at this point is that there is a problem with MSI's 700 chipset. But, I'm trying to keep an open mind. Any help for me or the guy who started this thread would be awesome.

UPDATE: So, after running through a number of tests, my brother and I got a video signal... briefly. Disconnected everything, reconnected them all. Reset CMOS. Got to the BIOS splash screen. Noted a CHECKSUM error. Then the image on the screen began to jump and break up, and the system froze. Since then, nothing has been able to get the board working again. So... make of that what you will
Score
March 8, 2012 8:39:27 PM

Didn't mean to insult you, plus it's never too late to learn something. I was just saying, I find it very hard to believe, even talking MSI crap, that three boards would all have the exact same severe issue, brand new, to the same customer. It's not impossible obviously, but hard to believe. And Occam's Razer tell me that the simplest solution being human error is most likely the solution to this problem. I doubt you are doing anything trivial wrong, but maybe you are using an incompatible hardware, or maybe something small is wrong you have never needed to deal with in your other 10 builds.

I agree that if you indeed have checked all you said and also the things I mentioned your are into something interesting. I'd like to put my own hands on it and see if I can find the problem. I agree removing it from the case was probably a good idea at this point.
Score
a b V Motherboard
March 8, 2012 9:30:53 PM

@drosencraft--If you don't have a thread yet for your issue, you should start one. If you do, can you link it?
Score
March 8, 2012 10:35:02 PM

Wyered1 said:
Didn't mean to insult you, plus it's never too late to learn something. I was just saying, I find it very hard to believe, even talking MSI crap, that three boards would all have the exact same severe issue, brand new, to the same customer. It's not impossible obviously, but hard to believe. And Occam's Razer tell me that the simplest solution being human error is most likely the solution to this problem. I doubt you are doing anything trivial wrong, but maybe you are using an incompatible hardware, or maybe something small is wrong you have never needed to deal with in your other 10 builds.

I agree that if you indeed have checked all you said and also the things I mentioned your are into something interesting. I'd like to put my own hands on it and see if I can find the problem. I agree removing it from the case was probably a good idea at this point.

No, no, I'm don't mean to say you're insulting me. I was trying to highlight how unusual this problem is. I am resigned, however, to the fact that I am susceptible as of late to a rash of bizarre incidents. Recently I went through four hard drives in six months after the original I had died after a year, and the subsequent replacements each died after only a month. Those were in my desktop. But in that case I was able to find out from my mobo maker there (Biostar) that it was a faulty SATA controller, and they've now replaced the board.

As you've said, it's never too late to learn something new. That's what's so frustrating here. I've done everything I know to do, and I haven't been able to get it working but that one time when it stopped less than 5 minutes later. Right now I've given up on the board. I'm buying a new board and I'll move on from there. I'll keep the MSI board around and see if one day I can't think of something new to try, or figure out some little thing I might have missed. For me, this case is just about closed.
Score
March 9, 2012 1:47:06 PM

DRosencraft said:
No, no, I'm don't mean to say you're insulting me. I was trying to highlight how unusual this problem is. I am resigned, however, to the fact that I am susceptible as of late to a rash of bizarre incidents. Recently I went through four hard drives in six months after the original I had died after a year, and the subsequent replacements each died after only a month. Those were in my desktop. But in that case I was able to find out from my mobo maker there (Biostar) that it was a faulty SATA controller, and they've now replaced the board.

As you've said, it's never too late to learn something new. That's what's so frustrating here. I've done everything I know to do, and I haven't been able to get it working but that one time when it stopped less than 5 minutes later. Right now I've given up on the board. I'm buying a new board and I'll move on from there. I'll keep the MSI board around and see if one day I can't think of something new to try, or figure out some little thing I might have missed. For me, this case is just about closed.

These are the exact senerios I try to convey to people who argue Biostar and ASrock are better buys on here. The mainboard is not something you should buy the bargain brands for if you can help it. Just because their specs line up at a cheaper price, you might as well buy an open box item for a name brand board. I never stray from Gigabyte or ASUS on my builds.
Score
March 18, 2012 1:16:28 AM

Best answer selected by thismafiaguy.
Score
March 18, 2012 1:19:45 AM

It turns out that this was caused by not resetting the BIOS. I had no idea that was part of the process for a CPU change, even if it was from a Sempron to another Sempron. Thanks so much for the replies though! Learning something new everyday. I'm just a dumb high school kid but I do appreciate everyone's comments!
Score
a c 329 V Motherboard
March 18, 2012 12:54:04 PM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
!