A95 File Number Problem

Last response: in Digital Camera
February 14, 2005 7:28:55 PM

I've had the A95 for about 3 months. Once the file number reset to 1 after a
reformat then everything seemed to work ok for a few weeks (I set the file
number to where it should have been by renaming in card reader). Now I've
just noticed it's re-using numbers, i.e instead of the first file on card
being 2248 which it should have been, it was 2226. Now that I know this is
happening, I'll be careful to save images to pc before re-formatting, then
take a test shot after reformat. Fortunately the problem is easy to rectify
but it's definitely something that shouldn't happen. I would suspect the
internal battery (which doesn't appear to be accessable), but date/time seem
ok as does the owner name. Anyone else seen anything similar. I wouldn't
send it back just for this.
Dave Cohen
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 7:28:56 PM

Dave Cohen wrote:

> I've had the A95 for about 3 months. Once the file number reset
> to 1 after a reformat then everything seemed to work ok for a
> few weeks (I set the file number to where it should have been
> by renaming in card reader).

I'm very surprised at this. In both my Canon S30 and in my
Pentax Optio 750Z, the file numbers must be remembered
internally, not on the card. I can completely erase the card or
switch to a different card, or reformat the card, with no reset
of the file numbers. Putting an image with a particular file
number on the card was NOT the way to get it to remember numbers.

On my cameras, there is an option in the configuration menu that
says whether to remember numbers or reset them. Are you sure you
have your options set to remember numbers?

> Now I've just noticed it's re-using numbers, i.e instead of the
> first file on card being 2248 which it should have been, it was
> 2226.

It may be that the camera has a safety net for file numbers.
Maybe it remembers numbers internally (or not, depending on the
configuration option setting), but also checks the card to be
sure not to overwrite an existing image on the card.

Maybe you're hitting that software.

> Now that I know this is happening, I'll be careful to
> save images to pc before re-formatting, then take a test shot
> after reformat. Fortunately the problem is easy to rectify but
> it's definitely something that shouldn't happen. I would
> suspect the internal battery (which doesn't appear to be
> accessable), but date/time seem ok as does the owner name.
> Anyone else seen anything similar. I wouldn't send it back just
> for this.
> Dave Cohen

I agree. If the clock is okay, the internal battery must be
okay. I'm guessing either something else is broken or, more
likely, that it isn't configured to remember file numbers.

Alan
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 2:32:10 PM

Thanks guys, no the file number is not remembered on the card, it's held
internally as part of the settings. And of course file number reset is at
off. I might mention I was using an A40 for a couple of years so it's not a
user problem. I've tried removing the AA cells for a while but that didn't
cause a problem. I suspect it's a defect of some sort. I can live with it if
it doesn't happen too often and now I'm careful to always take a shot after
a card reformat to insure everything is ok. It did cause me to learn how to
fiddle with and master Canon's card numbering scheme!!
Dave Cohen

!