Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Lower game settings=lower frame rate!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 28, 2011 1:20:51 AM

Hello, I have run into a problem with my XFX 5770 1Gb, that everytime I play a game, ocasional stutters and frame drops occurs on screen, always in the same locations, but the game ran smoothly in other computers. I have a Core2Duo E7500 @ 2,93Ghz, 2Gb of 333Mhz DDR2 memory and play games at 1152x864 resolution, a rather low one in a Windows 7x32 machine. So, trying to get rid of this frame drops, thinking my computer wasn't strong enought for most games, I tried lowering the settings for some of them and, to my surprise, the framerate was significantly worse in most of them (used FRAPS)!

Mirros Edge dropped to 40 in certain areas but ran at steady 60 in others, in low settings it struggled to get to 50 Fps!
Bioshock 2 would drop to 40fps in some areas but when I unchecked ALL of the game eyecandies it ran at 25 fps all the time!
Same for

My question is, what might be causing these frame drops in highest settings, my computer isn't good enough even at that resolution?
Why don't things get better when I try to lower the game graphics?

I ran a temp program and it showed 63ÂșC max temp on the CPU and the GPU wouldn't get to 60.

Sorry for the English, I'm from Brazil.
January 28, 2011 1:35:45 AM

try updating to the latest driers and see if ur card is getting enough power from the psu.A 5770 is extreme overkill at that resolution.it can easily play all games at high settings till 1680X1050.
Score
January 28, 2011 1:42:47 AM

celpas said:
try updating to the latest driers and see if ur card is getting enough power from the psu.A 5770 is extreme overkill at that resolution.it can easily play all games at high settings till 1680X1050.

Thanks for the fast reply. I tested the latest driver but switched back to Catalyst 10.10e since thay gave better performance. About the PSU, how can I see it? I have a Seventeam 450W.
Score
Related resources

Best solution

January 28, 2011 2:55:44 AM

its not about drivers, its about cpu load, you see when you lower the detail on such a low resolution, your gpu is not having any load thus passing all of it to the cpu, you said you have a dual core which is alright for gaming, but when you lower the details you are killin it, that is why you get lower fps when lowering the detail, what i suggest is high up the details to pass the load to the gpu and overclock your cpu a little to balance the load in between, that should do it.

if you dont mind, whats your native resolution?
January 28, 2011 12:09:00 PM

surda said:
its not about drivers, its about cpu load, you see when you lower the detail on such a low resolution, your gpu is not having any load thus passing all of it to the cpu, you said you have a dual core which is alright for gaming, but when you lower the details you are killin it, that is why you get lower fps when lowering the detail, what i suggest is high up the details to pass the load to the gpu and overclock your cpu a little to balance the load in between, that should do it.

if you dont mind, whats your native resolution?

1152x864
Is there a way to pass even more load from the CPU to the GPU? Even at the highest settings, there are still small stutters like the games are loading or something, but in other computers I don't see this. I tried OCing my CPU but my Bios is locked, I can't change anything there, and I saw somehwhere that software OCing isn't that great, so I gave up.
Score
February 7, 2011 1:18:44 PM

Best answer selected by alvespaa.
Score
February 7, 2011 6:53:45 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!