9800 gtx on a dell E520 ????

Status
Not open for further replies.

manny909

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
Can anyone tell me if i can run a 9800 gtx ddr2 1gb card on a dell dimension e520
specs are
-intel pentium D 2.66 gh.
-650 watt power supply with 20+4main connector 6 pin pci express and a 1*6+2 pin pci express sli ready
-4gb ram ddr2
is this the one or is there a better one i need to know thanks

Solution
I just watched my Dell e510 bite the dust a year ago, and I'm fairly sure you're limited to the Pentium 4 and Pentium D processors. Don't go trying to buy a new motherboard, either, because if the e510 and e520 cases are the same, it's BTX form factor, which is basically proprietary. You'd need a single-slot card for that case, too.

A 9800GTX would definitely be bottlenecked by a Pentium D. You're basically looking at a whole new system if you want to effectively use a 9800GTX, if my memory of my past experiences serves me right...

opexx

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010
uhmm you would need to let me know what kind of mobo you got and i could let you know in a few minutes. if you don't know and don't know how to find out, download a program called CPU-Z

manny909

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011

umm i have that program but wats mobo

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
I just watched my Dell e510 bite the dust a year ago, and I'm fairly sure you're limited to the Pentium 4 and Pentium D processors. Don't go trying to buy a new motherboard, either, because if the e510 and e520 cases are the same, it's BTX form factor, which is basically proprietary. You'd need a single-slot card for that case, too.

A 9800GTX would definitely be bottlenecked by a Pentium D. You're basically looking at a whole new system if you want to effectively use a 9800GTX, if my memory of my past experiences serves me right...

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.