Using Cingular abroad

I once called a friend with a "Cingular International Cellular" and he
answered from overseas.. same # he has in USA.. Do you need a special
subscription? He claimed he didn't have to swap sim card?

- = -
Vasos-Peter John Panagiotopoulos II, Columbia'81+, Bio$trategist
BachMozart ReaganQuayle EvrytanoKastorian
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/vjp2/vasos.htm
[Fooey on GIU,{MS,X}Windows 4 Bimbos] [Cigar smoke belongs in veg food group]

Jer

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2004

vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:
> I once called a friend with a "Cingular International Cellular" and he
> answered from overseas.. same # he has in USA.. Do you need a special
> subscription? He claimed he didn't have to swap sim card?

Calling a Cingular customer who is roaming on a non-U.S. system is
nothing special. Automated call delivery has been around for many
years, and many of us prefer to roam with our own numbers instead of
swapping SIM cards.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

"Jer" <gdunn@airmail.ten> wrote in message
> vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:
>> I once called a friend with a "Cingular International Cellular" and he
>> answered from overseas.. same # he has in USA.. Do you need a special
>> subscription? He claimed he didn't have to swap sim card?
>
> Calling a Cingular customer who is roaming on a non-U.S. system is nothing
> special. Automated call delivery has been around for many years, and many
> of us prefer to roam with our own numbers instead of swapping SIM cards.

You'd prefer you mean to pay dollars per minute, instead of pennies per
minute?

Just what a Cellular shill would want you to trick you into doing.

GET YOUR PHONE UNLOCKED, and buy a sim locally when in Europe.
Save big bucks!!

Jer

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2004

Connie Crayfish wrote:
> "Jer" <gdunn@airmail.ten> wrote in message
>
>>vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:
>>
>>>I once called a friend with a "Cingular International Cellular" and he
>>>answered from overseas.. same # he has in USA.. Do you need a special
>>>subscription? He claimed he didn't have to swap sim card?
>>
>>Calling a Cingular customer who is roaming on a non-U.S. system is nothing
>>special. Automated call delivery has been around for many years, and many
>>of us prefer to roam with our own numbers instead of swapping SIM cards.
>

> You'd prefer you mean to pay dollars per minute, instead of pennies per
> minute?
>
> Just what a Cellular shill would want you to trick you into doing.
>
> GET YOUR PHONE UNLOCKED, and buy a sim locally when in Europe.
> Save big bucks!!

Having a different SIM means having a different number, no?

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

Yes, but you have to have Cingular activate the area you want to go to for
roaming. I use two SIM's. My regular on to get calls and a country
specific prepaid to make calls. Much cheaper and no charge for inbound, but
you are right, it is not your number. Other trick is get the prepaid and
simply dial in and get your voice mail every now and then. If you are
expecting an important call on your number, put the SIM in, answer and then
call back.

> Connie Crayfish wrote:
>> "Jer" <gdunn@airmail.ten> wrote in message

>>>Calling a Cingular customer who is roaming on a non-U.S. system is
>>>nothing special. Automated call delivery has been around for many years,
>>>and many of us prefer to roam with our own numbers instead of swapping
>>>SIM cards.
>>

>> You'd prefer you mean to pay dollars per minute, instead of pennies per
>> minute?
>>
>> Just what a Cellular shill would want you to trick you into doing.
>>
>> GET YOUR PHONE UNLOCKED, and buy a sim locally when in Europe.
>> Save big bucks!!
>
> Having a different SIM means having a different number, no?
>
> --
> jer
> email reply - I am not a 'ten'

Jer

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2004

Phil Lewis wrote:
> Yes, but you have to have Cingular activate the area you want to go to for
> roaming. I use two SIM's. My regular on to get calls and a country
> specific prepaid to make calls. Much cheaper and no charge for inbound, but
> you are right, it is not your number. Other trick is get the prepaid and
> simply dial in and get your voice mail every now and then. If you are
> expecting an important call on your number, put the SIM in, answer and then
> call back.

Okay, I'm starting to get the picture, but it sure seems complicated
just to save a couple of bucks. I suppose if one had a forwarding
number stateside that could divert inbound calls to whatever the foreign
temp number was could work, and save stateside callers the LD charges to
whatever country I was hiding in for any given year.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

Joseph

Distinguished
May 19, 2002

On Mon, 16 May 2005 19:36:31 -0500, Jer <gdunn@airmail.ten> wrote:

>Having a different SIM means having a different number, no?

Yes, it does mean having a different number. If you want to be
reached use a service that will target any number you wish such as
kall8.

Joseph

Distinguished
May 19, 2002

On Mon, 16 May 2005 21:43:20 -0500, Jer <gdunn@airmail.ten> wrote:

>Okay, I'm starting to get the picture, but it sure seems complicated
>just to save a couple of bucks. I suppose if one had a forwarding
>number stateside that could divert inbound calls to whatever the foreign
>temp number was could work, and save stateside callers the LD charges to
>whatever country I was hiding in for any given year.

Just exactly what the kall8 service <http://www.kall8.com> does. You
get a toll-free number that can target any dialable number in the
world. Western European number targets are generally around 5¢/minute
for wireline numbers and 25 - 35¢/minute for mobile numbers.

On Mon, 16 May 2005 21:43:20 -0500, Jer <gdunn@airmail.ten> wrote:

>Phil Lewis wrote:
>> Yes, but you have to have Cingular activate the area you want to go to for
>> roaming. I use two SIM's. My regular on to get calls and a country
>> specific prepaid to make calls. Much cheaper and no charge for inbound, but
>> you are right, it is not your number. Other trick is get the prepaid and
>> simply dial in and get your voice mail every now and then. If you are
>> expecting an important call on your number, put the SIM in, answer and then
>> call back.
>>

>Okay, I'm starting to get the picture, but it sure seems complicated
>just to save a couple of bucks. I suppose if one had a forwarding
>number stateside that could divert inbound calls to whatever the foreign
>temp number was could work, and save stateside callers the LD charges to
>whatever country I was hiding in for any given year.

It can add up quickly to a LOT of bucks.

I don't go overseas much and I gave up my cheap t-mobile .29 inbound
rates for phone coverage with Cingular.

That kall8 service sounds great. I wonder if you could forward you
mobile number to the service so that it would be seemless to the
caller? You would have to pay whatever Cingular charges for
forwarding plus the kall8 charges but I'll bet it's still WAY lower
than Cingular international roaming charges.

Anyone know what Cingular charges for forwarding? TM just took it out
of your bucket of minutes but I believe they are the only ones that do
that.

Joseph

Distinguished
May 19, 2002

On Tue, 17 May 2005 10:28:31 -0400, nospam@ptd.net wrote:

>That kall8 service sounds great. I wonder if you could forward you
>mobile number to the service so that it would be seemless to the
>caller? You would have to pay whatever Cingular charges for
>forwarding plus the kall8 charges but I'll bet it's still WAY lower
>than Cingular international roaming charges.

The only thing that's "different" is your caller has to wait a while
longer for your number to ring. When it does ring it won't have the
US 440/350 Hz ring back but will have the European style single tone.

How do the two-sim adapters work?
Do you have to manually switch them?
There are also gadgets that let you copy two SIMs into one.
I hesitate using them probably because i'm afraid I'd lose service
if they figured out

- = -
Vasos-Peter John Panagiotopoulos II, Columbia'81+, Bio$trategist
BachMozart ReaganQuayle EvrytanoKastorian
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/vjp2/vasos.htm
[Fooey on GIU,{MS,X}Windows 4 Bimbos] [Cigar smoke belongs in veg food group]

Joseph

Distinguished
May 19, 2002

On Tue, 17 May 2005 22:49:10 +0000 (UTC),
vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:

>How do the two-sim adapters work?
>Do you have to manually switch them?
>There are also gadgets that let you copy two SIMs into one.
>I hesitate using them probably because i'm afraid I'd lose service
>if they figured out

Some dual SIM adapters you power off your phone and repower it to get
to the other SIM. Some have a switch.

So there is nothing I need to do if I am content to keep paying Cingular?

- = -
Vasos-Peter John Panagiotopoulos II, Columbia'81+, Bio$trategist
BachMozart ReaganQuayle EvrytanoKastorian
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/vjp2/vasos.htm
[Fooey on GIU,{MS,X}Windows 4 Bimbos] [Cigar smoke belongs in veg food group]

Jer

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2004

vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:
> So there is nothing I need to do if I am content to keep paying Cingular?

If you're like me where jumping across border after border is standard
operating procedure, never really caring which country you're in, then
the only thing you need to do is make sure Cingular has your account
flagged to allow international roaming *and* international dialing.
Once you've registered as a roamer on a foreign system, your inbound
calls should find you, assuming everything else is working as it should.
OTOH, there's bound to be a country where Cingular can't find you, but
I've not found it. Yet.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'