Sign in with
Your question
Closed

5970 or GTX 580 T______T?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 28, 2011 3:09:21 AM

Sooooo, with tax returns around the corner Ive considered selling my 5870 to my bud whose building a new PC and planning my Graphics card future. Ive pretty much narrowed it down to two cards: The humble ATI 5970, or the New Kid on the block the GTX580. After viewing many benchmarks and reviews between the cards Ive found it still hard to make a decision so was hoping i could get some input from all you pc techies. I know that each card is different based on the situation so ill list mine:

Coolermaster HAF 922 /w liquid cooling and some noice fans.
Asus M4A785TD-V Evo Board. (Just a decent board with a single x16 slot since I dont plan to CF or SLi since I play mostly MMOS).
Phenom II x4 965 (3.4Ghz) (Decent CPU, dont see the need to get a beefy i7 though I wish i could overclock this fella...)
4G of DD3 1800 cache or w/e its called (RAM).
750G WD 7200 Hard Drive.
Acer GD235Hz (One of the first 1080p monitors with 120hz and is also Nvidia 3-D ready.) <--- GTX580 Adv here.

One of the big things to note is i plan on doing just a single monitor at 1920-1080 for the time being. Dont plan on changing that.
I really much rather get a 5970 but Ive recently found out about how the dual GPU works on that card. While it has 2G, its limited to 1G for games that dont support CF or when your playing a game Windowed. While this is a major turnoff for me since FFXIV cant be alt tabbed out of, I still think everything else in the 5970 screams amazing rendering abilities.
Id honestly rather avoid getting a GTX 580 since my monitor being 3-D ready doesnt merit owning it to me....

As far as the games I plan to play, 99% of them would be MMO's and as we all know MMo's for the most part dont like CF too much, so id only be using the 1G whereas the GTX580 will be always pumping that extra 500MBs of GPU since its a SINGLE GPU card. Future MMOS i plan to play are GW2, TERA and Rift: Planes of Telara and while I know both of these cards will rip those games, im somewhat a AA whore so I like capping the game out to make it look its absolute best.

With all these things in mind which card would work better for me? I suppose the 6970 was worth mentioning so I guess ill throw that one in too. Heard something about a 2G frame buffer on that one vs the 1G frame buffer on the 5970, wtf does that even mean?

More about : 5970 gtx 580

a b U Graphics card
January 28, 2011 3:17:54 AM

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

Benchmarks answer your question. The 580 is quite a bit better than any current consumer ati card. I'm really looking forward to tera, and the 580 will dominate that. I've already played rift on the beta, it's really NOT that graphics intensive so no worries there. And i wouldn't be worried about GW2 on either card. If you want the cheaper one go with the ATI. If you can spare the money and really want that extra performance, then DEFINITELY go with the 580.

Hope this helps :) 

Also, frame buffer is a buffer that stores a picture pixel by pixel. A 2G(b) card has 2 gigs of buffer space, whereas a 1G(b) card as 1GB of buffer space.
Score
January 28, 2011 3:54:04 AM

Thanks for your help, what i meant was does buffer size matter? And what does it do? Hate to say it but that chart sure does show the cruel truth ; ;. My question as far as the dual GPU thing for the 5970 is, does it just reduce the GPU to 1G or does it cut the other things in half too? For example when your read the card specs it says shader processors 2x 1600 and texture units 2x80 and memory bandwith 2x 120 GB/s does that mean all those 2x become 1x too?

If thats true than the 5970 is just to force CF 5870's which is what i had before and it was a nightmare playing MMOs, then that 3dmark chart makes sense.....
Score
Related resources
a c 216 U Graphics card
January 28, 2011 4:25:03 AM

I'd recommend either not selling 5870 and going crossfire with it, which would be faster and a cheaper option to getting a 5970, or getting the 580. I'm not a fan of starting off with a crossfire setup. I view it as more of an upgrade path.
Score
January 28, 2011 4:35:59 AM

Quote:
560's in SLI > Single 580 by a good 20+ percent
True, but if your read my post you would notice I have a AMD board and CPU which wont be able to run SLi and regardless in not planning to do dual cards, im talking single most powerful graphics card.
Score
January 28, 2011 4:37:27 AM

bystander said:
I'd recommend either not selling 5870 and going crossfire with it, which would be faster and a cheaper option to getting a 5970, or getting the 580. I'm not a fan of starting off with a crossfire setup. I view it as more of an upgrade path.
That's a thought but honestly it depends on how the dual gpu's work in 5970, if anyone here can answer that for me? How the GPUS/shaders work with a 5970 in a game thats not CF compliant or dual GPU friendly.
Score

Best solution

a c 216 U Graphics card
January 28, 2011 5:14:13 AM

Darkfalz89 said:
That's a thought but honestly it depends on how the dual gpu's work in 5970, if anyone here can answer that for me? How the GPUS/shaders work with a 5970 in a game thats not CF compliant or dual GPU friendly.

A 5970 operates just like any other crossfire setup as far as apps go. The only difference in your system is that you don't have to have 2 PCIe slots.

If a game doesn't work well with CF, it won't work well with a 5970. If it doesn't CF at all, then you would be playing on 1 of the GPU's on the card only, so it's like a downclocked 5870.
January 28, 2011 5:17:35 AM

Best answer selected by Darkfalz89.
Score
January 28, 2011 5:17:41 AM

Ouch........................ So just as i thought, if the game doesnt CF well or CF at all you lose that other half of the card....so pretty much its two 5870's (Gimp 5870's from what it seems.) ducktaped together in one pci slot.......................GTX 580 here we come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 28, 2011 5:53:33 AM

opexx said:
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

Benchmarks answer your question. The 580 is quite a bit better than any current consumer ati card. I'm really looking forward to tera, and the 580 will dominate that. I've already played rift on the beta, it's really NOT that graphics intensive so no worries there. And i wouldn't be worried about GW2 on either card. If you want the cheaper one go with the ATI. If you can spare the money and really want that extra performance, then DEFINITELY go with the 580.

I'm a bit late on this thread, but I'd like to clear something up: Passmark's videocardbenchmark.net is not the authority on video card performance! It is a handy quick reference tool. But if you wish to compare any top end card made in the last year or so (Radeon 5000 & 6000, GeForce 400 & 500 series), you MUST go look at benchmarked reviews.

It is a plain fact that a 6970 will get you better frame rates in any game that works with crossfire (most) than a GTX 580. It is a more powerful card. You might notice if you look at videocardbenchmark.net that it scores a 6850 higher than a 5970--well that's because passmark does not score new Radeons correctly and gives a huge advantage to NVidia cards. Passmark's benchmark is not a game and does not tell you exactly how games will go. Benchmarked reviews do. Just to let you know how heinous the error putting a 6850 over a 5970 is: 5970 > GTX580 > 6970/GTX570 > 5870 > 6950*> GTX560/GTX470 > GTX460 > 6870/5850 > 6850.

If money is no object for you, then look at how a couple games you're interested in scale with crossfire in reviews of Radeon 6000 series GPU's. If crossfire works (which is most of the time), so will a 5970. Then again, if money is no object, I'd get a GTX 580 and a NVidia 3D kit down the road.

*better because it can unlock to a 6970
Score
January 28, 2011 6:18:45 AM

I can see what your saying, yet the games I plan to play as I mentioned are MMO's. Most MMO's I currently play dont support/have shitty support for CF so doing a dual GPU like 5970 would be a waste of money. Is a 6970 a dual? I have to look into that. Maybe if i found some more framerate charts for the newer lineup....
Score
January 28, 2011 6:47:20 AM

Quote:
Who buys a black edition processor then pair's it with a crappy low end board?

Didn't really think much of it at the time, but looking back at your previous statement my understanding is that a AMD board can't SLi two Nvidia cards? I just feel in my situation, playing games that either dont support/dont have good CF support would merit a single strong GPU. This pretty much leaves me to decide on a GTX 580, rather than considering a 6970 (while its pretty damn sweet it still falls short in the single strongest GPU line).
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
January 28, 2011 5:16:01 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!