Couple of questions regarding processor and graphics card choice for a

Dave_Mc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
Hi,

I'm thinking of building a new PC (or more accurately speccing a new-build PC from a manufacturer), and I have a couple of options regarding the processor and graphics card. I'll mainly be using it for games and the internet.

Firstly, am I right in thinking that the Intel multicore processors are now generally considered superior to AMD? That's what I've been reading, anyway.

Anyway, assuming I'm correct in this assumption, I have two options regarding the processor- I can either go with the Intel i7 970 or the new i7 2600K (both are the same price). I think I'm leaning towards the 970, because as far as I can tell from what I've read, it's basically a 980X Extreme Edition without the unlocked multiplier and has 6 cores versus the 2600K's 4, plus I'm a bit wary of going with the 2600K considering it's had some faults so far. However, it is the "newer" processor, so I'm not too sure. Also, if it affects things, the 2600K is professionally overclocked to 4.8GHz, while the 970 doesn't appear to be overclocked at all.

Regarding graphics cards, I have a couple of options on those too.

Standard option (no upcharge) is the nVidia GTX580 (1536MB).

Then, if I go with the 2600K, I can upgrade to the 3GB NVIDIA GTX590 Dual-GPU Graphics card (for about £100).

If I go with the 970, I can upgrade to the 4GB Dual-GPU AMD HD 6990 for £150.

Any ideas?

Summary:

Which processor is better- Intel i7 970 or i7 2600K (overclocked to 4.8GHz)?

Which graphics card is best- nVidia 1536MB GTX580, Dual-GPU 3GB NVIDIA GTX590 (£100 upcharge) or Dual-GPU 4GB AMD HD 6990 (£150 upcharge)?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me,

Dave :)

Dave_Mc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
Oh the title's meant to read, "Couple of questions regarding processor and graphics card choice for a new-build PC"... I ran out of characters and now it won't let me edit my original post... :pfff: