Sign in with
Your question

XFX HD 5850 Black Crashing at stock speeds

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 28, 2011 4:28:48 AM

Hello all. I'm very frustrated with my video card. I just put together a system and have gotten all the software onto it and just about where it needs to be. So I decided to run the stability tests and stamp it a success.

Athlon II X4 B45 @ 3.1 GHz (unlocked X3 445)
Corsair A50 CPU cooler
MSI 870-G45 motherboard
Corsair XMS 2x2GB PC-1333
XFX HD 5850 Black
Antec Green 430w PSU

The MSI onboard core unlock worked great. No issues with that at all. Then I tried the onboard over clocking, seemed to work great. Took the speeds to:

CPU @ 3.45GHz, Bus @ 224MHz, HT/NB @ 2240MHz, DRAM @ 597MHz

I ran HyperPI, no issues. I ran Cinebench, no issues. I ran Prime95, no issues. I ran Furmark benchmark, no issues. CPU Temps were max 73c on prime95.

But when I ran Furmark stability it crashed hard. Booted back up with an error "A hyper transport sync flood error occured on last boot". So I went in and dialed the HT/NB @ 2070MHz (stock is 200MHz). Ran benchmark and it was glitchy. Ran it a couple times in a row and the card approached 80c and complete failure. According to this forum those temperatures aren't that extreme!

Turned off all the motherboard overclocking:
X4 CPU @ 3.1GHz, Bus @ 200MHz, HT/NB @ 2000MHz, DRAM @ 666MHz

Still crashed in furmark. I downloaded Heaven, and it glitched off and on for a while and then got so bad I hit the escape key and aborted. Why is my factory video card giving me such problems and what can I do about it?
January 28, 2011 6:03:33 AM

Well, a 430w PSU is pretty low for that card. That might be the issue. 73C on CPU is pretty high too. An RMA might help. If you get the card back from an RMA, then I would upgrade the PSU.
m
l
January 28, 2011 12:09:19 PM

HostileDonut said:
Well, a 430w PSU is pretty low for that card. That might be the issue. 73C on CPU is pretty high too. An RMA might help. If you get the card back from an RMA, then I would upgrade the PSU.

I picked this psu based on the December gaming build, and that only used a 380w! I'll see if I can find a bigger unit to try.

Any other suggestions? Running win 7 64bit.
m
l
Related resources
January 28, 2011 2:24:20 PM

I would put the CPU back to a 3 core to complete testing. I think you'd be best with the mobo/CPU @ stock.

I'm a little confused on your temps. You talk about a GPU stability test and then say the CPU temp was 80. Did you mean GPU?

When I get artifacting it's typically memory that is clocked too high, assuming your GPU temps are below 100.

Try slowing your memory on the 5850 down and see if the glitching goes away.

On a side note: I've seen a few references to 5850s not playing well with certain systems. I had a 5850 that refused to function on an Asus Maximus Formula after it was running fine for months. I put the card in another system and it was happy. I never did figure that one out; I ended up with a new system :) 
m
l
January 28, 2011 2:59:13 PM

firebird said:
I would put the CPU back to a 3 core to complete testing. I think you'd be best with the mobo/CPU @ stock.

I'm a little confused on your temps. You talk about a GPU stability test and then say the CPU temp was 80. Did you mean GPU?

When I get artifacting it's typically memory that is clocked too high, assuming your GPU temps are below 100.

Try slowing your memory on the 5850 down and see if the glitching goes away.

On a side note: I've seen a few references to 5850s not playing well with certain systems. I had a 5850 that refused to function on an Asus Maximus Formula after it was running fine for months. I put the card in another system and it was happy. I never did figure that one out; I ended up with a new system :) 

I'll try setting the CPU to bone stock and try again.

CPU temp on prime95 was 73c, which from what I can tell is the biggest workout I can give it. What I meant by it is that I don't think its CPU related.

I'll run memtest tonight and see what happens with that, thanks for the idea.

I don't want to turn down the Vid card either. I bought the black factory overclocked so it would be guaranteed to run at those speeds!

Going to call the store I bought it from and see if they will let me come in and try out a bigger psu. A few people have said power right off the bat so I have to try that out. I'll post an update asap. More comments are always welcome!
m
l
January 28, 2011 3:13:50 PM

I'm going to say that power would be the last thing I would think of. In my system I don't go over 420 watts very often (and I have two 5850s, and an overclocked i7950).

I know it's possible, but I'd be leaning more towards the CPU core unlock, or a faulty Video card. I wasn't suggesting you use the card at slower speeds for anything other then testing. If it didn't crash or glitch when slowed down, it might help to pinpoint the issue.
m
l
January 31, 2011 9:47:01 PM

UPDATE - FAN CONTROL ISSUE

I hope this may serve to help other people. Here's where I am now.

I took the side off of the case and re-ran furmark. I noticed that as it touched 80 celcius the image would freeze, and moments later start moving again. The temperature graph showed a drop in temps. This would repeat over and over. Similar to a car hitting the rev limiter.

I searched the internet and read about fan control and temps, so I downloaded and installed MSI Afterburner. I re-ran the furmark and went back out and checked my graphs.

THE FAN WASN'T INCREASING IN SPEED AS THE GPU TEMP INCREASED!!!

So basically the card was ramping up like crazy, but it wasnt trying to cool itself! WTF is up with that?

I tested again at 75% fan speed and presto, made it all the way through furmark benchmark for the first time ever, only approaching 80c at the end of the test.

So I created a custom profile for the fan and tested it out on Fallout 3 and yeah, sub-60c temperatures. I need to play with it a bit to get a good fan/temp curve, but at least its up and running.

Thanks again for all the help, I hope this topic helps others.

Any further comments will still be appreciated.
m
l
January 31, 2011 10:14:01 PM

Well, good. I am happy you fixed it. :) 
m
l
February 7, 2011 5:03:00 PM

Hi I took it appart and checked the heat pads on the chips , one was a bit dodgy ,sorted crashing
m
l
January 24, 2012 9:00:21 AM

You had to manually adjust your fan?
Sounds like a personal problem, mine is at 40% on it's own, I'm at 801/1213 currently and I'm at 85 C
I am wondering why the hell the Fan isn't going beyond to cool itself a little further but at the same time, it isn't overheating at least.
m
l
!