Acer AX3400G-U4802

cuserecorder

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2011
Hellllloooo. i have an ^. i want to upgrade the graphics card, would it be possible to do this? it has a 220w power supply, so i would need to upgrade the power supply, is this at all possible? And what would i price look like? I'm not to good with the inside of a computer haha.
thanks!

Jay_83

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2011
Well, according to specs, you have a PCIE x16 slot inside the PC. So YES, you can upgrade the graphics. You can buy any GPU you like, choice is yours. Just click over to the graphics comparison charts here at Tom's Hardware and see what's powerful enough for you, then check around to see how you like the prices. Three things to keep in mind:
1. Basically any graphics card will perform better than the integrated solution you have currently. You don't need to spend a mountain of cash to see the difference. But if your PC is second-hand, make sure it wasn't already upgraded. If it was, then you might not see a worthwhile boost in performance, depending on the card that might have been installed. If you have the PC from new and didn't upgrade it, then you are running the weak integrated graphics, and an upgrade will help a LOT.
2. Don't buy anything from the top of the charts. Your processor is not hefty enough to let a high-end card stretch its legs. The card will perform around the mid-range mark, so simply go for a GPU from somewhere in that category. This will give you the same performance for much less money.
3. And yes, you will need a new PSU. Look for something with decent reviews and from a known brand. If you don't needlessly buy an over-the-top GPU, go for 400W, 450W maximum.

salzone0816

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011

Thanks a lot - I just got this off of TigerDirect and this was my exact question - having to upgrade the graphics card AND the PSU would have made it be more sensible to get a different model. I will be installing the VisionTek ATI Radeon 4350 early next week. If anyone's interested in an update, post here and I'd be happy to.

http://www.amazon.com/VisionTek-Radeon-Express-Graphics-900270/dp/B002AKKMNI

In any case, qtrhors - your post was very useful to me - thanks very much.

salzone0816

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011

I understand your point and agree with you. However, I'm using the computer as an HTPC and network media center and primarily upgraded the video card to add HDMI and DVI outputs. I got the other one for $30 at TigerDirect, and keeping the price down is my main motivating factor.

G

I have the same computer and bought the same graphics card but when i went to install it there were 2 removable metal tabs in the back of the computer i have no idea what they are for but the end of the graphics card with the ports is too big to fit in the tower and pokes out. to sum this up i just what to know how you were able to fit this into the PC.
Thank You.

qtrhors

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
I have the same computer and bought the same graphics card but when i went to install it there were 2 removable metal tabs in the back of the computer i have no idea what they are for but the end of the graphics card with the ports is too big to fit in the tower and pokes out. to sum this up i just what to know how you were able to fit this into the PC.
Thank You.

The card comes with a bracket in the box that you must swap onto the card. You will lose the VGA port(it unplugs from the card and you dont need it) Then it will fit.

Tim

hah42

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012

Yes, you can upgrade the video, but remember the small power supply (220w). I'm using a Radeon HD 620 in my 3400 and also have used a Geforce GT430. Either is an upgrade over the onboard Geforce 9200 video. Either card should run you less than $75. That said, don't think the 3400 is a machine for a serious gamer. It is not.

salzone0816

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011

I have long since gotten rid of this PC...but I did install whatever graphics card I said I was going to on it and was able to play Skyrim on low settings. Video playback was fine. No issues with PSU for me with a a low power half height/low profile card.