Not really sure what the problem is so I guess I will put it here. My specs are i52500k oc 4.1ghz, 8 gigs ram, antec 650w power supply, hc212 cooler, evga nvidia gtx 460, win7 64 bit. I built my rig about a month ago, but then went on vacation for two weeks, so basically I have been using it for a couple weeks. Oc'd my processor using the gigabyte quickboost tool, since I couldn't seem to stabilize anything myself and I prime 95 that and it ran great for the 12 hours or so I did it. Anyways I have been getting BSOD errors about every 2-3 days for the last couple of weeks. I think it has been a system service error, and it usually lists some system file causing the error, but I can't remember which one off the top of my head. Then I get an error code along the lines of 0x0000003b or something.
The problem seemed to start when I installed some hardware which had its own drivers. Keep in mind that I had only been using the computer for a couple of days so the problem could have been there all along since it only BSOD's once every few days. So I deleted the drivers and all the other software associated with that hardware, but then it BSOD again a couple days later. These BSOD also randomly occur with no similarities with when they occur. And they don't occur during times that would be CPU stressful. I ran memtest86 through 6 passes with no error reports too just to check the memory. This last BSOD happened yesterday, since then I have flashed the BIOS, and so far it hasn't crashed, but at this point in time I obviously can't say if it is fixed or not.
Anyway I just wanted to ask the users here if they have any ideas on something I might try?
I also have a slightly related question about overclocking if this turns out to be the case. I had my processor overclocked to about 4.0 ghz and was having instability. This wasn't due to temperature because I was below 60c while running prime95. So I assumed it was my vcore which I think was 1.35v or slightly above. Meanwhile when I used the gigabyte quickboost included with my motherboard it threw together a 4.1 ghz overclock but according to cpu-z the voltage maxes out at 1.272 when at max cpu speed. So apparently it makes me assume that there is some other issue that isn't the vcore since I had a higher voltage before and was unstable.
I don't know much qpi.vti and dram and other things and google searches haven't lead me to what safe voltages are for my cpu, or if they are even important in the overclocking process. So what other factors besides the core voltage and overclock speed do I need to know about? I assumed because I was only adjusting the cpu multiplier and not the fsb, that it should have no effect on my memory; is this thinking correct? If you had to make a guess on why my system was unstable what would you think? I would like to check all my current settings in the bios and maybe up the voltage a little to see if that fixes the problem, but when I go in the bios it just shows me the default preset, instead of the quickboosted one.
I turned off my overclock. It went for two weeks then got another bsod "uncorrectable hardware error." Any ideas?
EDIT: since I managed to get about another week before bsod since I went to clock speed, it makes me wonder if my power supply is going out? Also, is there any possibility this could be a motherboard issue? Since when I built my computer my mobo was not properly grounded when I first turned it on, but then I fixed it.
Don't overclock with a utility, they suck period. Your chip is very easy to overclock with the unlocked multiplier. I suggest clearing the cmos and starting over by entering the ram and a few other important values manually. There are a gazillion guides on lines that will give you the ability to overclock with just a little reading.
A lot of times after a bad overclock you need to clear the bios, so that's probably why your still crashing with the overclock off.
I have read plenty of guides and overclocked before successfully, but it wouldn't stabilize even at higher values on a low oc. I cleared the bios by resetting to the optimized defaults in the bios, but I didn't actually do it on the motherboard.