Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Bad wireless PCI adapter?

Last response: in Systems
Share
a b B Homebuilt system
April 1, 2011 11:11:55 PM

Hi! My computer with a wireless PCI adapter isnt detecting any wireless networks. However, my computer does detect the PCI adapter. I was wondering how I would know if the PCI adapater is broken.

ALso, what are some good PCI adapters i can buy?

THANKS!
April 1, 2011 11:18:24 PM

Try reinstalling the driver. Are you positive there are networks it should be picking up?
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 2, 2011 3:15:17 AM

kilo_17 said:
Try reinstalling the driver. Are you positive there are networks it should be picking up?


how do i reinstall the driver?

also im pretty sure it should be picking up couple networks. I have a laptop in a similar location that picks up my home network as well as my neighbors.
m
0
l
Related resources
April 2, 2011 3:45:04 AM

Did your PCI adapter come with a CD? If so, pop that in and it should walk you through setting it up. If not, go into Device Manager, look for your PCI adapter, open it up and it should give you options under the "Driver" tab.
m
0
l
April 2, 2011 3:45:38 AM

Are the antennas properly attached?
m
0
l
April 2, 2011 3:46:59 AM

Make sure you are broadcasting the SSID. Maybe your laptop picks up your network because you config it with given SSID. Also, the 802.11 a,g and n standard.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 2, 2011 4:09:43 AM

Pyree said:
Make sure you are broadcasting the SSID. Maybe your laptop picks up your network because you config it with given SSID. Also, the 802.11 a,g and n standard.


lol i have no idea what you are talking about :pt1cable: 
m
0
l
April 2, 2011 4:19:14 AM

May be your wifi is broadcasting with 802.11n but your adaptor only support a and g. In the router setting homepage, after you login, there are option for wifi and you can select not to broadcast your netwok name (SSID). You connect it by preconfig a network profile with the name and password in OS network management before connecting.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 2, 2011 4:24:44 AM

Pyree said:
May be your wifi is broadcasting with 802.11n but your adaptor only support a and g. In the router setting homepage, after you login, there are option for wifi and you can select not to broadcast your netwok name (SSID). You connect it by preconfig a network profile with the name and password in OS network management before connecting.


i have a wireless G broadband router and a wireless G PCI adapter. :cry: 
m
0
l
April 2, 2011 4:26:19 AM

ok how about SSID?
m
0
l
April 2, 2011 4:29:04 AM

The driver is installed, right?
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 2, 2011 4:29:17 AM

Pyree said:
ok how about SSID?


whats SSID? and what should i do with it?
m
0
l
April 2, 2011 4:30:30 AM

if you don't know then I guess you have it left on. So don't worry about it.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 2, 2011 4:33:44 AM

Pyree said:
if you don't know then I guess you have it left on. So don't worry about it.


so should i just buy a new PCI adapter?
m
0
l
April 2, 2011 4:35:57 AM

try kilo_17's suggestion and reinstall the drive. Also try to test it on another slot and another computer.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 2, 2011 4:36:26 AM

kilo_17 said:
The driver is installed, right?



my computer detects the PCI adapter, but i cant get the CD to load. Is that a possible problem?
m
0
l
April 2, 2011 4:37:51 AM

Yeah probably. CD won't load at all?
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 2, 2011 4:43:03 AM

kilo_17 said:
Yeah probably. CD won't load at all?


it detects the CD but it wont run the "setup" command. I can read the manual and everything else jsut fine. whats wrong? the cd works fine on my other computer :heink: 
m
0
l
April 2, 2011 4:45:28 AM

install it by hand. go to device manager right click on the device install the driver by applying the right .ini file from the disc to it
m
0
l
April 2, 2011 4:48:24 AM

Or you can leave the disk in, and see if device manager will automatically find it for you.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 2, 2011 4:58:23 AM

Pyree said:
install it by hand. go to device manager right click on the device install the driver by applying the right .ini file from the disc to it



ok it says the driver is already installed. I dont know what else to do.

its an old PCI adapter so ill just probably buy a new one and hope it works.

if my wireless router is a G, then i need only a G pci adapter right?
m
0
l
April 2, 2011 5:08:55 AM

One more thing. Where is your router and your computer located in relation to the vertical scale. Do you have meatl or bodies of water between the line of sight of the router and the pc. I used to have problem with reception on a old usb adaptor when I put my computer on the ground, and the line of sight is blocked by the computer case. I fixed that by using a extender cable.
m
0
l
April 2, 2011 5:09:26 AM

G will do
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 2, 2011 5:11:54 AM

Pyree said:
One more thing. Where is your router and your computer located in relation to the vertical scale. Do you have meatl or bodies of water between the line of sight of the router and the pc. I used to have problem with reception on a old usb adaptor when I put my computer on the ground, and the line of sight is blocked by the computer case. I fixed that by using a extender cable.



the router and adapter are both on the floor. its not too far apart about 2 rooms away.. is that making a difference?
m
0
l
April 2, 2011 5:15:44 AM

the signal should get through wall. But it is the computer metal case that causes the drop out. Make sure the computer case is not between the router and the antenna of the card.
m
0
l
April 2, 2011 5:25:33 AM

If the driver is installed not metal or water between antenna and router. You haven't touch SSID and window service settings and have your PCI device enabled. Then I am pretty sure the hardware is at fault. Try to test it on another computer. If it still not working, then buy a new card. I will be offline. Got to go to work.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 2, 2011 10:03:40 PM

^Same exact card that I have. It's the absolute best wireless adapter that I have ever used. Just thought I'd throw that into the mix.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 2, 2011 10:16:36 PM

someguynamedmatt said:
^Same exact card that I have. It's the absolute best wireless adapter that I have ever used. Just thought I'd throw that into the mix.


sweet just bought it :lol: 
m
0
l
!