Bad wireless PCI adapter?

computernewb

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
Hi! My computer with a wireless PCI adapter isnt detecting any wireless networks. However, my computer does detect the PCI adapter. I was wondering how I would know if the PCI adapater is broken.

ALso, what are some good PCI adapters i can buy?

THANKS!

computernewb

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010

how do i reinstall the driver?

also im pretty sure it should be picking up couple networks. I have a laptop in a similar location that picks up my home network as well as my neighbors.

kilo_17

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
Did your PCI adapter come with a CD? If so, pop that in and it should walk you through setting it up. If not, go into Device Manager, look for your PCI adapter, open it up and it should give you options under the "Driver" tab.

computernewb

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010

lol i have no idea what you are talking about :pt1cable:

May be your wifi is broadcasting with 802.11n but your adaptor only support a and g. In the router setting homepage, after you login, there are option for wifi and you can select not to broadcast your netwok name (SSID). You connect it by preconfig a network profile with the name and password in OS network management before connecting.

computernewb

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010

i have a wireless G broadband router and a wireless G PCI adapter. :cry:

computernewb

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010

ok it says the driver is already installed. I dont know what else to do.

its an old PCI adapter so ill just probably buy a new one and hope it works.

if my wireless router is a G, then i need only a G pci adapter right?

One more thing. Where is your router and your computer located in relation to the vertical scale. Do you have meatl or bodies of water between the line of sight of the router and the pc. I used to have problem with reception on a old usb adaptor when I put my computer on the ground, and the line of sight is blocked by the computer case. I fixed that by using a extender cable.

computernewb

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010

the router and adapter are both on the floor. its not too far apart about 2 rooms away.. is that making a difference?