[Need Advice] Sub $400 barebone system

hwg33k

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2011
Hi,
I need a barebone system to run a web application and do some real number crunching every night, as well. AWS seems expensive as I am not sure about how long I would go with this web app. Anyways.

Approximate Purchase Date: this month

Budget Range: under 400 or even cheaper :heink:

System Usage from Most to Least Important: host a webapplication, that has some real backend processing. On my i7 notebook,
on VM it takes about 3 hours to complete a job which I would want to reduce. There is all windows jazz running in background though.

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, lcd (I will mostly use ssh to log into it). I might have a display for first time installation or in between repairs or might pick up from craigslist or ebay.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: any would do

Country of Origin: US

Parts Preferences: Cheapest,preferrably AMD

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Don't think it would be required.

Monitor Resolution: N/A

Additional Comments: My primary concern is processing the webrequests and nightly backend processing. I think something of the sort quad core processor with 8 Gigs of Ram would be great.

Will post the configs that I found around.

- I was thinking about a used server but not sure it would come cheap. There are Sun Fire V20z on ebay that are affordable, but they require the blade chassis ? Anyone ?