The Graphics and Displays section is now, no more than a help-me forum

Annisman

Distinguished
May 5, 2007
I hate to say this, but this part of the forum (and maybe other parts that I don't usually visit) seems to have become strictly a place for people to ask questions about compatibility, crashes/driver issues, and constant questions on video card purchases.

Now I'm not delusional, and Tom's has never been strictly about hardcore modding, advanced user setups, and overclocking everything to 4.0Ghz, but it seems there is no longer any interesting conversations about new hardware, user reviews and opinions, how-to guides, or talk about future arcitechtures. Alot of the longer tenured members haven't been around either. Where are you L1quid ?

Even when new cards launch (like the Nvidia 560 Ti) or when new cards are announced (Nvidia GTX 590) there seems to be little to no fanfare or discussion, while on other sites there is interesting conversation being had.

I've always visited other sites like Guru3D, anandtech etc. for more engaging discussion, but I've always felt that Tom's was my home forum. I don't want to abandon the site, but it gets tedious coming here everyday to see what new problems 'new-member46' has with his AGP 3450, and why Counter Strike won't launch in fullscreen mode.

Anyone else feel the same way that I do ?

Hate to be a daisy downer but I thought I had to say something.

Helltech

Distinguished
I wasn't here for the launch of the GTX 560, been busy with school, but I know the launch of the GTX 460 was quite big around here. =]

But I know what you're saying, to talk about things of *that* nature, I usually go to overclockers.net.

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009

I see what you're saying, but interesting conversations about new products and how they stack up to competitors often come about in 'help-me' threads.

The other day there was a 40 post thread on the 560 and the 6950. The basis of the thread was the OP asking which one would be better for them, but the other 39 posts was pretty much a debate/discussion about the virtues of both and possible alternatives to either one.

There is a fine line between having a discussion and just creating a 'vs' thread where the OP is literally doing it to start the inevitable argument between Pro NV and Pro AMD members. So in a sense, the 'help-me' threads are actually a blessing, because they give the impending discussions/debates a context to the OP and a real life decision that needs to be made.

Annisman

Distinguished
May 5, 2007
Yeah, I just saw that thread, it's good of you to point it out. Still, we can all admit that there isn't enough of those threads, and maybe way too many noob-question threads (not that noobs shouldn't get answers of course!) sometimes I wished there was just a little higher 'level' of discussion.

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Yeah, i can see what you're saying, but i actually enjoy helping the individuals who ask the 'noob' questions because it genuinely helps them make an informed decision rather than simply chewing the fat with expert people who have already got stalwart, formed opinions about these things.

But i do enjoy a good debate when those times do arise, though i don't have any time for fanboys etc!

4745454b

Titan
I haven't really been in a real learning thread since JJ left. That man challenged me to learn more about how a CPU is made and how it works then any other person. (or class in school.) I was in a CPU thread about a month ago talking about the new AVX instructions that the FP will handle. The only people talking were me and "JF"(?), the media guy from AMD. Pretty sad.

I seeing the same thing happening here as happened at Extremetech. Good site, and then all the "noobs" came in looking for a compatibility check. These threads aren't bad per se, but when a forum becomes nothing but them you get issues. Mainly the brainy people leave for other forums.

accolite

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
All that happens in the news comments section.

Some are pretty lengthy too.

Been reading toms for about @4 to 5 years and I finally decide to join in 2009, I only recently started posting in the rest of the forum.

But your right it's all noobie questions.

I for one wish there was more of an enthusiast element to this forum, It would be cool to have say for example an extreme overclocking thread, or modding thread. Trouble is I think this forum is filled with 'average PC users and gamers' who aren't really interested in the extremes.
I think the site is great in that it helps soo many people, I've come to the conclusion that if I want 'extreme' I have to go elsewhere like xtremesystems, even though I'd prefer to stay at Toms. Sad times indeed.

Annisman

Distinguished
May 5, 2007
Not to mention we would have to sticky about 40 different topics, ranging from questions about: motherboard compatibility, directx, PCI-E differences, this card vs. that card, which is better ati or Nvidia, resolution questions....the list would go on and on.

Anyone notice how many threads are getting locked these days ? It seems like there are so many threads about user-issues (most of them noobie) that get answered almost immidiately and then have to be locked to get rid of the clutter.

so do you think if we did like i have seen in other forums and just tell people to search instead of give them the answer, that would fix some problems? because i agree, most questions can be answered by google or forum search. An idea to reduce problems would be to have minimum posts in other threads before a new thread can be started by a new user. And no more anonymous posters, so only people that truly share our interests will sign up.

4745454b

Titan
(One of) My issue is I've been in some of the "double check before I buy" threads where the guy did need help. He was buying incompatible ram, or didn't have the right PSU. These people wouldn't be able to solve their issue with a forum search, and they should be able to turn somewhere to get the help they need. This might have been an enthusiast site before but it seems to be changing. Perhaps a new site is needed?

Also remember that you can make interesting posts yourselves. You don't need to wait for toms to make something for you.

Annisman

Distinguished
May 5, 2007

I don't mean to toot my own horn here, but I have submitted numerous threads of interest here on Tom's. I have done user reviews of video cards, cpu coolers, aftermarket GPU coolers, shared pictures and thoughts on new purchases, submitted benchmarks of current hardware vs. older, dualcore vs. Quadcore etc. of my own rig. I've even done some give-aways of hardware and software.

And of course I am not the only one who has submitted excellent material here on Tom's. It's been a long time since I have done anything like that however, there doesn't seem to be (enough) people interested, or willing to try such things themselves. So now, like many of the other 'veterans' here on Tom's, I am reduced to searching through threads that I can give solid advice to others.

Of course I'm not suggesting we start a new site ( like we even have that option to talk about) and as I have stated before, there are pleanty of other places (websites) you can go to to get more 'hardcore' discussion and participation, I just wish that was here.