Wierd Idea

What if your colonists "Go native" if their happiness drops bellow say
-50 happy points. . .

You base vanishes and your colonists become natives (if possible) and
all the base goodies get tossed onto the planet's surface.

Just a crazy idea. . . it might be a good OPTION (default OFF) to add
to the game.

Tim
17 answers Last reply
More about wierd idea

    Suddenly I have visions of some people purposely making some of their
    colonists pissed off in the hopes of nabbing some Ghipsoldals... I
    imagine each race would have a certain native type though??? Feds, EE,
    UA, UEA etc-humanoids... lizards to ...well reptiles... azcanny to
    avians.... etc. Could be cool. Obvisouly the borg are immune due to
    happiness. Robots? hmmmm.... Crystals into siliconoids.... Rebels
    ought to be diversified what natives you get since they are (and were
    in the movies which Tim most certainly DID NOT plagerize) a melting pot
    of natives... same for the Peeps.... hmm what else? Solarians into....
    ooo there is a tough one...

    I like it.

    General Kael

    Problem with that is sometimes when you unload troops or crew, you
    start with a base that is in the negatives. I would say if you have
    crew,troops,HG,fighters or ground vehicles on the base, then they can
    keep the base in line. It could also be a way of getting rid of players
    who quit. Just include a code that if a player stops playing then the
    bases go into the neg and poof natives. In that case the
    Crew,troops,HG etc would not stop the base from going wild. At the very
    lest it could be a way of dealing with the issue of dead players and
    free prisoners.

    cocomax wrote:
    > What if your colonists "Go native" if their happiness drops bellow say
    > -50 happy points. . .
    >
    > You base vanishes and your colonists become natives (if possible) and
    > all the base goodies get tossed onto the planet's surface.
    >
    > Just a crazy idea. . . it might be a good OPTION (default OFF) to add
    > to the game.
    >
    > Tim

    What do you try to achieve with this idea?

    Good that you are "back"! ;-)))

    Oh please no! Imagine the the abuse that this would generate. I
    cetainly would not join any game that had this option on. In saying the
    above, I do think that bases with low happiness do need more negatives,
    but the above idea just doesn't sound like a negative to me.

    Imagine the deals that Borg or Bot players could do with ally players.
    Please just keep it to a crazy idea Tim

    Keep the good work up Tim,
    Robert.

    have it at -200 happiness..

    Neat Idea...

    But too open to abuse.

    If they don't become Amorphs (doubt it anyway), Amphibs, or Ghips (the
    truly abusable ones)... then it could work.

    I kind of like the idea, but I currently have several bases with
    happiness around -116 because I did not pay attention to the new food
    rules. I would say -50 is a bit too high, what about -100.

    I can see another flaw. At the moment, if someone gets your pop in
    prison camps, or Lizards eat them, your highest population worlds suffer
    massive drops in happiness. Ie your low-ID homeworld. Even a single
    colonist in a prison camp can do this, I think Sparrow pointed out. So
    those races with labour camps now have a vast advantage over other
    races, because they can destroy your HW from far away. (In CivMil, I
    think the Scavengers have about 1/3 to 1/2 of their population at
    happiness zero or below and falling due to this effect.)

    Gold pods suddenly become extraordinarily useful too...

    You see how your players are like criminal lawyers? Please give us more
    loopholes, Tim 8)
    --
    Paul Honigmann

    How about letting this happen to people that BUY contraband :)

    As I see it we have 2 Prolems :

    1) that people make to much money from contra trading compared to
    other incomes.

    2) How to prevent people from trading prisoners... (I like the change of the
    host to come, that Tim already stated)

    any more ?

    splitted

    <scumm_gel@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > have it at -200 happiness..

    To my mind only useful to force players to keep ones population in great
    numbers on one planets.

    Otherwise it´s very open to abuse. Any race that have problems keeping up
    all the food for all cities can just sort out a few or more colonists and
    convert them to natives. Exspecially usefull for races that usually don´t
    have cities or don´t use them much (X-tal, Priv). And remeber natives can
    pay better taxes than colonists or can otherwise be more useful.

    Like mentioned before yust image a Robot that can get nearly "unlimited"
    natives for their nests (bugs pay great taxes). Or Borg that assimilate
    night and day and get cash for it.

    To stop players forming 1-col-bases make only 1% or 300 Colos per turn "go
    native". At least my 1-man-basees are always at low happines level.

    But I recommand not to introduce this to planets4.

    Gretings
    Sebastian
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    cocomax schrieb:
    > What if your colonists "Go native" if their happiness drops bellow say
    > -50 happy points. . .
    >
    > You base vanishes and your colonists become natives (if possible) and
    > all the base goodies get tossed onto the planet's surface.
    >
    > Just a crazy idea. . . it might be a good OPTION (default OFF) to add
    > to the game.
    >
    > Tim

    Good to see you alive.

    Nice thought though a fine invitation for abuse.

    What if you instead add a usage for the intercept, escort, capture and
    kill target in vcr?

    BTW: Maybe you sometimes let the change of angle of ID1 dependent on the
    angular difference of ID1 and ID2 but only want to have it dependent of
    the phase difference of two angles. Then you can use

    delta_ang=Ang2-Ang1
    delta_phase=Arccos(Cos(delta_ang))* Sign(Sin(delta_ang))

    or alternatively

    X=Ang2-2*PI*Int(Ang2/(2*PI))-(Ang1-2*PI*Int(Ang1/(2*PI)))

    and set

    delta_phase=X if ABS(X)<=PI or
    delta_phase=X-Sign(X)*2*PI if ABS(X)>PI

    delta_phase is the smallest value which has the property that if you
    plot Ang2 and delta_phase plus Add1 on the unit circle then it coincide
    with Ang2 although for example Ang1 is 0.6 and Ang2 is -62

    Maybe somthings of the vcr movement gets wierd because at some places
    only delta_phase should be used...?

    Sussesful work with everything you do!

    GFM GToeroe
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    cocomax wrote:
    > What if your colonists "Go native" if their happiness drops bellow say
    > -50 happy points. . .
    >
    > You base vanishes and your colonists become natives (if possible) and
    > all the base goodies get tossed onto the planet's surface.
    >
    > Just a crazy idea. . . it might be a good OPTION (default OFF) to add
    > to the game.
    >
    > Tim

    As others have said, too exploitable. Could be really usable by CoM
    though, and the Priv would love it.

    I'd say no income was bad enough, but you could have riots destroy
    installations, government (ie military) ones would of course be a
    primary target for rioters.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    I sense a degree of dissent?
    I support this Weird Idea

    Alternate Suggestion
    What if they didn't "Go Native" but turned into a separate NPC/AI race, like
    the Derelict Project Squatters race? It'd have to be a "scenario" type game
    so an OPTION item would be appropriate.

    Regardless
    I'd like to repeat my previous (rather worthless) opinions that OPTIONS, be
    they good or bad, are always to be preferred. Good options will be used, bad
    ones won't. Players can opt to use options - or not. So long as it is an
    Option, I can see no problem.

    Players have the choice.

    That's good.

    Cheers
    --
    Olly
    http://www.vgap4-info.org.uk/derelict/

    Borg and Bot could still make good use of most, but UEA wouldn't like
    Insectoids.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    Sorry, I disagree. There is no sense in implementing what will be
    seldom or never used. There are much more important things to do in the
    moment!
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    >Or Borg that assimilate night and day and get cash for it.

    Um.... Borg are immune to happiness drops... so it won't apply to the
    borg.
    GK
  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    "Go native" is a fun idea, though, like others have said, an abusable
    one.

    A variation could be "Go somewhere else". Where colonists leave the
    planet and go to somebody else's bases with higher happiness values,
    similar to the way natives behave with PSPs.

    I wouldn't empty the base though. I'd hate to lose a large base
    because they got a little unhappy. More like a % leaves and the
    happiness rises. If happiness level is an average, these would be the
    most unhappy colonists leaving.

    Scytale
  17. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    Hi Tim,

    I think fixing bug, balancing the game (like the camps) and the
    movement and general behavior of the VCR should be a priority, before
    adding new stuff...

    But always good to see you active in the news group, keep up the good
    work.

    P.S.

    ETA of the new host ?

    Lord Lancelot