Wierd Idea

Last response: in Video Games
August 31, 2005 12:12:59 AM

What if your colonists "Go native" if their happiness drops bellow say
-50 happy points. . .

You base vanishes and your colonists become natives (if possible) and
all the base goodies get tossed onto the planet's surface.

Just a crazy idea. . . it might be a good OPTION (default OFF) to add
to the game.

Tim

More about : wierd idea

Anonymous
August 31, 2005 1:20:32 AM

Suddenly I have visions of some people purposely making some of their
colonists pissed off in the hopes of nabbing some Ghipsoldals... I
imagine each race would have a certain native type though??? Feds, EE,
UA, UEA etc-humanoids... lizards to ...well reptiles... azcanny to
avians.... etc. Could be cool. Obvisouly the borg are immune due to
happiness. Robots? hmmmm.... Crystals into siliconoids.... Rebels
ought to be diversified what natives you get since they are (and were
in the movies which Tim most certainly DID NOT plagerize) a melting pot
of natives... same for the Peeps.... hmm what else? Solarians into....
ooo there is a tough one...

I like it.

General Kael
August 31, 2005 1:42:13 AM

Problem with that is sometimes when you unload troops or crew, you
start with a base that is in the negatives. I would say if you have
crew,troops,HG,fighters or ground vehicles on the base, then they can
keep the base in line. It could also be a way of getting rid of players
who quit. Just include a code that if a player stops playing then the
bases go into the neg and poof natives. In that case the
Crew,troops,HG etc would not stop the base from going wild. At the very
lest it could be a way of dealing with the issue of dead players and
free prisoners.

cocomax wrote:
> What if your colonists "Go native" if their happiness drops bellow say
> -50 happy points. . .
>
> You base vanishes and your colonists become natives (if possible) and
> all the base goodies get tossed onto the planet's surface.
>
> Just a crazy idea. . . it might be a good OPTION (default OFF) to add
> to the game.
>
> Tim
Related resources
August 31, 2005 3:26:06 AM

What do you try to achieve with this idea?

Good that you are "back"! ;-)))
Anonymous
August 31, 2005 4:26:05 AM

Oh please no! Imagine the the abuse that this would generate. I
cetainly would not join any game that had this option on. In saying the
above, I do think that bases with low happiness do need more negatives,
but the above idea just doesn't sound like a negative to me.

Imagine the deals that Borg or Bot players could do with ally players.
Please just keep it to a crazy idea Tim

Keep the good work up Tim,
Robert.
Anonymous
August 31, 2005 5:50:39 AM

have it at -200 happiness..
Anonymous
August 31, 2005 8:24:25 AM

Neat Idea...

But too open to abuse.

If they don't become Amorphs (doubt it anyway), Amphibs, or Ghips (the
truly abusable ones)... then it could work.
Anonymous
August 31, 2005 11:15:33 AM

I kind of like the idea, but I currently have several bases with
happiness around -116 because I did not pay attention to the new food
rules. I would say -50 is a bit too high, what about -100.

I can see another flaw. At the moment, if someone gets your pop in
prison camps, or Lizards eat them, your highest population worlds suffer
massive drops in happiness. Ie your low-ID homeworld. Even a single
colonist in a prison camp can do this, I think Sparrow pointed out. So
those races with labour camps now have a vast advantage over other
races, because they can destroy your HW from far away. (In CivMil, I
think the Scavengers have about 1/3 to 1/2 of their population at
happiness zero or below and falling due to this effect.)

Gold pods suddenly become extraordinarily useful too...

You see how your players are like criminal lawyers? Please give us more
loopholes, Tim 8)
--
Paul Honigmann
Anonymous

How about letting this happen to people that BUY contraband :)

As I see it we have 2 Prolems :

1) that people make to much money from contra trading compared to
other incomes.

2) How to prevent people from trading prisoners... (I like the change of the
host to come, that Tim already stated)

any more ?

splitted

<scumm_gel@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> have it at -200 happiness..

Anonymous
August 31, 2005 7:00:56 PM

To my mind only useful to force players to keep ones population in great
numbers on one planets.

Otherwise it´s very open to abuse. Any race that have problems keeping up
all the food for all cities can just sort out a few or more colonists and
convert them to natives. Exspecially usefull for races that usually don´t
have cities or don´t use them much (X-tal, Priv). And remeber natives can
pay better taxes than colonists or can otherwise be more useful.

Like mentioned before yust image a Robot that can get nearly "unlimited"
natives for their nests (bugs pay great taxes). Or Borg that assimilate
night and day and get cash for it.

To stop players forming 1-col-bases make only 1% or 300 Colos per turn "go
native". At least my 1-man-basees are always at low happines level.

But I recommand not to introduce this to planets4.

Gretings
Sebastian
Anonymous
August 31, 2005 8:59:34 PM

cocomax schrieb:
> What if your colonists "Go native" if their happiness drops bellow say
> -50 happy points. . .
>
> You base vanishes and your colonists become natives (if possible) and
> all the base goodies get tossed onto the planet's surface.
>
> Just a crazy idea. . . it might be a good OPTION (default OFF) to add
> to the game.
>
> Tim

Good to see you alive.

Nice thought though a fine invitation for abuse.

What if you instead add a usage for the intercept, escort, capture and
kill target in vcr?

BTW: Maybe you sometimes let the change of angle of ID1 dependent on the
angular difference of ID1 and ID2 but only want to have it dependent of
the phase difference of two angles. Then you can use

delta_ang=Ang2-Ang1
delta_phase=Arccos(Cos(delta_ang))* Sign(Sin(delta_ang))

or alternatively

X=Ang2-2*PI*Int(Ang2/(2*PI))-(Ang1-2*PI*Int(Ang1/(2*PI)))

and set

delta_phase=X if ABS(X)<=PI or
delta_phase=X-Sign(X)*2*PI if ABS(X)>PI

delta_phase is the smallest value which has the property that if you
plot Ang2 and delta_phase plus Add1 on the unit circle then it coincide
with Ang2 although for example Ang1 is 0.6 and Ang2 is -62

Maybe somthings of the vcr movement gets wierd because at some places
only delta_phase should be used...?

Sussesful work with everything you do!

GFM GToeroe
August 31, 2005 11:02:19 PM

cocomax wrote:
> What if your colonists "Go native" if their happiness drops bellow say
> -50 happy points. . .
>
> You base vanishes and your colonists become natives (if possible) and
> all the base goodies get tossed onto the planet's surface.
>
> Just a crazy idea. . . it might be a good OPTION (default OFF) to add
> to the game.
>
> Tim

As others have said, too exploitable. Could be really usable by CoM
though, and the Priv would love it.

I'd say no income was bad enough, but you could have riots destroy
installations, government (ie military) ones would of course be a
primary target for rioters.
Anonymous
September 1, 2005 3:17:14 AM

I sense a degree of dissent?
I support this Weird Idea

Alternate Suggestion
What if they didn't "Go Native" but turned into a separate NPC/AI race, like
the Derelict Project Squatters race? It'd have to be a "scenario" type game
so an OPTION item would be appropriate.

Regardless
I'd like to repeat my previous (rather worthless) opinions that OPTIONS, be
they good or bad, are always to be preferred. Good options will be used, bad
ones won't. Players can opt to use options - or not. So long as it is an
Option, I can see no problem.

Players have the choice.

That's good.

Cheers
--
Olly
http://www.vgap4-info.org.uk/derelict/

Borg and Bot could still make good use of most, but UEA wouldn't like
Insectoids.
September 1, 2005 6:38:48 AM

Sorry, I disagree. There is no sense in implementing what will be
seldom or never used. There are much more important things to do in the
moment!
Anonymous
September 1, 2005 1:51:39 PM

>Or Borg that assimilate night and day and get cash for it.

Um.... Borg are immune to happiness drops... so it won't apply to the
borg.
GK
Anonymous
September 1, 2005 3:11:48 PM

"Go native" is a fun idea, though, like others have said, an abusable
one.

A variation could be "Go somewhere else". Where colonists leave the
planet and go to somebody else's bases with higher happiness values,
similar to the way natives behave with PSPs.

I wouldn't empty the base though. I'd hate to lose a large base
because they got a little unhappy. More like a % leaves and the
happiness rises. If happiness level is an average, these would be the
most unhappy colonists leaving.

Scytale
Anonymous
September 1, 2005 3:40:24 PM

Hi Tim,

I think fixing bug, balancing the game (like the camps) and the
movement and general behavior of the VCR should be a priority, before
adding new stuff...

But always good to see you active in the news group, keep up the good
work.

P.S.

ETA of the new host ?

Lord Lancelot