Sign in with
Your question

Help Me on choosing Memory

Tags:
Last response: in Memory
March 8, 2012 6:53:30 PM

Hi,

I have done some search on choosing a Memory on my own but i could decide which one, so i would like get some help.
My system:
Asus Rampage III
Intel i-7 950

I was looking for a DRR3 /Tripple Channel / 6GB(Some Friends Told me get 12GB but i think its too much)
I have some Rams in mind but i would like get some opinio without telling my own.
Im Quite new with OC but i wann to learn more about it. Budget is around 300e.

More about : choosing memory

March 8, 2012 7:02:08 PM

Where will you be purchase from?
March 8, 2012 7:03:10 PM

If you are only gaming, 6gb will be enough. However, if you do anything like CAD, heavy video editing, 3D modeling, etc., 12gb would be nice.

For overclocking, head over to the overclocking section of the forums and read up. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum-29.html
Related resources
a b } Memory
March 8, 2012 7:04:27 PM

First of all, if you're thinking of buying this system, don't. The i7-950 is strictly inferior to current Sandy Bridge chips, and triple channel memory isn't going to do anything for you (memory bandwidth is rarely an issue in just about any scenario).

If you're just looking to drop some memory into an existing system, I'd say go with 12 GB. It might be a bit excessive, but 6 GB might not be enough depending on your usage. It won't cost much more, so you might as well go the safer route and get more than you think you'll need.

That said, pick up some DDR3-1600 with the lowest latencies you can afford. Anything faster is unnecessary, and the low latencies of 1600 will compensate for the lower speed anyway. This will get you the best bang for your buck.
March 8, 2012 7:04:46 PM

I would recommend like them at least 12GB in that type of config. If you want you can use the extra 4GB for a cache with programs like Fancycache and supercache. (caches the data you read off your drive and keeps the most frequently or recently read data in memory for later use removing the least frequently or recently used data when the cache is getting filled this way when you need the data again it will come from your RAM instead of your HD or SSD)

As far as what to pick price wise DDR3-1600 sticks are the cheapest memory to buy from a price/performance point. If you are overclocking you can go with DDR3-1866 or DDR-2133 but DDR3-1866 should be a good bet for overclocking some companies to choose from I would say Corsair, Geil, or G-Skill would be a good bet. Make sure the sticks have a good heat spreader included with them. (Hard to tell from pictures but at least if one is there it is better than nothing and for me it helps putting them in as pushing down on PCB hurts not to mention it helps with OCing them)
March 8, 2012 7:08:25 PM

As I just got through typing in another post, heat spreaders do almost nothing for performance, stability, or heat dissipation. Also, for Intel rigs, anything above 1333MHz is completely moot (as in no tangible performance benefit). 1600MHz kits are just a sweet spot in pricing at the moment. If you had an AMD rig, 1866MHz memory would be more likely to have some effect on performance.
March 8, 2012 7:36:50 PM

Any shop which can ship them to my country is good enought.

Also, the MB and CPU are already bought (among all other hardware exept Rams).

The use rams will be mainly gaming and OC (starting from basic to high performance).If the 12 GB rams arent not making the price over 300e i dont mind getting them instead 6GB (for future needs).

As for the 1600MHz that was my main target but i coudnt choose one cause in most brands (Corsair / G.Skill / Mushking ...) there are many of them with small diff (which i couldnt choose what was better).
March 8, 2012 9:25:34 PM

I meant, specifically, where do you want to order from? I am from the US, so I have no familiarity with European PC component shops.
March 8, 2012 9:27:24 PM

I am from Greece so propably a European PC shop.
March 8, 2012 9:48:10 PM

Give me a link to a website you want to order from.
March 8, 2012 10:07:12 PM

Till now i was looking in brands site what they have and then choosing what to get and from what shop, so i dont have a standart shop buying( any shop u can suggest??).
March 9, 2012 3:15:16 AM

I wish I knew of something. Someone else will have to chime in to tell you where to order from. :-/
a c 163 } Memory
July 22, 2013 9:10:24 AM

Bejim said:
Hi,

I have done some search on choosing a Memory on my own but i could decide which one, so i would like get some help.
My system:
Asus Rampage III
Intel i-7 950

I was looking for a DRR3 /Tripple Channel / 6GB(Some Friends Told me get 12GB but i think its too much)
I have some Rams in mind but i would like get some opinio without telling my own.
Im Quite new with OC but i wann to learn more about it. Budget is around 300e.

Well, 6GB-8GB should be fine for gaming and 12GB for most of the things. If you are into video rendering then maybe 16GB or 24GB. Video rendering is known to take too much amt of memory. If you are into other stuffs like 3D, CAD then 12GB-16GB should be fine.

Well, you can try this website if you haven't found any European websites yet - http://www.memorystock.com/memory/ASUSRampageIIIExtreme... or maybe Crucial but i'm not sure if they ship to Greece but they do ship internationally.

If you need to save some budget then go with ValueRAM. Also try to match the speeds of the memory you already have if you are trying to mix the existing memory and the new.

Cheers!!
!