1366 When to snap up a motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdxgfx

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Hi there, this will be a quick question :).

Back in 2010 I bought a HP 190t pavillion computer with the i7 980x inside. It's been a rocking computer but my error in buying a OEM computer has caught up to me with the slow death of the 1366 socket motherboard. I have this thing loaded with 24GB of Ram and I have no complaints about it so far but I can't help but see in the near future the need to buy a new motherboard that will let me overclock this CPU and squeeze another year or two out of it. Of course I suppose I could just upgrade to the next socket in a year as well but then it's all a time game.

That being said, is there anything out there saying when the 1366 will stop being carried in online retailers? The mom and pop shops near my home already don't have anything for that socket.

-Rob

Solution
D
What he was getting at is that Rosewill does not manufacture power supplies either. ;)

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
These kinds of things never have official "stop manufacturing now" dates. Each vendor is free to make them as long as they want.

You'll start seeing less and less of them as they cut back production to meet the decreased demands. Eventually no more will be made at all, but I'm guessing they'll be fairly easy to find (maybe a bit pricey) for another year or two at least.

D

Deleted member 217926

Where did the OP even mention having a fault? He bought an HP. It has locked BIOS preventing him from overclocking. That has nothing to do with his power supply....

mouse24 - Yes at stock it is about equal to a 2600K. The 980X tops out in the 4 - 4.3Ghz range overclocked compared to the 2600K overclocking to 4.5 - 5Ghz though.

OP as price does not seem to be an issue since you bought an Extreme Edition processor if I was you I would look at these boards. Now is as good a time as any to buy. I do not see LGA 1366 getting any cheaper or the boards getting any easier to find.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007627%20600007887&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&CompareItemList=280%7C13%2D131%2D642%5E13%2D131%2D642%2DTS%2C13%2D128%2D471%5E13%2D128%2D471%2DTS%2C13%2D128%2D472%5E13%2D128%2D472%2DTS%2C13%2D188%2D069%5E13%2D188%2D069%2DTS%2C13%2D131%2D358%5E13%2D131%2D358%2DTS

D

Deleted member 217926

Lol. Yes, read that again carefully.

I have no complaints about it so far but I can't help but see in the near future the need to buy a new motherboard that will let me overclock this CPU and squeeze another year or two out of it.

"Slow death" meaning he is stuck with no way to overclock. Not literally dying.

pdxgfx

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
No, everything works fine. I do animation for a living and having a kick ass chip that is made to overclock on a motherboard that is BIOS locked to not be able to overclock is rubbing me the wrong way. I know if I get that processor up to ~4.2 GHz it potentially would smoke the current generation 6 core chip at stock speeds and keep making that $1k chip pumping out it's worth.

Ultimately it would turn out to be this kind of upgrade if it happened.

New Case (probably Antec 300, no frills and plenty of drive bays)
New MB (GIGABYTE GA-X58-USB3)
New PSU (probably Seasonic or Corsair 80plus silver 650-750 watt)
all those parts would run about $500 which isn't bad but not sure if it's worth that price.

I always feel like with OEM stuff you have a time bomb waiting to go bad (especially with their PSU). Last time I buy from Dell or HP for a desktop, that's for sure.

-Rob

:3 expensive power supply... grab a cheap 750 or 800w one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139022
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371051

knock the cheapo water cooling into a high end air cooling such as the NH-D14

the case is personal preference, I might have went with the HaF 912 or the fractal, NZXT etc

boards nice though.

pdxgfx

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Right now I'm sporting this for the system:

HP 190t Pavillion
Intel i7 980x
2 drive bays (yes, 2)
2 optical drive bays
460 watt power supply
24 GB DDR 3 RAM (1066 I think, I didn't spring for the fast stuff because it didn't need it)
Nvidia GTX 550ti Hacked to use Adobe Mercury Playback Engine
2X 1TB Samsung Spinpoint HDD

Back in the day (May 2010) it cost $2100 which wasn't bad considering the chip.

It's a rocking box but the internal space is cramping things and forcing my hand to buy external ESATA drives. I figure the strongest video card I would get (if Adobe forces my hand to buy it) would be a 570GTX.

Really the thing that scares me is that I have a 460watt delta PSU (no 80plus rating to mention) which could cost $50 holding a $1000 chip's life in it's hands. That's what really scares me about OEM, I know some do good quality components but I also know they do take bids from the lowest bidder ;).

-Rob

Delta units are the ABSOLUTE WORST ones you can find, below even logisys and rosewill, multiple people (johnnyguru included) have had them just spontaneously explode/catch fire on them... replace it asap

D

Deleted member 217926

Rosewill is actually putting out some decent units these days with their Super Flower and Sirtec manufactured lines. But I agree that Delta is crap.

pdxgfx

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
I have a Synology 209 NAS for backup (excellent enclosure BTW, I would recommend it to anyone). After doing a little calculation on a power supply calculator (not the one on newegg) it looks like it would be unnecessary for me to have anything above 650 for a power supply. I did forget to mention in my specs above that it did come with a Blueray Combo drive.

As for PSUs, I've been eyeballing this little beauty. Seasonics have a good rep from what I understand. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151088

Yes DELTA is crap as a brand, it is not crap when it meets other manufacturers standards and they rebrand them as non delta units (they have delta identifiers but they are not under the main tree, such as my Antec 500D green im using)

Rosewills units are only good IF they are branded as 80+ I'm not saying that its a terrible company im just advising everyone to spend there money elsewhere for a unit they KNOW will be up to par from respectible manufacturers like Corsair, Antec, Seasonic, etc

And yes, putting down an alternate spelling of someones name makes me a moron.

D

Deleted member 217926

The Delta brand as an OEM is pretty bad I agree.

You do know Corsair and Antec don't manufacture they just rebrand right?

Everything you ever wanted to know about power supplies.

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page541.htm

Yeah thats what I was trying to pick at, most of the good units by delta/rosewill/etc are already snatched up by antec/corsair/etc so I personally would see any OEM pc that comes with a psu labeled delta on the side as a walking time bomb (of course id research that particular one buts its still concerning for such high end parts)

If I came of as saying antec/corsair make psus its not what I intended.. and please tell me how the 2nd quote made me look dumb?

I was saying the good delta/rosewill units are being bought by other companies so I personally can't suggest someone to go on a shopping spree at say newegg looking at the delta line. (since the good ones are already in the hands of companies who have a much better selection of better engineered parts, makes sense yes?)

you go into a store and you see some melons that cost 50 dollars, then you look around and see some slightly less appealing looking melons for 5 dollars, but knowing nothing about melons you wouldn't know not to grab that 200w logisys "melon" when you can instead give them solid advice that they can then pass down to other people without a whole lot of explaining of ripple/load calibration/capacitors/etc

I find my answer of "generally Delta is crap, you see something labeled delta on a store shelf, dont even bother with it"

I will say this loud, THE ONES DELTA DOESNT SHIP TO OTHER COMPANIES TO SLAP A STICKER ON IT, ARE GENERALLY NOT UP TO PAR WITH OTHER UNITS.

D

Deleted member 217926

What he was getting at is that Rosewill does not manufacture power supplies either. ;)

Solution

oh hur dur, still doesn't seem to stop them from accepting some pretty bad ones though (never really knew they didn't manufacturer them, doesnt matter to me TBH)

personally what defines a good company is one that weeds out its problem units not one that accepts everything and has a special spot for a halfway decent one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS