Updated Bios and now unable to finish boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

lajohnn

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
Hello all,

Your guy's advice was a great help completeing my first build!

I am using an Asrock P67 extreme 4 mobo. I was having issues with wireless mouse stuttering so I tried installing the Windows version of this BIOS update to improve mouse functionality. (Name: Patch XAI mouse Site:http://www.asrock.com/mb/download.asp?Model=P67%20Extreme4&o=BIOS)

Now when I boot my computer goes directly to the EUFI setup and when I choose save and exit it returns me to the same screen. I have researched the issue and it seems I may have to clear the CMOS to restore my settings. Is this the best option?

I have a clear CMOS switch on the I/O panel. Do I just need to press this button or do I need to make any special prepartions?

Thanks for all your help,
John

Solution
Yep, re missing SATA drives, either bad drive(s), bad PSU (rarer), or bad MOBO. When installing Windows the only drive you want connected is the primary drive receiving the OS. Honestly, I use a Flash Drive almost exclusively ... otherwise the ODD (DVD/BR).

In addition, I've seen shorting from a botched HSF (metal to MOBO) or a 'punch-out' standoff do the same. RMA'ing a MOBO is a PITA unless sending it back to place like NewEgg where they off expedited RMA.

IMO just before boxing the MOBO up:
Breadboard removing all but the absolute bare connections to run and using the stock HSF -- if it continues to fail AND the drives are okay on another PC then sure RMA.

<or>

You can try Lazyman's Breadboard -
* Disconnect ALL Front Panel &...

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Disconnect all power sources (monitor, power cord, powered speakers, etc). Then press the button.

Make sure your SATA mode is set properly as well (AHCI, IDE, or RAID). The wrong mode can cause the system to constantly re-boot itself.

lajohnn

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
Thanks for the reply. I tried clearing the CMOS and flashing the BIOS version back. Then I looked at my SATA mode as you suggested, and my boot priority is blank. It does not list my optical or SSD drives. I checked the SATA connections and they are still firmly in place. Any suggestions on what could cause this?

lajohnn

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
I have tried using the instant flash to update the BIOS again to to verision 2.10 but there is a difference in using the DOS version? Is there a USB boot program you recomend for DOS BIOS updates or are they all similar?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Using the instant flash or DOS version should have the same end result. Also, for the DOS version, you need to use the tool Asrock recommends. Not all flash tools will work with all motherboards/BIOSes.

Be sure to reset your BIOS to default. Then make changes. Good luck!

lajohnn

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
I downloaded the instant flash utility to a USB drive and flashed the BIOS to version 2.10. When I enter the setup screen it says that version number (2.10) but the SATA ports still say not detected.

Any ideas on what I should do next?

Thanks.

If the MOBO is on and stays on in the BIOS then it seems more like a Windows issue or bad RAM is getting an 'OC Failure' from the BIOS.

Place whatever 'medium' you used to install Windows into the PC (DVD or Flash Drive) boot pressing F8, you might want to first try 'Startup Repair'; see - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/What-are-the-system-recovery-options-in-Windows-7 If Windows worked before then use a System Restore.

Further, try booting with (1) stick of RAM, failure swap sticks and if needed different DIMM slots. Normally, it's CPU: | blank | RAM | blank | blank | for (1) stick; check manual.

If needed do a 'correct' Clear CMOS procedure (most folks do it wrong), after unplugging the PSU let it sit 5~10 minutes so the PSU fully discharges; see -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdHH9KrceR0

COLGeek

Cybernaut
jaquith, he seems to have missing SATA ports in his BIOS. I haven't seen that happen before, have you?

He also tried to re-flash the BIOS and it made no difference. Thus, the possible defective mobo.

lajohnn, jaquith is the premiere "memory guy" on Tom's. His advice is always worth listening to.

Yep, re missing SATA drives, either bad drive(s), bad PSU (rarer), or bad MOBO. When installing Windows the only drive you want connected is the primary drive receiving the OS. Honestly, I use a Flash Drive almost exclusively ... otherwise the ODD (DVD/BR).

In addition, I've seen shorting from a botched HSF (metal to MOBO) or a 'punch-out' standoff do the same. RMA'ing a MOBO is a PITA unless sending it back to place like NewEgg where they off expedited RMA.

IMO just before boxing the MOBO up:
Breadboard removing all but the absolute bare connections to run and using the stock HSF -- if it continues to fail AND the drives are okay on another PC then sure RMA.

<or>

You can try Lazyman's Breadboard -
* Disconnect ALL Front Panel & USB Headers ; keep only the PWR & Ground <best> short w/wire.
* Disconnect ALL peripherals use different Keyboard/Mouse
* (1) Stick of RAM in the second DIMM slot from CPU
* Unscrew both the MOBO and PCIe screws

Pull the MOBO away from anything conductive and supported by a towel ; short PWR & Ground to start.

Solution

lajohnn

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
Hey COLGeek & Jaquith,

Thanks for all your help sorry I haven't checked in awhile. Crazy ish break-up court blah blah blah...

Anyways back to the computer. I took jaquith's advice and it turns out that SATA port 0 is DOA. No idea why or whether I am running my first or second layer of BIOS at this point. Anyways moved the drive connectors down to port 1 and it works like a charm. Wish it wasn't a SATA 3 port but oh well it's running.

Thanks,
John

Status
Not open for further replies.