Inpending doom for bulldozer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trolling troll

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2011
Hello, It just seems that AMD has procrastinated enough on there new cpu line. And I was wondering id anyone has any info on it, because I was told to wait instead of making my new rig with intel's 2500k i5 but I dont want to unless it's worth it. :heink: So please share any opinion's about it

Solution
There seems to be no leaks on bulldozer performance. By this time, I would have expected some indication.
Intel ivy bridge is due out near year end, and they are suggesting 30% improvement over sandy bridge.

If you wait for the next best thing, you will wait forever.

If you have a $200 budget, i5-2500K is about as good as it gets.
Few games can use anything stronger.

And yes, the i3 now starts at $64. It even games well:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/pentium-g850-g840-g620_10.html
I rather procrasitnate and do it right
instead of a putting it out and having a faulty chipset/mobo issue

I like Intel and AMD
Whatever one is cheapest with best performance

I have a Core2Duo 3.0 and want to do a Rana X 3 build soon
since it is cheapest best "bang for the buck"

But if a I3 SB drops below a hundred I would think about that

These are just machines
No reason to be emotionally attached to a company or hardware
Whatever you can afford that works the best whether it is Intel or AMD
or AMD and Nvidia etc
doesnt matter

Intel or AMD they both are corporations that would suck your wallet dry
if they could

Thank you Uther39

i guess I can understand FanBoism a little
it is kind of like rooting for a sports team I guess
You get emotionally attached and in some way identify with the team/company
If you like underdogs then you "root" for AMD
or if you like to dominate then you root for Intel

but at the end of the day if your "team" wins or loses
you still have to go to work,pay your bills etc
your life doesnt change if your "team" loses

Granted I have favorites like MSI and Asus
since I have owned their products with good results
but for everybody it is different
somebody might swear by MSI video cards
and somebody else had to RMA two of them in a row
and think they suck

I have a Gskill sticker on my tower LOL

Timop

Distinguished
AMD never delayed BD, a new design on a new process does take time, especially when they realized big-money server chips are more important.

Waiting if you can is definitely my recommendation, 2500K is a great CPU though, so if you really can't wait then you wont lose much if nothing at all in terms of performance

jprahman

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
Yes AMD did delay Bulldozer. It was due for a early June launch at Computex, but AMD had major issues to work out. Indications were that the chips ran too hot and couldn't be clocked high enough to be competitive. There were also reports from motherboard manufacturers that even with higher clocks there was still lackluster performance, potentially due to microcode issues, low memory bus bandwidth and/or other design issues.

Last word was that the new release time was set for the late August to early September timeframe, but honestly it could slip back farther given reports that AMD would have to design a new stepping to improve performance.

Timop

Distinguished

"Leaks" doesn't qualify for an official delay. Possibilities could also be refocusing of the server side as MC gutted their market share.

The HardOCP thing next sunday should demo the FX chips, so if that is canceled/delayed/restricted then something could really be up with Zambezei.

There seems to be no leaks on bulldozer performance. By this time, I would have expected some indication.
Intel ivy bridge is due out near year end, and they are suggesting 30% improvement over sandy bridge.

If you wait for the next best thing, you will wait forever.

If you have a $200 budget, i5-2500K is about as good as it gets.
Few games can use anything stronger.

And yes, the i3 now starts at $64. It even games well:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/pentium-g850-g840-g620_10.html

Solution
I'm hopeful for bulldozer. I like rooting for the underdog despite my tendency to buy intel. ages ago when i worked retail, i always encouraged customers to go amd. I happen to be in the position that i wont have funds available for an upgrade until bulldozer and ivy bridge become much closer to a reality. i could go either way depending on the results. i'll also look at which one is more fun to overclock / tinker with. I am an nvidia fanboy though for sure when it comes to graphics. my first purchase was a set of voodoo pci cards, followed by riva tnt, geforce256, geforce 3, and so on.

Just remember, whether you like AMD or not, you have to hope bulldozer does like its name implies, and doesnt show up as a toyota prius with a ridiculous plow strapped to its front.

jprahman

Distinguished
May 17, 2010

Not rumors, the delay is confirmed by AMD. I have to admit this a bit of a shame, because my hope is that Bulldozer can do well enough to prevent Intel from going crazy with it's prices of Sandy Bridge-E and the higher end LGA1155 Sandy Bridge chips.

I have to agree that BD doing well is good for everybody including the Intel guys
What is best for us the consumer is a competitive market not one dominated by one company

What worried me was in I think PC World magazine they stated that Windows 8 was aimed at ARM
architecture and not X86 as stated to them by a Microsoft insider
so I find that strange
I am not familiar with ARM so I have to Wiki it
but I cant imagine a Win OS not developed for X86
but like I said I have to do some studying :)

Windows 8 is aimed at everything. If Microsoft has their wish, people will choose Windows for all of their mobile, tablet, netbook, laptop, and desktop needs. One may opt for this because every product would feel quite familiar up and down the range of devices.

trolling troll

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2011
:eek: Lol never said I was emotionally attached to AMD it's just I prefer them cause they seem like the less demented blood sucking ascaris worm.....Now (IMO) intel might be just as demented but I think they are a little to high on there prices, but they do give the best cpu's on earth right now so whos complaining. I just thought BD was delayed to Q3. Atleast that's what I heard :hello:

Timop

Distinguished

The better windows 8 sells, the happier AMD is (and Intel to a certain degree).
ARM is crunching away x86 market shares like silly and AMD has nothing.

Timop

Distinguished

Hmm, I guess we'll see next week.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008

Intel announced that Ivy Bridge will be delayed until 2012 a few weeks ago. Not sure if it has been confirmed or is just a rumor, but LGA2011 based Sandy Bridge-E may also be looking at an early 2012 release as well.

Core i3 2100, as of this posting, is listed as $124.99 on Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115078
The Sandy Bridge based Pentium G620, which is NOT a Core i3, is listed at $77.99 and is the cheapest Sandy Bridge based processor I can find: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116399

There have also been several "leaks" on Bulldozer performance...just none from AMD....and thus far the "leaks" have all included Photoshopped SS...

ivb.jpg

ghnader hsmithot

Distinguished

As i have stated the delay was because that the server market is bigger than the enthusiast one.Rather than concentrate resources on enthusiast version of SB they are more intent on covering ground on server market.

Status
Not open for further replies.