Sign in with
Your question

DOA Motherboard?

Last response: in Motherboards
March 9, 2012 12:28:42 AM

I've bought an Asrock Extreme3 Gen3 1155 from a computer parts store yesterday, and when I brought it home i decied to install it while i my for my other parts (CPU, RAM). Once I installed it into the case i decied to test it out and it didn't start ( I know, should've breadboard it). Anyways, i had an older AMD board lying around that 20Pin ATX Power Connector and with it ( no CPU, no RAM ) the light lid up and the fans started working. I tried it my the Asrock mobo and it didn't turn on, nor did the fans start.

I assume that it's DOA, since I bought it from a shop(not online) can i still return it and get an exchange?
Also, maybe i'm not doing something right? I pluged in the 24pin and 8pin connectors and pluged in a fan. since the mobo had a "power" button on it, i pressed that but it didn't start.

More about : doa motherboard

a b V Motherboard
March 9, 2012 12:33:29 AM

I'd try it when you actually get the CPU and RAM before you take it back (and 'breadboarding' it is your friend).
m
l
March 9, 2012 12:39:11 AM

scottiemedic said:
I'd try it when you actually get the CPU and RAM before you take it back (and 'breadboarding' it is your friend).

I'd be getting the CPU in about 1month, and the already have some RAM sticks. Though the warrenty from the shop will be over by then. I really need an positive answer about if I can test it out without a CPU, just like I can with the other motherboard.
m
l
Related resources
March 9, 2012 2:18:43 PM

Motafota,

If the shop you bought the motherboard from does tech repairs im sure they would be happy to test the board for you at no cost given your situation. I would try that or if you have a friend that has similar parts see if he/she would let you do some testing.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 9, 2012 5:28:55 PM

If you have doubts about the mobo, what good does it do to 'turn it on' with nothing on it? That won't signify that the CPU socket, RAM banks or PCI channels work. I'd take it to the store and have them prove it works or extend the return time til the point you get the RAM and CPU. If it's brand new, you can always go to the manufacturer for RMA after the 30 days or whatnot expire from the store. If you think that the store is that shady to begin with, I wouldn't have bought from them.
m
l
March 9, 2012 7:30:21 PM

scottiemedic said:
If you have doubts about the mobo, what good does it do to 'turn it on' with nothing on it? That won't signify that the CPU socket, RAM banks or PCI channels work. I'd take it to the store and have them prove it works or extend the return time til the point you get the RAM and CPU. If it's brand new, you can always go to the manufacturer for RMA after the 30 days or whatnot expire from the store. If you think that the store is that shady to begin with, I wouldn't have bought from them.

When you said "
Quote:
what good does it do to 'turn it on' with nothing on it? That won't signify that the CPU socket, RAM banks or PCI channels work.
I can back my-sewlf up on that. I've had an AMD motherboard laying around that has a light on it. And when i plug the PSU in it lights up, also the case fans turn on. Maybe I had a huge expectation that the Asrock one would do the same? Anyways, I'll try picking up an i3 2100 and wait till mid summer for an ivy bridge.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 9, 2012 7:44:06 PM

I'm not top notch on AMD stuff, nor do I know if ASRock does turn on without certain things in it. A nice i3 will do you nicely til IVB (that's what I'm running and waiting for) :)  weeeee
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 10, 2012 12:11:06 AM

Hi :) 

I have computer shops in the Uk...

If you brought that board back to me and said you had tried it WITHOUT cpu or ram and you thought it was faulty, you would be politely told to go away...

We dont sell Asrock boards anyway as we consider them bottom of the range and have had too many problems with them historically...

If it was faulty , after cpu ram etc, in the Uk we are legally obliged to replace or refund for 1 year....

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
!