Upgrade Ram and maybe motherboard, help please!

hearmenow

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Hey guys, quite a while ago I purchased the Asus P5N-E SLI 650i Socket 775 PCI-E Onboard Audio ATX Motherboard
but I frequently get bios warnings now and then have flashed it etc... but I recieved same message yesterday removed one stick of ram and it now boots up find.

I'm just wondering, I was using OCZ 4GB Kit (2x2GB) 800MHz/PC2-6400 Memory Platinum Performance CL5 (5-4-4-18) but now down to just the 2gb stick... is it worth just buying new memory.. And which one would you reccomend ? or buying a new Mboard as well...

Thanks in Advance!

hearmenow

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Ah thanks mate, So I'm assuming my Motherboard cannot handle ddr3, in which case would you recommend just buying a new motherboard and ddr3 ram and upgrade the rest as i go...

eloric

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
All depends on your budget. You have to buy new mobo, cpu and memory all at the same time for an upgrade that is going to last. To get a Sandybridge gaming rig will run $300 to $400 plus, depending on what you want.

That compares with $US 38 to replace the single stick of RAM - I think that is worth it, especially since both AMD adn Intel are releasing new products this quarter.