Sign in with
Your question

EVGA or Palit GTX 580

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 28, 2011 5:47:29 PM

OK, i'm going to plug a new card into my system to give it a new lease of life before I wait for the new intel mobo's with 16x16x SLI later this year.

I've narrowed it down to 2 Candidates.

1st, EVGA COD Edition, on offer till wednsday (£460 +VAT). OC to 797mhz core, 10 year Warranty

2nd, Palit dual fan, (£345 +VAT), 783mhz 2 year warranty.

Is the palit reliable? Just that it runs cooler and quieter apparently, and would i notice the extra 14mhz of the EVGA?

Will also be getting a corsiar 950W to go with it.

Cheers.

More about : evga palit gtx 580

a b U Graphics card
January 28, 2011 5:51:46 PM

Palit is fair, eVGA is certainly the better though. Post a link so I may look at the two items in question.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
January 28, 2011 6:04:40 PM

evga card is a refrence card with a overclock

http://www.evga.com/products/prodlist.asp

the palit has aftermarket cooling and is suposedly quieter and cooler, so if you plan to overclock it might be a better card for ya

out of the box the evga has a faster overclock so if leaving them alone i'd go evga
a b U Graphics card
January 28, 2011 6:10:20 PM

I agree with G00fySmiley.
The Palit has a better/quiter cooler therefore generally being the better overclocker.
The eVGA one definetely has the better warranty service (Palit return point is in Hong Kong).
January 28, 2011 6:40:43 PM

baldinie said:
OK, i'm going to plug a new card into my system to give it a new lease of life before I wait for the new intel mobo's with 16x16x SLI later this year.

I've narrowed it down to 2 Candidates.

1st, EVGA COD Edition, on offer till wednsday (£460 +VAT). OC to 797mhz core, 10 year Warranty

2nd, Palit dual fan, (£345 +VAT), 783mhz 2 year warranty.

Is the palit reliable? Just that it runs cooler and quieter apparently, and would i notice the extra 14mhz of the EVGA?

Will also be getting a corsiar 950W to go with it.

Cheers.

I would say Palit, because additional 14MHz (which is not notable) and 10-year warranty doesn't worth the extra (£115 which is 33% more) cost.

p.s. It's really easy to add another 14MHz to Palit with "MSI's Afterburner". I OCed my gtx460 from 675MHz to 850MHz without even touching the voltage.
January 28, 2011 6:45:49 PM

so, the EVGA is 360 + vat, £15 difference.

I was just wondering if the cooler on the palit is worth making that the one to go with, my current case isn't that well vented, I will be upgrading eventually to a Antec 902 though.
January 28, 2011 6:46:54 PM

and where is the EVGA return point, do we know?
January 28, 2011 8:54:37 PM

baldinie said:
so, the EVGA is 360 + vat, £15 difference.

I was just wondering if the cooler on the palit is worth making that the one to go with, my current case isn't that well vented, I will be upgrading eventually to a Antec 902 though.

EVGA then!
a b U Graphics card
January 29, 2011 12:55:50 AM

I'd honestly go with EVGA, just for their warranty service and quality. If you're going to have a 580, does the performance difference between the two even matter if one goes dead within a year?

Heck, if your case ISN'T well vented, I'd go with a reference design, because pretty much all of the heated air is exhausted out the back of your case. If I'm looking at that Palit correctly, the cooler is open on both ends. The thing is, though, that the added performance from the custom cooler would probably negate the airflow advantage of a reference card. I feel like the Palit would also warm up the inside of your PC a little more than the EVGA... Not by much, though, but sometimes it's the extra 3 degrees that does it...

^
I just read my post after I submitted it, and that right there is an EXTREMELY specific situation... you can almost ignore that if you want to. It's really up to personal preference and which card you like better. I'm personally an MSI guy, but it's up to your personal opinion. They'd both perform basically the same. With the Palit, you gain OCing headroom in exchange for poorer support. With EVGA, you give up OCing room for higher quality and support.

To sum things up:
Palit - More OCing headroom, slightly lower temperatures
EVGA - Slightly higher quality, better support in general
January 29, 2011 4:11:56 PM

i doubt i'll overclock. Thanks for everyone's support so far. Just one last point. Do we think its worth getting the EVGA black ops version, or save another 30 and get the EVGA standard version? (same price as a standard Gainward too), with the same 10 year warranty and cooler as the black ops version.
a c 595 U Graphics card
January 29, 2011 4:21:31 PM

baldinie said:
i doubt i'll overclock. Thanks for everyone's support so far. Just one last point. Do we think its worth getting the EVGA black ops version, or save another 30 and get the EVGA standard version? (same price as a standard Gainward too), with the same 10 year warranty and cooler as the black ops version.

The Black Ops version is clocked slightly higher than the regular version. $30 seems like too much extra to pay, since you can overclock on your own. The only issue is that potentially EVGA selects slightly better components for their factory overclocked cards in order to guarantee stability for the higher clocks. I'm not sure how much of a difference there is, or if the price difference is worth it, but if you want to make sure you get the best quality, then maybe it is. The regular cards are pretty good too. You generally won't find that an overclock is necessary on the GTX580.

Edit: I re-read your part about not overclocking on your own. In that case, I guess I would get the Black Ops version just for that little extra built in boost. Either way, you won't be lacking for performance to do anything you want with any game.
January 29, 2011 4:23:48 PM

i notice you went for the PNY, any particular reason?
a c 595 U Graphics card
January 29, 2011 4:39:24 PM

I had to buy from Bestbuy.com and the PNY was the only one they had available. It was also the cheapest on the web at $499.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/PNY+Technologies+-+NVIDIA+G...

I never thought I would get a PNY, for what reason, I don't know. I did a lot of research, and even posted a thread on these forums, and no one said anything bad about them. They said all reference design cards should be basically the same. Then three things pushed me over the top: 1) they have a lifetime warranty after you register the card on their website, 2) they load the box with goodies, including a full mini-HDMI to HDMI cable worth $50, and 3) they are an American company based in Brooklyn, NY with a local service site in the Silicon Valley near where I live.

So far, I'm happy with the purchase.
January 29, 2011 4:42:18 PM

i think these life time warranties that come with PNY n EVGA are only for american customers, I'm in the UK. most cards inc. the PNY only have 2 year. I think i'll go for the EVGA Black ops, and not have to OC myself. the gainward twin fan is nice and quiet, but i think the performance and 10 year warranty is worth the extra £10 over the gainward, and £30 over the stock.
a c 595 U Graphics card
January 29, 2011 4:54:07 PM

The Gainward Golden Sample cards in the past have been the cream of the crop, kind of like Ferraris in a world of Toyotas. Those are the only ones I would consider from Gainward. They were bought out by Palit, so I'm not sure if they are the same old company or not. They are not sold in the U.S., but long ago I had one shipped via air mail and loved it.

The Gainward GTX580 Phantom with 3GB of memory looks really cool and is probably the single best video card on the market.

http://www.gainward.com/main/vgapro.php?id=454
http://vr-zone.com/articles/vr-zone-exclusive-gainward-...
January 29, 2011 4:55:36 PM

is the 3gb version out yet? i cant see it anywhere yet, not here in the UK at least.
January 29, 2011 4:58:38 PM

17seconds said:
The Gainward Golden Sample cards in the past have been the cream of the crop, kind of like Ferraris in a world of Toyotas. Those are the only ones I would consider from Gainward. They were bought out by Palit, so I'm not sure if they are the same old company or not. They are not sold in the U.S., but long ago I had one shipped via air mail and loved it.

The Gainward GTX580 Phantom with 3GB of memory looks really cool and is probably the single best video card on the market.

http://www.gainward.com/main/vgapro.php?id=454
http://vr-zone.com/articles/vr-zone-exclusive-gainward-...

Looks pretty cool !!
January 29, 2011 5:09:55 PM

the reviews seem to only eek out ahead of stock, i cant find any reviews of the superclocked/black ops versus a stock gtx 580 though.
a c 595 U Graphics card
January 29, 2011 5:15:24 PM

baldinie said:
the reviews seem to only eek out ahead of stock, i cant find any reviews of the superclocked/black ops versus a stock gtx 580 though.

The focus for the Phantom is on quiet and cool, not so much a factory overclock. They were able to overclock it to 955mhz, which is phenomenal for the GTX580. The 3GB memory would mainly be useful for a really big monitor or multiple screens. I don't want to show you a bunch of photos only to have you buy more card than you need.

The Black Ops is identical to the Superclock version, with a different sticker.

http://www.rage3d.com/reviews/video/evga_gtx_580_sc/
January 29, 2011 5:17:24 PM

i'm aware of that, what i want to see is the SC or black ops versus stock gtx 580, to see if its worth it or not. Only OC'd review i can see the inno 3d running at 820mhz.
a c 595 U Graphics card
January 29, 2011 5:28:11 PM

baldinie said:
i'm aware of that, what i want to see is the SC or black ops versus stock gtx 580, to see if its worth it or not. Only OC'd review i can see the inno 3d running at 820mhz.

You can flip back and forth between this Rage3D review and the one above:
http://www.rage3d.com/reviews/video/nvidia_gtx_580/
January 29, 2011 5:59:01 PM

according to them, the standard 580 beats the SC version
a c 595 U Graphics card
January 29, 2011 6:56:27 PM

That seems counterintuitive. I assume the test system was identical?

Anyway, most people give EVGA high marks, and if you are not overclocking yourself, then the factory overclock should be worth it.
January 29, 2011 6:59:21 PM

i think i'm going to go with the EVGA, for the 10 year warranty. its either an evga or the Gainward (mild overclocked) GOOD version with the nice cooler.
January 29, 2011 7:06:12 PM

ahh no, the standard 580 is on an AMD system, the SC is on an intel system.

Right, i'm going the EVGA black ops edition. 10 year warranty, highest pre-set overclock i can find in the UK. and bout the same price as the Gainward GOOD edition.
January 29, 2011 7:49:24 PM

Yeah, additional 8 years warranty for merely 15 more is great.
January 30, 2011 12:05:37 AM

ok, no, i really cant choose!!

EVGA Black Ops, OR, Gainward GOOD Edition

Black Ops, higher clock speed, 10 year warranty!!!

Gainward, above reference clock, and better cooler, 3 year warranty!!!

Same Price

Which one?!?!?!?!?!
a c 595 U Graphics card
January 30, 2011 12:48:11 AM

baldinie said:
ok, no, i really cant choose!!

EVGA Black Ops, OR, Gainward GOOD Edition

Black Ops, higher clock speed, 10 year warranty!!!

Gainward, above reference clock, and better cooler, 3 year warranty!!!

Same Price

Which one?!?!?!?!?!

Wait, is that the Phantom with 3GB memory?
If not, then the EVGA.

The Gainward is similar to the Palit.
This will give you an idea of how the cooler works:
http://www.guru3d.com/article/palit-geforce-gtx-570-son...
January 30, 2011 10:35:54 AM

so it looks like the gainward GOOD edition (or palit, same card but cheaper) would run cooler but no quieter. And the EVGA would be slightly faster..
January 30, 2011 1:12:34 PM

so we think the gainward cooler would work as well in SLI, with another card snuggling up just below the fans?
a c 595 U Graphics card
January 30, 2011 3:33:38 PM

baldinie said:
so we think the gainward cooler would work as well in SLI, with another card snuggling up just below the fans?

That would depend on your overall case airflow, and whether or not those are triple slot cards (I don't think so). I think the thing with that review of the Palit cooler is that the GPU temperatures are the main benefit. That can be deceptive because the same heat is still being produced and dissipated, but inside the case. For SLI, I would say the EVGA with external exhaust is better, and the review shows it will be ever so slightly quieter.
January 30, 2011 3:58:39 PM

airflow later on will be ok, will be getting an antec 902 later on when i build the new system. based on z68 probably.
i found a review of the Asus running at the same clock as the gainward, and its almost exactly the same performance as a stock gtx 580.

so i think EVGA is winning out, with better warranty, external exhaust. gainward does have a proper HDMI port instead of mini hdmi, but that's probably small bananas. wondering now if its worth the extra £30 for the black ops, since 4% really seems to make no difference at all in games.
January 30, 2011 8:14:44 PM

I'd honestly not go for the EVGA, I've never had a problem with their cards, they are fantastic tbh, but I've never had a gpu that I've wanted to keep for more than 3 years :p . If your gpu breaks after 3 and a bit years, are you really going to want to keep it running? It'd be rather obsolete by then, and most likely worthwhile just to buy a new card. Take for example the 9 series, released in 2008, it's the start of 2011 now, around 2 and a half years since the release of the 9 series, and we have 580s. If I had an EVGA 9 series I wouldn't be claiming back on warranty (unless I directly sold the card after).

Imho the extra money for the warranty isn't worth it at all. However, if you need it for cooling it's a different matter. Once again if you're getting a better case soon it's probably not worth it. If the card burns out due to a lack of cooling before you get the case you have warranty, just don't be silly and OC until your cooling is sorted.
January 31, 2011 2:49:59 PM

why can't there just be one GTX 580?!
February 4, 2011 9:44:55 PM

ok, I just got crazy! few beers, AND scan.co.uk have the EVGA (stock) on offer, £25 off, so i got it :D ...10 year warranty, with a win 7 pro and corsair TX 950W. Thanx for all your help, arrives monday, (got installation protection too)
February 4, 2011 11:08:01 PM

guessing you'll slaughter me! I've got a q6600 at stock with 3 gb @ 1333MHz of ram!
a c 595 U Graphics card
February 4, 2011 11:18:02 PM

baldinie said:
guessing you'll slaughter me! I've got a q6600 at stock with 3 gb @ 1333MHz of ram!

Probably, but you can still judge relatively how well your 580 is performing. I would guess you will be around 5000, maybe just under in 3D Mark 11. I was not really pushing my overclocks. In any event, enjoy your new card. I hope you have some real demanding games with PhysX and everything lined up to play.
February 4, 2011 11:25:09 PM

got starcraft 2 collectors edition and fallout new vegas collectors edition sat ready to go, plus am guna get a few new games with the extra horse power.
February 14, 2011 3:14:03 PM

ok, hit a snag! card wont fit the case, i can send it back (charge) and wait till i build a sandy bridge system once the z68 are out...or i can just build an i7 950 x58 system now, get the rest of the parts and whack the gtx580 into a new housing.

I have 18 days left on installation insurance i took out on the card too, so needs to be a quick decision....

what do we think? get an x58 system, or risk a sandy bridge now?
a c 595 U Graphics card
February 14, 2011 5:03:19 PM

You got me there. Sandy Bridge is great, but then so is the i7-950. I bet in real life, the performance difference between the two will not really be noticable.

I had to work my card in diagonally, then carefully turn it to fit in the case.
a b U Graphics card
February 14, 2011 5:52:50 PM

I'm sorry for seeming like a spoil sport, but why are you so keen on x16 x16 SLI/Crossfire?

The performance difference between a x8 x8 and a x16 x16 setup is about 4%, so unless you're gonna go for triple SLI/Crossfire at x8 x8 x8 then it would make more financial sense to go, say, for an I5 760 setup with some decent memory and OC it to 3.5 - 4GHz and then put the 580 in at x16 mode, then at x8 x8 when you get another for SLI.

You can see in my sig that i do something similar, and my rig is seriously potent at gaming (if i do say so myself).

About the case issue, i suggest you quickly get the case you want to get in your upcoming new rig now, fit all your current parts in for the minute so you're actually able to work and use your 580, then simply swap them out when the rest of your system is bought.
February 14, 2011 6:41:25 PM

i dont OC, never done it, not sure how, and i'd be too affraid of writing off a grand of PC.

And that is a good plan, only am not sure the mobo will fit the card either due to the placement off the SATA ports, right in line with the PCIx16 slot.
February 26, 2011 10:24:46 PM

thanks for all you're input, new system is now up and running (need a new wireless USB adaptor). Got it all purring along nicely, inside a gorgeous NZXT Phantom case. Thanks for all the advice along the way.

(finally built a Asus p8p67 Pro, i7 2600K, 8gb Corsair Vengeance, 128 C300 and WD Caviar Black 1tb, with corsair 950W and the beast that started it all, the EVGA GTX 580) Been a long time coming, been planning a new build since the E8400 came out
!