Sign in with
Your question

MSI K9N2 Diamond Bios Update has broken my computer. Bad Flash Help me

Last response: in Motherboards
March 9, 2012 2:58:02 AM

I've installed Bios on this board 2 times before and had no problems.

Today I saw there was a new updater on MSI.com called L5 which autodetects components which is usually a pretty cool feature.

I saw there was a new update for my BIOS.

I restarted

I made all the necessary preparations before updating such as closing Virus scanners and any unneeded programs.

I downloaded the BIOS

I chose to FLASH it via windows method (which i'm seeing that people arent feeling good about in most forums)

It installed then restarted the pc

bad checksum on startup

i entered and exited setup and windows starts

20seconds on my desktop and windows restarts (this first time i did not get bsd memory dump)

i choose to start windows normally

BSD memory dump screen then it restarts

I chose to run in safe mode w/o networking and i was able to mingle for a few but couldnt fix anything

i restart it

windows starts and i get bsd memory dump

automatically restarts and suggests system recovery which i do

system recovers orphaned files and windows starts

bsd memory dump(keep in mind i've been seeing bad checksums at startup too)

now the computer does not start.

can someone tell me whats wrong?

I've had zero problems with this system since i built it and am disappointed; i think i got a bad flash but i cant even get to windows to redownload and flash anymore. i've tried turning the power switch off in the back and waiting and it still wont even turn on. i've hit the reset cmos button on the MB itself and that didnt work.

OR could someone suggest a mother board that will work with all my components so i dont have to buy all new stuff. Kind of out of work right now.

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio sound card
CPU:Black edition Phenom II 965 Quadcore w/Corsair H50 liquid cooler
MB:MSI K9N2 Diamond
GPU:Nvidia geforce fermi 480 sc
Ram:Crucial x4 2gb sticks 1066MHZ (8 gigs)
Case:Coolermaster HAF 932 fullsize
Powersupply:Kingwin 800watt modular
Powersupply:Kingwin 800watt modular
Related resources
March 10, 2012 12:23:34 AM

thanks for the tip on the board, i must have missed this when i was browsing through them earlier

UPDATE on problem,

as i've been messing with the tower today i've noticed almost a very small short hissing/click noise coming from the power supply. it doesnt sound like a sizzle though, almost like the power supply may be bad.

Any further thoughts on this would be appreciated.
m
l
a c 1097 V Motherboard
March 10, 2012 12:28:39 AM

Can be, possible to try another one?
m
l
March 10, 2012 2:20:25 AM

i'm thinking of buying a tester so i dont end up blowing money i didnt need to spend.
m
l
March 16, 2012 10:28:17 AM

bought a tester and everything checks out on the power supply that it is still good, will buy a new MB
m
l
March 18, 2012 6:06:29 PM

whats weird is when I unplug the 8-pin the board fires up, i've been reading up on this and there is a lot of speculation and recommendations; but none of them are in regard to this particular board after a bad flash.
m
l
a c 1097 V Motherboard
March 18, 2012 8:04:35 PM

No power to the CPU and all the other components come alive! The computer needs the BIOS to work!
m
l
!