New Project

I'm looking at starting a new programming project for this wonderful
game and wanted to see if anyone had any input on what I've come up
with so far. Visit
http://shove-it.de/open/jochen/wiki/index.php/VGA_Planets_4_Management_Console
if interested. It will be GUI-based, written in C# and if there are
requests, then I may post it on SourceForge.net so that anyone
interesting in sharing in the development of this project may do so.

Magik
7 answers Last reply
More about project

    I don't want to make another VGA Planets 4 client; rather a
    micromanagement tool. Being able to manage your empire and view the
    data in a different way is all that I intended to offer. Looking back
    at some of the VGA Planets 3 tools, there seems to be a lot of things
    like this. This tool should allow you to develop "Ministers" in a
    different sense and have them take care of your empire's economics and
    growth while you focus on attack and defense. Perhaps this would open
    the possibility of having two players working together on one game,
    playing the same player/race. One player could be in charge of
    economics and growth and the other be the military strategist.

    I don't know exactly how the DLL will work, but I had assumed that it
    would allow read/modify access to the existing unpacked files that
    Planets.EXE used. So after you use the micromanagement tool you could
    close it and open the Planets.EXE client and do the remainder of your
    normal turn. I assumed that this would also allow people to develop
    their own AI programs.

    Magik

    Hi Magik,

    You can call on my skills if need be. I have added some comments on the
    Wiki Site (In the talk section).

    I would be interested in reading the Design Spec if you are going to
    put one together. Have you got a prototype of the exe near completion
    or are you still at the design phase?

    Doc.

    So want you want is a new/another client.

    So best would be if Tim is providing a little .dll that unpacks the .RST and
    stores the data in a given set of files (one don´t have to use the files
    used by Planets4.exe, yust the data format of the files has to be known).
    Then the .dll is used to make the .trn-file again.

    I think this is a good idea.

    Greetings
    Sebastian

    I'm still in the planning and development phase and trying to determine
    if it is worth the time. I mean to say that if Tim intends on putting
    these features into the client itself, then there isn't a point.

    Glad to have you though. :)

    Magik

    I believe many players agree that VGAP4 too quickly becomes
    "unmanagable", To have to spend hours and hours for a single turn can
    just not be it. However, I believe that this is best not solved by
    providing even further tools to help one manage an empire, but to get
    rid of most micromanagement in the game itself! V4 will not be the
    right place for this, though. It is too lat eto start "from scratch"
    again. Therefore I'm looking forward to V5! ;-O

    P.S: Tim doesn't know anything of V5, yet - so no need to ask him! ;-)))

    I am torn with this idea myself. I don't know if it would be fair to
    create such a tool since it may take away from the advanced players
    that have learned how to micromanage well, or have learned what they
    need to ignore to be able to maximize their efficiency. Then again,
    like Sparrow says, why have the micromanagement in the first place? If
    this is to be a war game and encourage fighting, then this tool would
    meet that end by shifting the focus to the management of the military
    effort. Hopefully you will have set up your micromanagement policies
    efficiently enough that they will have supplied your military with what
    it needs to do its job.

    Magik

    Magik wrote:
    > I am torn with this idea myself. I don't know if it would be fair to
    > create such a tool since it may take away from the advanced players
    > that have learned how to micromanage well, or have learned what they
    > need to ignore to be able to maximize their efficiency. Then again,
    > like Sparrow says, why have the micromanagement in the first place? If
    > this is to be a war game and encourage fighting, then this tool would
    > meet that end by shifting the focus to the management of the military
    > effort. Hopefully you will have set up your micromanagement policies
    > efficiently enough that they will have supplied your military with what
    > it needs to do its job.
    >
    > Magik

    Any tool gives an advantage, even this NG, in theory at least, can give
    an advantage. Unless an adjunct is totally programable, there will be
    some situations which require personal attention. Knowing how to go in
    "under the hood" and manage your minions could mean the difference
    between the quick and the dead. The shear complexity of the game gives
    all players both the opportunity to exploit stragems & techniques, or to
    be their own worst enemy by falling down on logistics.

    al

Programming Video Games