New Project

Last response: in Video Games
Share
September 1, 2005 4:25:55 PM

I'm looking at starting a new programming project for this wonderful
game and wanted to see if anyone had any input on what I've come up
with so far. Visit
http://shove-it.de/open/jochen/wiki/index.php/VGA_Plane...
if interested. It will be GUI-based, written in C# and if there are
requests, then I may post it on SourceForge.net so that anyone
interesting in sharing in the development of this project may do so.

Magik

More about : project

September 2, 2005 10:14:10 AM

I don't want to make another VGA Planets 4 client; rather a
micromanagement tool. Being able to manage your empire and view the
data in a different way is all that I intended to offer. Looking back
at some of the VGA Planets 3 tools, there seems to be a lot of things
like this. This tool should allow you to develop "Ministers" in a
different sense and have them take care of your empire's economics and
growth while you focus on attack and defense. Perhaps this would open
the possibility of having two players working together on one game,
playing the same player/race. One player could be in charge of
economics and growth and the other be the military strategist.

I don't know exactly how the DLL will work, but I had assumed that it
would allow read/modify access to the existing unpacked files that
Planets.EXE used. So after you use the micromanagement tool you could
close it and open the Planets.EXE client and do the remainder of your
normal turn. I assumed that this would also allow people to develop
their own AI programs.

Magik
September 2, 2005 11:42:23 AM

Hi Magik,

You can call on my skills if need be. I have added some comments on the
Wiki Site (In the talk section).

I would be interested in reading the Design Spec if you are going to
put one together. Have you got a prototype of the exe near completion
or are you still at the design phase?

Doc.
September 2, 2005 4:55:12 PM

So want you want is a new/another client.

So best would be if Tim is providing a little .dll that unpacks the .RST and
stores the data in a given set of files (one donĀ“t have to use the files
used by Planets4.exe, yust the data format of the files has to be known).
Then the .dll is used to make the .trn-file again.

I think this is a good idea.

Greetings
Sebastian
September 3, 2005 7:30:27 PM

I'm still in the planning and development phase and trying to determine
if it is worth the time. I mean to say that if Tim intends on putting
these features into the client itself, then there isn't a point.

Glad to have you though. :)

Magik
September 5, 2005 8:03:04 AM

I believe many players agree that VGAP4 too quickly becomes
"unmanagable", To have to spend hours and hours for a single turn can
just not be it. However, I believe that this is best not solved by
providing even further tools to help one manage an empire, but to get
rid of most micromanagement in the game itself! V4 will not be the
right place for this, though. It is too lat eto start "from scratch"
again. Therefore I'm looking forward to V5! ;-O

P.S: Tim doesn't know anything of V5, yet - so no need to ask him! ;-)))
September 5, 2005 4:20:10 PM

I am torn with this idea myself. I don't know if it would be fair to
create such a tool since it may take away from the advanced players
that have learned how to micromanage well, or have learned what they
need to ignore to be able to maximize their efficiency. Then again,
like Sparrow says, why have the micromanagement in the first place? If
this is to be a war game and encourage fighting, then this tool would
meet that end by shifting the focus to the management of the military
effort. Hopefully you will have set up your micromanagement policies
efficiently enough that they will have supplied your military with what
it needs to do its job.

Magik
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 12:00:17 AM

Magik wrote:
> I am torn with this idea myself. I don't know if it would be fair to
> create such a tool since it may take away from the advanced players
> that have learned how to micromanage well, or have learned what they
> need to ignore to be able to maximize their efficiency. Then again,
> like Sparrow says, why have the micromanagement in the first place? If
> this is to be a war game and encourage fighting, then this tool would
> meet that end by shifting the focus to the management of the military
> effort. Hopefully you will have set up your micromanagement policies
> efficiently enough that they will have supplied your military with what
> it needs to do its job.
>
> Magik

Any tool gives an advantage, even this NG, in theory at least, can give
an advantage. Unless an adjunct is totally programable, there will be
some situations which require personal attention. Knowing how to go in
"under the hood" and manage your minions could mean the difference
between the quick and the dead. The shear complexity of the game gives
all players both the opportunity to exploit stragems & techniques, or to
be their own worst enemy by falling down on logistics.

al
!