New 2500K Build Core Temps

McGuillicuddy

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011
Just built my first system. I ran Prime95 for about an hour and monitored the temperature using Core Temp. At idle the core temps are about 29-30C. During the Prime95 test the average temperature across all cores was 69C over the hour, with a max temp of 74C. Are these reasonable temperatures for a system using the stock Intel cooler? I've googled but I can't find much info on a stock system (lots on OC'd and systems with upgraded cooling).

The system is as follows:

CPU: 2500K
Cooling: Stock
Mobo: ASRock extreme4
Case: Antec300
GPU: Asus EAH6850
RAM: G Skill Ripjaw 1600 (2x2GB)

I don't plan on OC-ing without upgrading the cooling, but I just want to make sure that it's okay for running games, etc. as - is. Thanks for any help!

Hello McGuillicuddy;

Those idle and load temps are OK for Prime95 and the stock cooler.
Prime95 works the cores much harder than even a heavy gaming session.
You can test with your games to confirm that but Im guessing you'll be around 60C at the most which is a safe range and about normal for stock cooling.

Yeah, that sounds about average for a stock cooler. 60C is a pretty fair estimate of the temps while gaming. If you start experiencing issues with heat, the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ is a great and inexpensive cooler (~$30), but it can also handle OCing (many reports of 4.6+ GHz).