Video Stops and starts, no shut downs.

Tags:
  • Nvidia
  • Video
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 28, 2011 10:29:14 PM

Hello,
I am trying to find a problem with my system... First its a amd phenom x6,with 4gig og 1333 ram video card is nvidia geforce 220. My problem is everything works great for awhile then it stops for a second or two. My thoughts are its video related, maybe underpowered at the 12 v rail? The psu is only a 400w, could this be my problem?

More about : video stops starts shut downs

a c 165 Î Nvidia
January 29, 2011 12:40:15 PM

The PSU size is plenty quality might be an issue but more likely video or configuration related.
m
l
January 29, 2011 3:26:57 PM

I did add a larger psu unit, 550watt. Even went as far as memtest on ram.
What I have done since my original post was search Microsfts IT files and found that the HPET
(or High Precision Event Timer) In the System Bios was an issue.
By disableing the HEPT the system ran very smoothly. None issues for this are

"HPET is a continuously running timer that counts upward, not a one-shot device that
counts down to zero, causes one interrupt and then stops. Since HPET compares the
actual timer value and the programmed target value on equality rather than "greater
or equal", interrupts can be missed if the target time has already passed when the
comparator value is written into the chip's register. In the presence of non-maskable in
terrupts (such as System Management Interrupts) that don't have a hard upper bound on
their execution time, this race condition requires time-consuming re-checks of the timer af
ter setup and is hard to avoid completely. The difficulties are exacerbated if the
comparator value is not synchronized with the timer immediately, but delayed by one or
two ticks, as some chipsets do."

It was developed jointly by Intel and Microsoft and has been incorporated in PC chipsets since
circa 2005.

To make a long story short, the problem was'nt my Video Card, Ram, Psu or anything...
simply a signal in the System Bios not loading another singnal fast enough for the OS to handle.
I succsefully ripped a movie in Linux in 15min to an avi file with no errors, then did the same
rip in Windows in 20min also with no errors or lockups. So although this seems to be a Bios fix
(which I also flashed with the updated Bios,before dissabling the HPET) which
needs to be addressed by manufactures so the problem can quit accurring,
Also video games and simple tasks on the desktop work fine..
the next test to see if this is the correct fix is to try this in a Windows 7 setup.
I will post this after I do a system reload of Windows 7.

m
l
a c 165 Î Nvidia
January 29, 2011 3:37:42 PM

Great find!
m
l
!