Looking for some advice on the best PSU to buy.

Lokith

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
Hey everyone; To start off, I'm running on an old system, but I don't have the means right now to just purchase a new one (That's been planned for down the road). As such I still want to bring mine a little closer to acceptable.

Right now I'm using an HP Pavilion: AMD Athlon[tm] 64 X2 Dual Core 4200+ with 1.00 GB RAM.

It comes stock with one LightScribe DVD Supermulti Drive/ CD-W and a DVD drive.

Because I plan on trashing this system or selling it for quite cheap down the road I only plan on putting in a ATI Radeon HD 5450 PCI-E. As is my system runs rather well off of a 300W PSU but I tried the 5450 and that wattage is no longer enough.

So I was just wondering if anyone could give me an idea what a reasonable wattage would be and suggest some models for me.

Thank you.
(If anymore information is required about the system just let me know and I will do what I can to update the post.)

Lokith

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
Thank you for everyone who added in some advice; it was a big help as it gets me some models to compare and base my choice off of :)

Lokith

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011

That is the type of PSU I'm going to run in a year or so when I build myself a brand new system for high performance gaming; I agree that it is better to get a solid high quality PSU but I don't plan on running this system for long enough to output that money right now.

Lokith

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011

Yeah that is the one I ordered :)