New p67/i7 build problem.

highlife

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010
So I sold my old board, ram, and processor. (Gigabyte 890GX, 4gb ddr3, and amd 955) Those componets worked fine before I removed them, and are working fine for my friend that has them.

I was replacing those parts with an MSI p67, i7 2600k, and 2x4gb ddr3 1333.

When I hooked them up, I had no power initially. Forgot to plug in the 8-pin power connector to the board. Once I got that figured out, I started the system. Noticed a very faint burnt smell, and the system would start for 5 secs, then restart automatically. Would cycle like this until I powered off. This happens even with only cpu,mobo,PSU hooked up. Same issue occurs on another power supply. So I have ruled out PSU, since the other is known good, and mine was known good until I went to swap parts. I already did an RMA on the mobo thinking that was likely the issue. The reason I thought this first was that the cpu fan power port on the board did not work. If I connected the cpu fan to a sys fan port it worked. So I kew something was wrong with the board, and assumed that was the cause of my issue. New board arrived. Same exact issue. I am RMAing the processor now thinking maybe the board fried the cpu? Im kind of at a lost....

Oh yes, I also have a mobo speaker, and I get no beep codes even without ram so i dont think it is even making it to post. Also the board has a power switch on it, so I ruled out my case having a stuck restart connector, or bad power lead.

Thoughts or ideas? It seem slike only the cpu is left, but can a bad cpu cause this?