2 hard drives?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
April 21, 2005 5:46:26 PM

Is it possible to fit two 2.5" hard drives into a Toshiba Satellite M40 - or
any laptop for that matter
Thanks, David

More about : hard drives

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 21, 2005 5:46:27 PM

"David Hendry" <hendry@netxp.com.au> wrote in
com.au:

> Is it possible to fit two 2.5" hard drives into a Toshiba Satellite
> M40 - or any laptop for that matter

no, but you can have as many USB 2.0 external drives as you'd like...
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 21, 2005 5:46:27 PM

David Hendry wrote:

> Is it possible to fit two 2.5" hard drives into a Toshiba Satellite M40 -
> or any laptop for that matter

There are laptops with mounting for two drives. Don't think the Satellite
M40 is one of them though.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

"J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote in message
news:D 47b7002uv7@news1.newsguy.com...
> David Hendry wrote:
>
> > Is it possible to fit two 2.5" hard drives into a Toshiba Satellite
M40 -
> > or any laptop for that matter
>
> There are laptops with mounting for two drives. Don't think the Satellite
> M40 is one of them though.

What are recommended notebooks that have two hard drive bays?

--
http://www.standards.com/; See Howard Kaikow's web site.
Anonymous

"Good Man" <heyho@letsgo.com> wrote in message
> "David Hendry" <hendry@netxp.com.au> wrote in
> com.au:
>
> > Is it possible to fit two 2.5" hard drives into a Toshiba Satellite
> > M40 - or any laptop for that matter
>
> no, but you can have as many USB 2.0 external drives as you'd like...

No you are limited to 127.

Ian.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 21, 2005 5:46:29 PM

Howard Kaikow wrote:
> "J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote in message
> news:D 47b7002uv7@news1.newsguy.com...
>
>>David Hendry wrote:
>>

>>>Is it possible to fit two 2.5" hard drives into a Toshiba Satellite
>
> M40 -
>
>>>or any laptop for that matter
>>
>>There are laptops with mounting for two drives. Don't think the Satellite
>>M40 is one of them though.
>

> What are recommended notebooks that have two hard drive bays?

How old/new a model are you looking for? An older model but excellent
for such operations (in theory you can have 3 drives, as it has 2
swappable bays) is the IBM Thinkpad A31p (up to P4-M 2.4). It has other
advantages like an excellent 15" UXGA screen as well.

Of course, all Thinkpads with a modular bay (thats pretty miuch all of
them) can use a second drive with the ultrabay adaptor, but that would
be to the expense of an optical drive.

Stavros
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 21, 2005 5:46:29 PM

"Howard Kaikow" <kaikow@standards.com> wrote:
>What are recommended notebooks that have two hard drive bays?

Many laptops have removable optical drive bays that will accept hard
drives (and other things). Dell and IBM come to mind. I've got five
D-Bay accessories for my Dell Latitude D600...
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 21, 2005 5:46:29 PM

Howard Kaikow wrote:

> "J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote in message
> news:D 47b7002uv7@news1.newsguy.com...
>> David Hendry wrote:
>>
>> > Is it possible to fit two 2.5" hard drives into a Toshiba Satellite
> M40 -
>> > or any laptop for that matter
>>
>> There are laptops with mounting for two drives. Don't think the
>> Satellite M40 is one of them though.
>
> What are recommended notebooks that have two hard drive bays?

In addition to the suggestions that have already been made, Toshiba has
several dual-drive Dynabook models available only in Japan, and if you
froogle "120gb notebook" and set price "high to low" you'll get a number of
hits with dual-drive capability, mostly ABS and Acer but you may find some
others.

--

"Ye Electrik Fanne Clubbe" <ian.shorrocks@baehisclothessystems.com>
wrote in message news:4267947b$1_1@glkas0286.greenlnk.net...

"Good Man" <heyho@letsgo.com> wrote in message
> no, but you can have as many USB 2.0 external drives as you'd like...

No you are limited to 127.

Hi Ian... I thought about saying this too, but I knew what Good Man
meant anyway. And I have to admit, if one wants to connect up 128 USB
hard drives to your laptop, I think the 128th one to get up and running
would be the least of your worries.

Although that does pose another interesting question. Does this limit
only apply per USB controller? Say for example, one adds a multiple port
USB PC Card. Does this gives one another 127?

Cheers!

Bill (using a Toshiba 2595XDVD & Windows 2000)
-- written and edited within Word 2000

wrote in news:4267947b$1_1@glkas0286.greenlnk.net:

>> no, but you can have as many USB 2.0 external drives as you'd like...
>
> No you are limited to 127.

i SO knew somebody was going to post this... by "i'd like", i was
envisioning him specifically desiring less than 127 hard drives on his
desk.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 21, 2005 10:50:47 PM

Has to have optical drive too, so there would need to be 3 bays.

--
<William P. N. Smith> wrote in message
> "Howard Kaikow" <kaikow@standards.com> wrote:
> >What are recommended notebooks that have two hard drive bays?
>
> Many laptops have removable optical drive bays that will accept hard
> drives (and other things). Dell and IBM come to mind. I've got five
> D-Bay accessories for my Dell Latitude D600...

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 21, 2005 10:55:06 PM

I would think that the demand for two hard drives, plus an optical drive, is
justified because a 2nd hard drive significantly improves performance merely
by allowing the page file to be on a different drive than the OS.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 22, 2005 6:26:10 AM

Howard Kaikow wrote:
> Has to have optical drive too, so there would need to be 3 bays.

No, one would only need two bays along with the _internal_ primary HD.

The IBM Thinkpad A series machines were widely renowned for their dual bays
which took almost any option you could think of, including a tray for your
Palm PDA.

Regards,

James
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 22, 2005 7:31:34 AM

They don't really have 2 hard drive bays, you can replace the CD-ROM
and/or the battery with a 2nd hard drive. SOME Thinkpad models have
offered this, however it is not a common feature.

Howard Kaikow wrote:

> "J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote in message
> news:D 47b7002uv7@news1.newsguy.com...
>
>>David Hendry wrote:
>>

>>>Is it possible to fit two 2.5" hard drives into a Toshiba Satellite
>
> M40 -
>
>>>or any laptop for that matter
>>
>>There are laptops with mounting for two drives. Don't think the Satellite
>>M40 is one of them though.
>

> What are recommended notebooks that have two hard drive bays?

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 22, 2005 8:02:08 AM

"Howard Kaikow" <kaikow@standards.com> wrote in message
news:D 49aug$nk6$1@pyrite.mv.net...
>I would think that the demand for two hard drives, plus an optical
>drive, is
> justified because a 2nd hard drive significantly improves
> performance merely
> by allowing the page file to be on a different drive than the OS.

Since both drives would be using the same IDE channel, there would
be no speed improvement. Windows will not let you put the pagefile
on a removable drive anyway. The drive would have to be hard-wired
in so that it is always present at boot up.

--
Earl F. Parrish
Anonymous

Does a hard drive bay hold two drives?
If not, then a separate bay is needed for each hard drive, plus 1 for the
optical drove.

--
"JHEM" <James@ESAD.SPAMMERS.thinkpads.com> wrote in message
> Howard Kaikow wrote:
> > Has to have optical drive too, so there would need to be 3 bays.
>
> No, one would only need two bays along with the _internal_ primary HD.
>
> The IBM Thinkpad A series machines were widely renowned for their dual
bays
> which took almost any option you could think of, including a tray for your
> Palm PDA.
>
> Regards,
>
> James

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 22, 2005 9:59:54 AM

Do notebooks have only 1 IDE channel?
That would be pretty bad.

--
"Earl F. Parrish" <efparri@nowhere.world> wrote in message

> "Howard Kaikow" <kaikow@standards.com> wrote in message
> news:D 49aug$nk6$1@pyrite.mv.net...
> >I would think that the demand for two hard drives, plus an optical
> >drive, is
> > justified because a 2nd hard drive significantly improves
> > performance merely
> > by allowing the page file to be on a different drive than the OS.
> >

> Since both drives would be using the same IDE channel, there would
> be no speed improvement. Windows will not let you put the pagefile
> on a removable drive anyway. The drive would have to be hard-wired
> in so that it is always present at boot up.
>

> --
> Earl F. Parrish

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 22, 2005 11:48:15 AM

"Howard Kaikow" <kaikow@standards.com> top-posted:
>Does a hard drive bay hold two drives?

No, but the laptop holds one drive without a bay, so the OP now turns
out to need three devices, the internal HD, a bay HD, and a (probably
bay) optical drive.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 22, 2005 11:55:15 AM

"Earl F. Parrish" <efparri@nowhere.world> wrote:
>Since both drives would be using the same IDE channel, there would
>be no speed improvement.

My Dell Latitude D600 has the system hard drive on the Primary IDE
channel and the D-Bay hard drive on the Secondary IDE channel.

>Windows will not let you put the pagefile
>on a removable drive anyway.

Sure it will, I just created a 1G swapfile on my D-Bay drive. I can't
remove it "Cannot be stopped right now", and I'm almost afraid to find
out what happens if I boot without that drive in, but it works....
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 22, 2005 7:22:06 PM

Howard Kaikow wrote:
>>"JHEM" <James@ESAD.SPAMMERS.thinkpads.com> wrote
>> Howard Kaikow wrote:
>>> Has to have optical drive too, so there would need to be 3 bays.
>>
>> No, one would only need two bays along with the _internal_ primary
>> HD.
>>
>> The IBM Thinkpad A series machines were widely renowned for their
>> dual bays which took almost any option you could think of, including
>> a tray for your Palm PDA.
>
> Does a hard drive bay hold two drives?
> If not, then a separate bay is needed for each hard drive, plus 1 for
> the optical drove.

This is a semantics problem. The _internal_ HD is not considered to be in a
"bay" as it's not normally advisable to remove this drive frequently.

Ergo, one would only need two bays along with the internal HD to meet your
requirement.

If one were searching for such a machine, a check of eBay for machines with
"dual bays" would probably get some hits, while a search for "triple bay" or
"three bay" would garner zero results.

Regards,

James
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 22, 2005 10:49:37 PM

a pagefile cannot be removed while the os is running, but you can change th
esize of the pagefile and.or move it to another drive, then reboot and
remove the old one.

See http://www.standards.com/index.html?PageFileUsageMonito....
--
> "Earl F. Parrish" <efparri@nowhere.world> wrote:
> >Since both drives would be using the same IDE channel, there would
> >be no speed improvement.
>
> My Dell Latitude D600 has the system hard drive on the Primary IDE
> channel and the D-Bay hard drive on the Secondary IDE channel.
>
> >Windows will not let you put the pagefile
> >on a removable drive anyway.
>
> Sure it will, I just created a 1G swapfile on my D-Bay drive. I can't
> remove it "Cannot be stopped right now", and I'm almost afraid to find
> out what happens if I boot without that drive in, but it works....

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 23, 2005 1:26:14 AM

William P. N. Smith wrote:
>"Earl F. Parrish" <efparri@nowhere.world> wrote:
>>Windows will not let you put the pagefile
>>on a removable drive anyway.

>Sure it will, I just created a 1G swapfile on my D-Bay drive. I can't
>remove it "Cannot be stopped right now", and I'm almost afraid to find
>out what happens if I boot without that drive in, but it works....

Howard and Lars were right, as long as I have a swapfile on my system
drive, the system will allow me to boot with or without my D-Bay drive
in place without complaining.

FWIW, if I boot without the drive and then plug it in, Windows knows
there's a swap file on that drive, but doesn't use it, as it's size
isn't included in the totals.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 23, 2005 3:48:55 AM

See http://www.standards.com/index.html?PageFileUsageMonito... to track size
of page file used.
If a system has adequate memory, a pagefile need not be large.

--
> William P. N. Smith wrote:
> >"Earl F. Parrish" <efparri@nowhere.world> wrote:
> >>Windows will not let you put the pagefile
> >>on a removable drive anyway.
>
> >Sure it will, I just created a 1G swapfile on my D-Bay drive. I can't
> >remove it "Cannot be stopped right now", and I'm almost afraid to find
> >out what happens if I boot without that drive in, but it works....
>
> Howard and Lars were right, as long as I have a swapfile on my system
> drive, the system will allow me to boot with or without my D-Bay drive
> in place without complaining.
>
> FWIW, if I boot without the drive and then plug it in, Windows knows
> there's a swap file on that drive, but doesn't use it, as it's size
> isn't included in the totals.

April 23, 2005 5:40:19 AM

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 07:55:15 -0400, William P. N. Smith wrote:

>>Windows will not let you put the pagefile
>>on a removable drive anyway.
>
>Sure it will, I just created a 1G swapfile on my D-Bay drive. I can't
>remove it "Cannot be stopped right now", and I'm almost afraid to find
>out what happens if I boot without that drive in, but it works....

As long as you have a reasonably sized page file on your
system drive as well you'd probably get away with an occasional
boot without having that D-Bay drive plugged in.

I have two "normal" HD's and have the page file set to
be split on C: and E: I have some times booted to Windows
without that second drive in there. No big deal.

Lars
Stockholm
http://web.telia.com/~u84406120/
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 25, 2005 3:20:31 PM

"BillW50" <BillW50@aol.kom> wrote in message
news:D 3O9e.913$%L1.345@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com...

"Ye Electrik Fanne Clubbe" <ian.shorrocks@baehisclothessystems.com>
wrote in message news:4267947b$1_1@glkas0286.greenlnk.net...

"Good Man" <heyho@letsgo.com> wrote in message
> no, but you can have as many USB 2.0 external drives as you'd like...

No you are limited to 127.

Hi Ian... I thought about saying this too, but I knew what Good Man
meant anyway. And I have to admit, if one wants to connect up 128 USB
hard drives to your laptop, I think the 128th one to get up and running
would be the least of your worries.

Although that does pose another interesting question. Does this limit
only apply per USB controller? Say for example, one adds a multiple port
USB PC Card. Does this gives one another 127?

Yes.

It is also worth noting that as the USB 2 controller is actually a different
controller to the USB 1 even within the same card, you could in theory
connect 127 USB 2 devices to one port and 127 USB 1 devices to the other.
!