Temps on Phenom II 955 BE C3, Stock Clocks & Cooler

fseven

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
I JUST FINISHED BUILDING MY FIRST RIG!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, I have a Phenom II 955 BE with everything on stock, including the cooler, and temps while in the bios are around 44C - 46C, CPU fan speed is something like 4000 RPM.

Is this normal?

Also I can't change voltage in the bios for some reason. If I select the voltage setting for the RAM, CPU or HT and press enter nothing happens and no matter what I press it stays stuck on 'auto'. I'm guessing that's not normal...
Mobo: M4a78LT-M

My room is quite cold and nothing's blocking the case from the outside but inside theres cables everywhere. I have one 120mm fan at the front.

That's a little warm, but then again the stock cooler isn't that great -_-. If you have a C3 CPU (if you bought an older C2 CPU that would kinda suck :p) it could be that you didn't properly seat the cooler. Of course the CPU runs hot as it is and like I said, the stock cooler isn't that great. It may just be that you don't have much airflow in your case. What kind of case do you have?

As long as your CPU stays under 60C at load you should be fine. If you're sure that you seated the heatsink properly(like putting a small amount of thermal grease and removing the plastic film at the bottom of the heatsink before putting it on) then you may want to add another fan or two to your case.

GObonzo

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
Phenom II 955 BE with everything on stock, including the cooler, and temps while in the bios are around 44C - 46C
I've always had around the same temps with my 955 @ 3.2GHz, I'm at a few degrees lower but I have much more airflow in my case. With Cool & Quiet enabled in the BIOS or another P-State modifier program like K10STAT you will see much lower temps while running at lower speeds/volts and it will still jump right back to 3.2GHz whenever data is being processed. Should probably also add an outtake fan to the top or rear of your case so you're pulling in cool and pumping out hot.

I can't change voltage in the bios for some reason
Usually there's a AUTO/MANUAL CONTROL setting on the same page as CPU, NB, HT. After being changed to manual you should be able to adjust all settings.

JUST FINISHED BUILDING MY FIRST RIG!
Congrats. Now maybe you can enjoy the frustration :fou: of always wanting/needing to go faster and cooler that most of us get.