Help with Onboard Video and Graphics Card

Christian525

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
I'm currently facing a very annoying problem with my newly built PC. The problem I am having is that whenever I turn on my pc, there is a display... 1/100th of the time, it takes constant restarting for a display to actually show up(Connected through HDMI on the graphics card). The monitor is working and I'm pretty sure the graphics card is working too. The thing is, my motherboard (from MSI) has a VGA (male) port on it and I'm wondering whether I need to disable that for the display to actually work, which I currently do not know how to do, I've looked up many tutorials about disabling the onboard vga but they always say to disable something in the BIOS that isn't there.

What makes this even more annoying is that I don't have an OS installed because whenever I get close (basically any moment during the setup) the display either cuts out or it just freezes.
Is this because of the GPU conflicting with the onboard graphics, or am I just doing something wrong?

My specs:
CPU - Phenom II x6 1055T
GPU - HD 6950 2GB
RAM - 2x 4GB
MOBO - MSI 870-C45
PSU - 550w

COLGeek

Cybernaut
On most systems, when you install a stand-alone video card, the motherboard automatically disables the on-board video adapter. What kind of monitor are you connecting to? Can you connect via VGA or DVI vice the HDMI connection? If so, you might want to change the method connected until you get your OS installed.

Also, make sure that your heatsink is properly attached to your CPU.

Please clarify.

Christian525

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
I'm connecting to a Samsung 22 inch monitor. The GPU has DVI, HDMI and mini DP ports. I don't possess any DVI cables, the HDMI is currently the only one I can use as the VGA port on the motherboard is male and the cable I have is male to male.
My heatsink is properly attached to my CPU.

MickyDee

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2007
Took a quick look for your motherboard and it shows a serial port and under the spec section for onboard graphics it states N/A which would sugest no onboard graphics. I agree with COLGeek though I would try a different connection than HDMI and see if you can set it up that way first then switch to HDMI. The video card should have more than 1 choice for output.