help scripting CoM into a game

I'm scripting a game with the CoM in it. I haven't hosted a game
before, so I'm just wondering what the standard procedure is for CoM.

My guesses:
- place all colonists on sagittarius
- place all cash, supplies, food, minerals, fuel and ore on ships.
(should I put them all on one particular ship?)
- place engines, weapons and other parts in construction pods docked
at ships

am I missing something? I'm totally guessing here... any help is
greatly appreciated, by me, and those that are about to subject
themselves to my hosting abilities. :)

Cannon Fodder

RedHerring

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2003

When you mean scripting, do you mean starting with something the CoM
normally doesn't start with ie. pods,extra ships, extra metals,etc, or
do you mean just setting a new master and going from there?

Cannon Fodder wrote:
> I'm scripting a game with the CoM in it. I haven't hosted a game
> before, so I'm just wondering what the standard procedure is for CoM.
>
> My guesses:
> - place all colonists on sagittarius
> - place all cash, supplies, food, minerals, fuel and ore on ships.
> (should I put them all on one particular ship?)
> - place engines, weapons and other parts in construction pods docked
> at ships
>
> am I missing something? I'm totally guessing here... any help is
> greatly appreciated, by me, and those that are about to subject
> themselves to my hosting abilities. :)
>
> Cannon Fodder

I mean, starting with standard stuff, but the universe they will be in
requires scripting. Thus, I must script. I'm also aware that the CoM
requires more personal attention when scripting than the other races.
So... I was just curious what exactly that special attention is. And,
if they start with standard settings, what kinds of things do they have
in their ships?

Cannon Fodder

RedHerring

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2003

Can you create/script this map then go in and host/master the game
normally?

Cannon Fodder wrote:
> I mean, starting with standard stuff, but the universe they will be in
> requires scripting. Thus, I must script. I'm also aware that the CoM
> requires more personal attention when scripting than the other races.
> So... I was just curious what exactly that special attention is. And,
> if they start with standard settings, what kinds of things do they have
> in their ships?
>
> Cannon Fodder

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Cannon Fodder wrote:
> I'm scripting a game with the CoM in it. I haven't hosted a game
> before, so I'm just wondering what the standard procedure is for CoM.
>
> My guesses:
> - place all colonists on sagittarius
> - place all cash, supplies, food, minerals, fuel and ore on ships.
> (should I put them all on one particular ship?)
> - place engines, weapons and other parts in construction pods docked
> at ships
>
> am I missing something? I'm totally guessing here... any help is
> greatly appreciated, by me, and those that are about to subject
> themselves to my hosting abilities. :)
>
> Cannon Fodder

Assuming it's a fairly standard start and you are using ScriptZ0r (which
I would recommend for a first time) 'Use Starting Ships' modify the cols
on the Sagittarius to the correct amount and knock a few zero's off the
cols on the Aries, Gemini and Cobol, add the difference between normal
homeworld amounts and what you are starting the homeworlds with
(supplies, food etc) to the Sagittarius and if necessary the Aries and
other ships. Starting money would usually go on the Celestia. Any parts
that you want to add would have to be placed in pods 10 ly away from a
planet probably with at least the Pisces (depends on whether you want
the CoM to start, as they usually do, over a planet), or they will be
lost the first turn. Bear in mind that I believe the CoM are meant to
start with more supplies than others, they have a lot of buildings to
build, but that normally they don't start with any engines, weapons etc
other than those in the ships, though if you are starting other races
with 'extra' over the normal starting amounts the CoM would probably be
grateful to get the pods.

If it's a more complicated start and you aren't using 'Starting Ships'
then do much as you suggested, but give the CoM supplies equal to what
others start with plus what it takes to build any buildings you give the
others.

CoM don't usually start with any minerals (other than fuel) on their
ships. Though if you are using extra rich setting you might want to put
some on the Aries, and double the fuel in each ship (if you can't double
it just fill the tank don't bother adding the rest to another ship).

Don't worry about getting it slightly wrong. Races DO NOT normal start
with the same amount of stuff as every other race.

They get a shitload of troops on their starting ships when using Scriptz0r.
You should remove them, they´re too much.

Greetings
Sebastian

Cannon Fodder wrote:
> I'm scripting a game with the CoM in it. I haven't hosted a game
> before, so I'm just wondering what the standard procedure is for CoM.
>
> My guesses:
> - place all colonists on sagittarius
> - place all cash, supplies, food, minerals, fuel and ore on ships.
> (should I put them all on one particular ship?)
> - place engines, weapons and other parts in construction pods docked
> at ships
>
> am I missing something? I'm totally guessing here... any help is
> greatly appreciated, by me, and those that are about to subject
> themselves to my hosting abilities. :)
>
> Cannon Fodder

You can test various arrangements, using ScriptZor and mastering games
for each change in the code and looking them over. If you are just going
with standard ships the Master will take care of it for you. Scripting a
complex game takes months sometimes as you really have to do many test runs.

Good luck,
al

Roger

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

The COM used to get way more troops than Master gives them now;
ScriptZ0r is out of date in this respect.

The best thing to do is to just Master a game with the COM and the
correct starting population, and see where it puts stuff. Sorry, it's
tedious at the moment. But there's no programmatic way to pull
starting ships out of the race packs, so it has to be hard-coded (and
runs the risk of becoming out of date).

- Roger