Sign in with
Your question

Strict NAT Type Problem with Xbox 360

Last response: in Networking
July 29, 2010 3:41:56 AM

I'm going to get straight to the point: I can't figure out why my NAT Type is Stict when I play Modern Warfare 2 on my Xbox 360.

I have all of the correct ports needed for Xbox Live forwarded. I have been playing online for years with a Moderate NAT Type in Modern Warfare 2. I didn't have a wireless network adaptor on my old Xbox 360 so I would use my laptop as a gateway to my wireless router. I bought a new Xbox 360 Slim so now I connect straight to the wireless router. It apparently uses a different IP address than my old one, so I changed all the IP addresses for the port forwarding in my router. When I first went online, my NAT Type was Open, and without me changing anything it switched to Strict.

I have read everywhere on the Internet looking for solutions but nothing has worked. I could really use some help guys. The only possible thing that I could see being the problem is that my router uses a dynamic IP address system, so I don't know if I need to change that to Static. Any ideas?

--Nick
Anonymous
July 29, 2010 10:57:18 AM

You need to set a static IP address on the xbox and put that address in the DMZ.
m
l
July 29, 2010 6:06:39 PM

Alright, I just did that and it didn't work. I set the IP address up on the Xbox itself, went into my router, enabled the DMZ and set the DMZ host IP address to my Xbox's. I don't know if I need to restart my router after I do this or just wait a couple minutes (which I didn't do either one). Any other ideas?
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
July 29, 2010 10:36:20 PM

Guess you did something wrong. I've done it many times without a problem. Is the Static IP address outside of the DHCP range?
m
l
July 30, 2010 1:14:20 AM

I don't see where the range is. All I can find is the starting IP address.
m
l
July 30, 2010 4:29:14 AM

Nevermind about that. I set the IP address well within the range. I just changed it from .103 to .203 and my NAT Type changed to Moderate. I guess it's better than nothing. I'll try messing around with that a little bit and see what happens.
m
l
November 13, 2011 9:16:31 PM

i have a moderate nat also with the same problem as you. but wish it was open so I could get a full xbox live experience.. any ideas? i tried nearly everything.. :[

m
l
!