Sign in with
Your question
Closed

AMD 64 X2 6000+ Temperature Problem

Last response: in CPUs
July 5, 2011 2:12:59 PM

Hello all,

I've been having some trouble with my CPU temperture the last few weeks. It used to sit in the ~30C idle, 45-50C load but lately, its been in 50-55C idle and 65+ load and I cannot seem to figure out why. Here is my setup:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3.1Ghz (Brisbane)
MSI K9N2 SLI Platinum
4Gb Cosair RAM
NVIDIA XFX 9600 GSO
OCZ 650W PSU
Heatsink: http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?S=1137&ID=15...

I have tried the following:

-Blowing out all the dust in my computer. I don't have PERFECT airflow, but I do have my front and side fans blowing IN my computer, and my rear blowing OUT of my computer
-I have reapplied thermal paste, multiple times. I use Artic Silver 5, and I use the 'pea' method to apply. Not too much though.
-I have tried buying a new heatsink, that didn't do much. I don't have many options here because of the limited space I have in my case.
-I have updated/flashed my BIOS to the most recent version, I read somewhere that someone was having voltage issues which caused temperature problems, so I was thinking maybe my CPU voltage was too high. I believe it sits at ~1.47V give or take. I flashed and it didn't change anything.

I am using HWmonitor and CoreTemp to monitor my temperature and both give similar readings. I mainly use my computer for gaming, and when in use for an extended period of time (1+ hours), it sits 65-70C. The AMD website states that the max temperature for this specific CPU is 70C. It has only shut down on my ONCE in over 2 weeks of these temperature problems. I'm just lost as to what the problem is. Thanks for any input.

a c 102 à CPUs
July 5, 2011 2:42:12 PM

You have done all the reasonable things to obtain lower temps and this is good.

Yes, the temp as well as the voltage do seem to be high. You are correct in thinking that the higher voltage is causing the higher temps.

If overclockable, it seems to me that some overclocking was done, and in the process of OC, the voltage was set too high (or the OC is too high). Review this. Also check the airflow; all fans particularly the heatsink fan for speed and proper operation.
Score
July 5, 2011 2:49:26 PM

Ubrales said:
You have done all the reasonable things to obtain lower temps and this is good.

Yes, the temp as well as the voltage do seem to be high. You are correct in thinking that the higher voltage is causing the higher temps.

If overclockable, it seems to me that some overclocking was done, and in the process of OC, the voltage was set too high (or the OC is too high). Review this. Also check the airflow; all fans particularly the heatsink fan for speed and proper operation.

Thanks, the only thing is, the Vcore on my CPU is set to the lowest that it can via BIOS. Should I try an aftermarket program to lower my voltage?

Also, I have done no overclocking what so ever.
Score
Related resources
a c 102 à CPUs
July 5, 2011 2:59:56 PM

apowel34 said:
Thanks, the only thing is, the Vcore on my CPU is set to the lowest that it can via BIOS. Should I try an aftermarket program to lower my voltage?

Also, I have done no overclocking what so ever.

Yes it is certainly worthwhile to try to lower the voltage. See if you can get a free program to do this. For Intel CPUs (I know yours is AMD) I use EVGA's ELEET to do a quick OC and set voltages. Then I get into the BIOS and do the real overclocking. (I am not suggesting that yours is overclocked, or recommending that you overclock your CPU if you are not inclined that way).
Score
July 5, 2011 3:10:33 PM

Ubrales said:
Yes it is certainly worthwhile to try to lower the voltage. See if you can get a free program to do this. For Intel CPUs (I know yours is AMD) I use EVGA's ELEET to do a quick OC and set voltages. Then I get into the BIOS and do the real overclocking. (I am not suggesting that yours is overclocked, or recommending that you overclock your CPU if you are not inclined that way).

Are you saying there could be a solution to my problem if I try overclocking?
Score
a c 102 à CPUs
July 5, 2011 3:26:29 PM

apowel34 said:
Are you saying there could be a solution to my problem if I try overclocking?

No, not at all!

I am not saying that overclocking will solve the temps problems; what I am saying is that you can try overclocking tools to reduce the voltage to lower levels. Of course, for each lower level, you must check the system stability too. Do this in gradual downward decrements and check stability at each level..
Score
July 5, 2011 5:46:01 PM

Ubrales said:
No, not at all!

I am not saying that overclocking will solve the temps problems; what I am saying is that you can try overclocking tools to reduce the voltage to lower levels. Of course, for each lower level, you must check the system stability too. Do this in gradual downward decrements and check stability at each level..

I can't seem to find a program that will allow me to adjust the CPU voltage. Does anyone have any suggestions? Also, how will I check for stability? Can I just use my computer as normal to see if it runs and if it doesn't shut down, its good?
Score
a c 102 à CPUs
July 5, 2011 7:25:40 PM

apowel34 said:
I can't seem to find a program that will allow me to adjust the CPU voltage. Does anyone have any suggestions? Also, how will I check for stability? Can I just use my computer as normal to see if it runs and if it doesn't shut down, its good?

Here are some guides. These are intensive reading and studying stuff:
http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?t=...
http://www.overclock.net/amd-general/307316-offical-ove...
There are other guides on the internet. Study as many as you can.

Stability may be checked by downloading and running 'prime95' (some will say that this is a low level test) as well as OCCT. The overclocking section here at Tom's will give you better insights.
Score
a b à CPUs
July 5, 2011 7:52:07 PM

Where do you live, whats your average room temperautre ? What case and cpu heatsink do you use ?
Score
a b à CPUs
July 5, 2011 7:53:47 PM

Ok missed ur heatsink above, but what case do you use, also consider buying an An arctic cooler pro or coolermaster 212 heatsink,
Score
July 5, 2011 8:02:48 PM

I live in the United States, Sourh Carolina. Average room temperature is probably around 25C. Im not 100% sure, I bought it as a barebone kit probably 8-9 years ago and have just upgraded my parts. I believe its a Soyo Dragon case.
Score
a b à CPUs
July 5, 2011 8:57:05 PM

That's odd. Those silent boost coolers aren't always the best but still, that CPU shouldn't have that temp at that speed. You should be able to adjust the CPU voltage in the BIOS menu. It should be in the overclocking options. Try setting the voltage lower.
Score
July 5, 2011 9:53:48 PM

I changed to voltage from AUTO to 1.425, which is the lowest setting possible. It is still reading as 1.47V in HWmonitor though..so I'm not sure
Score
July 5, 2011 11:18:09 PM

so I took my entire motherboard out, took the heatsink bracket off, put it back in and made sure the screws are tight, reapplied thermal paste, etc etc and its sitting right now at 60C still...this is SO frustrating..

I don't want it to burn out on me since its only about 2 years old...
Score
a c 102 à CPUs
July 5, 2011 11:55:26 PM

apowel34 said:
so I took my entire motherboard out, took the heatsink bracket off, put it back in and made sure the screws are tight, reapplied thermal paste, etc etc and its sitting right now at 60C still...this is SO frustrating..

I don't want it to burn out on me since its only about 2 years old...

Is the CPU fan running properly? Check the BIOS setting to see whether it is being throttled down in the setup.
Score
July 6, 2011 12:14:35 AM

BIOS says 100%, I checked speedfan and it said 85% so I moved it up to 100%, not much of a noticeable change if anything.
Score

Best solution

a c 102 à CPUs
July 6, 2011 12:26:54 AM

The guys from AMD's R&D dept should take a look at this. I am sure that they will find this very interesting. Probably seen it before and may have a solution.
a b à CPUs
July 6, 2011 3:47:36 PM

Try turning off "Spread Spectrum" and disable Cool n Quiet along with any other power saving options. See if it won't follow the correct voltage then. Did you make sure to select "Load Setup Defualts" after updating your BIOS?

Yup, I'm out of ideas. That Brisbane chip shouldn't go over 1.4v at stock speeds and 1.425 is what you would use for a slight overclock. Either your CPU is damaged and reporting the wrong voltage it needs to the motherboard or something is wrong with the motherboard. Can't tell without either another board or CPU to see which one is the problem.
Score
July 7, 2011 1:26:20 PM

megamanx00 - I will try that when I get home after work.

Also, I found this: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/294553-28-athlon-over...

It's interesting since he has the EXACT same CPU chip and motherboard as me..that his PSU was at fault. All my voltages are in good range though....only thing I can do is try. Do you think if I buy one at a local store, they will let me return it if its not whats causing the problem?
Score
July 14, 2011 9:35:24 PM

Best answer selected by apowel34.
Score
a c 102 à CPUs
July 14, 2011 11:27:33 PM

Thank you!
Score
July 17, 2011 2:19:37 AM

The problem is actually getting worst, My computer has actually shut down a couple of times, I am assuming because of overheating..
Score
a b à CPUs
July 17, 2011 10:11:40 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!