Bottlenecking help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
Do you already have the components? If so then please list your system specs completely. The i5 2500k is equally overclockable like the i7 2600k. And for your said resolution, my advice is to start with a single GTX 580 card and add another only if required. A single 580 is good enough for any game at that resolution.

rivo101

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010

it will be 1920x1080 1080p and i plan to overclock the 2600k also

Do you already have the components? If so then please list your system specs completely. The i5 2500k is equally overclockable like the i7 2600k. And for your said resolution, my advice is to start with a single GTX 580 card and add another only if required. A single 580 is good enough for any game at that resolution.

Solution
+1 to the above 2 x 580s is more than any game can use at 1920x1080 one is overkill. I suggest you get one and get the second in a few years time. As for bottleneck it doesn't really matter if your getting double the FPS you monitor can display.

Pretty much. The resolution is the largest bottleneck to a high end GPU right now, hence why I have never gone CFX or SLI. If you want to do a multi-monitor setup, like 2 or 3, then SLI or CFX is worth it. But with a single display most current GPUs from about the mid high end (think GTX570 or HD6850) will easily max the games out for that with no issues.

Save the money from the second GTX580 and kill off one of the largest bottlenecks in your system, the HDD. Buy a nice SATA6 SSD and watch Windows load like no other. Just make sure to go with Windows 7. XP is a SSD killer, no TRIM support, and Vista, well Vista just isn't 7.

@Jimmysmitt - Advicing to spend on a SSD just to see windows load faster is bad advice. Conventional hard drives have enough in them to constitute a good gaming rig. SSD's should be used and/or advised for folks having enough cash wanting to build a dedicated server or workstation.

I do agree on spending for a larger monitor. Gaming grade monitors do not need require grand color accuracy or wide color gamuts. All they require is fast response times, decent viewing angle and image quality. Thus an IPS or PVA panel monitor is not of much use here. A regular TN panel will do.

Status
Not open for further replies.