cell phone interfering with electronics?

Last response: in Network Providers
May 16, 2005 11:00:10 PM

I've noticed since I switched to GSM that my cell phone will cause a loud
noise on my speakers and tv when the signal bar gains or loses strength. Is
this normal? Is there a way to stop this from occuring?
thanks
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 12:46:14 AM

"michael e dziatkowicz" <mnmma@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I've noticed since I switched to GSM that my cell phone will cause a loud
> noise on my speakers and tv when the signal bar gains or loses strength.
> Is this normal? Is there a way to stop this from occuring?
> thanks
Once and for all...

This interference is a result of the frequencies used by GSM. If your GSM
handset is near the audio device (speaker phone, stereo, mp3 player or
almost anything with a speaker), you're going to get these sounds whenever
the handset transmits. This occurs periodically when the handset and the
cell site "handshake". That is, the cell site interrogates all handsets
within range and exchanges a small amount of data. Something like (cell
site) "..whomever is out there, identify yourself?". (handset) "...I'm
here and available. My number is xxx-xxx-xxxx".

Also, when someone calls your cellphone, the cell site broadcasts a data
stream to all handsets, looking for yours. Your handset then transmits a
short burst of data, identifying itself. (this is why you can sometimes
tell when the cell phone is about to ring). Then the cell site sends a
ringing signal and your handset rings.

During the time you're talking, the handset is transmitting, so the
interference continues.

Generally, all GSM handsets should cause about the same amount of
interference. The variables are; 1) distance between the handset and the
audio device, 2) shielding of audio components inside the device being
interfered with.
***
May 17, 2005 2:23:25 AM

bamp wrote:
> Once and for all...

yep, i'm pretty sure you took care of it. i bet we never see this
question again now.

sorry, i thought that was funny.
Related resources
May 17, 2005 9:04:32 AM

On Mon, 16 May 2005 19:00:10 -0400, "michael e dziatkowicz"
<mnmma@comcast.net> wrote:

>I've noticed since I switched to GSM that my cell phone will cause a loud
>noise on my speakers and tv when the signal bar gains or loses strength. Is
>this normal? Is there a way to stop this from occuring?

No. It's the system "talking" to your GSM phone.
May 17, 2005 1:21:24 PM

"Dave" <davesnothere@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:o MSdnVObqoMz_hTfRVn-iA@giganews.com...
> bamp wrote:
>> Once and for all...
>
> yep, i'm pretty sure you took care of it. i bet we never see this question
> again now.
>
> sorry, i thought that was funny.

I did too, that's why I copied and posted it!

bamp
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 1:41:40 PM

"michael e dziatkowicz" <mnmma@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I've noticed since I switched to GSM that my cell phone will cause a
loud
> noise on my speakers and tv when the signal bar gains or loses
strength. Is
> this normal? Is there a way to stop this from occuring?
> thanks

There's a good explanation in another message in this thread.

It's not just GSM phones. My old AT&T Nokia 6160 TDMA phones created
loud buzzes anywhere within a foot of my shielded PC speakers, clock
radio or TV.

My later Nokia phones don't seem to have the same problem (3285i,
3585i, 6015, 6016 & 6340i). They're all CDMA phones except for the
6340i which is a tri-band TDMA/GSM phone.

Solution: move the phone or wrap it in lead foil. ;-)

Chas.
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 4:49:12 PM

"Joseph" <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:jdnj81pvovccivl25vogfdiqbqtk45b505@4ax.com...
> On Mon, 16 May 2005 19:00:10 -0400, "michael e dziatkowicz"
> <mnmma@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> >I've noticed since I switched to GSM that my cell phone will cause
> >a loud noise on my speakers and tv when the signal bar gains or loses
> >strength. Is this normal? Is there a way to stop this from occuring?
>
> No. It's the system "talking" to your GSM phone.

Well, to be really picky, it's your GSM phone talking to the system.
The system's transmitter is too far away to cause the interference.
And if the OP meant that bursts of interference occur "when the
signal bar gains or loses strength" even when he isn't on a call, that
would be the phone negotiating a handoff from one tower to another.
If that's what's happening, moving the phone to where it always has
a better signal from one tower should minimize the interference.
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 6:47:34 PM

bamp wrote:

> Once and for all...
>
> This interference is a result of the frequencies used by GSM.

Once and for all: it actually ISN'T so much a function of the
frequencies used as it is the transmission method. A GSM using TDMA as
its signalling format. In layman's terms, that means the signal it
broadcasts is actually a series of on-off discreet pulses in rapid
succession. These pulses can cause the interference the OP is
experiencing (in the form of a buzzing noise).

iDEN has a similar characteristic, except the interference sounds more
like a pulsed hissing noise. It utilizes different frequencies from the
GSM networks in the US, but because it operates under TDMA just like GSM
does, it has a similar effect.

cdmaOne, 1xRTT and 1xEV-DO phones, on the other hand, DO operate under
roughly the same frequencies as GSM, but the interference they cause is
markedly lower (and usually unnoticeable to the user of the equipment).
This is because their broadcasts are continuous, low-power, and spread
over a wide spectrum band. The effects of CDMA interference is still
prevalent though, and can be detected if you know exactly what to look
for and catch it at the right time.

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
May 19, 2005 12:30:03 AM

Call the FCC Office in your area and Complain-

They will take the appropriate action and get the Interference stopped.

"michael e dziatkowicz" <mnmma@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I've noticed since I switched to GSM that my cell phone will cause a loud
> noise on my speakers and tv when the signal bar gains or loses strength.
> Is this normal? Is there a way to stop this from occuring?
> thanks

Anonymous
May 19, 2005 12:55:44 AM

"Paw-Paw" <pawpaw@granpa.com> wrote in message
> Call the FCC Office in your area and Complain-
>
> They will take the appropriate action and get the Interference stopped.

Get serious, the only way to stop it is to turn the phone OFF!! The FCC will
get a big laugh out of that call!

bamp

> "michael e dziatkowicz" <mnmma@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> I've noticed since I switched to GSM that my cell phone will cause a loud
>> noise on my speakers and tv when the signal bar gains or loses strength.
>> Is this normal? Is there a way to stop this from occuring?
>> thanks

Anonymous
May 20, 2005 12:11:14 AM

ROTFLMAO-

"bamp" <bampatcenturyteldotnet> wrote in message

> "Paw-Paw" <pawpaw@granpa.com> wrote in message
>> Call the FCC Office in your area and Complain-
>>
>> They will take the appropriate action and get the Interference stopped.
>
> Get serious, the only way to stop it is to turn the phone OFF!! The FCC
> will get a big laugh out of that call!
>
> bamp
>>

>> "michael e dziatkowicz" <mnmma@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> I've noticed since I switched to GSM that my cell phone will cause a
>>> loud noise on my speakers and tv when the signal bar gains or loses
>>> strength. Is this normal? Is there a way to stop this from occuring?
>>> thanks

May 20, 2005 11:22:31 AM

On Wed, 18 May 2005 20:30:03 -0400, "Paw-Paw" <pawpaw@granpa.com>
wrote:

>Call the FCC Office in your area and Complain-
>
>They will take the appropriate action and get the Interference stopped.

You are either ignorant or naive.

>"michael e dziatkowicz" <mnmma@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> I've noticed since I switched to GSM that my cell phone will cause a loud
>> noise on my speakers and tv when the signal bar gains or loses strength.
>> Is this normal? Is there a way to stop this from occuring?
>> thanks

May 20, 2005 2:50:38 PM

> On Wed, 18 May 2005 20:30:03 -0400, "Paw-Paw" <pawpaw@granpa.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Call the FCC Office in your area and Complain-
>>
>>They will take the appropriate action and get the Interference stopped.
>
> You are either ignorant or naive

At least mentally challenged

bamp