Are you sitting comfortably?... re Libretto.

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

Hi guys.
My apologies for the length of this but I thought it best to try and
get all the info in that I could.
As you will gather, I am no whizz kid so please try to answer in the
kind of language a guy who was brought up with steam trains and not
space travel can understand.

I have a Libretto 50CT in very much the state it left the factory.
16meg Ram, 800mg HD and win95.
I also have a floppy drive, a mini port replicator ans a serial
connector cable (female at both ends)
Incidentaly, I connected this cable to my main PC and Libretto but
nothing seemed to happen. I could not see any way to move files from
one to the other.
Is that what the cable is supposed to let you do?
The other hardware thing I have is a pcmcia / Compact flash card so I
can read/write stuff to and from Compact flash on both machines.
I also have a full set of floppy disks including win95 and all the
Toshiba disks.

Here's what I want to do. Not in order.
Convert to win98SE
Install a 4gig hard drive
Install an extra 32 meg of ram
Create a wireless network between my main PC and the Libretto
Installing the extra memory is something I can do.
I can probably fit a bigger hard drive without too much sweat.
The networking, providing the specs allow it, will be like shelling
peas.
The problem is going to be getting win98SE on to the Libretto
I have a win98SE CD but no floppy disk version.
TBH, it would solve my problem if I knew for certain that ANY pcmcia
CD drive would work in the Libretto 50CT as described earlier.
If not, is there another way to get 98SE on to the Libretto?
Many thanks,
Steve

My best suggestion would be to get a 4 gig drive and install Win98se on
it using another laptop. Put the appropriate drivers on it and then put
it in the Libretto. I've done this several times on laptops that don't
have CD-ROMs. Win 98 doesn't lock itself to certain hardware like NT,
2000 and XP so it should boot up fine and it will attempt to look for
the new hardware, that's where all the drivers you loaded will come in
handy. Also, make sure you put those wireless drivers in there. The
problem may be finding a non-cardbus wireless card. You will have to
look for a used one most likely. Other than that, all should be well.

i_hate_gardening@yahoo.co.uk (Steve) writes:
> Here's what I want to do. Not in order.
> Convert to win98SE

I don't see why, but whatever floats your boat.

> Install a 4gig hard drive

Not really as easy as it sounds. You can cram a 9.5mm drive in there
by removing the little spacers but it really wants an 8.5mm drive
which is not so easy to find. Actually, finding a 4gb drive at all is
not so simple any more. And larger drives might not be recognized
by the bios.

> Install an extra 32 meg of ram

I thought there was only a 16mb card, making 32mb total.

> Create a wireless network between my main PC and the Libretto

No big deal, put a 16 bit wifi card (e.g. Netgear MA401) in the
pcmcia slot. Those cards are a dime a dozen on ebay.

> TBH, it would solve my problem if I knew for certain that ANY pcmcia
> CD drive would work in the Libretto 50CT as described earlier.

If you mean boot from cd, I don't think so. If you just mean use a
pcmcia cd drive once you have a pcmcia point enabler or card services
running, that shouldn't be a problem.

> If not, is there another way to get 98SE on to the Libretto?

Yes, the simplest way is remove the hard drive, install it in another
pc, copies the windows cab files to it, transfer the drive back to the
libretto, and install windows from the cabs.

Steve wrote:
> Hi guys.
> My apologies for the length of this but I thought it best to try and
> get all the info in that I could.
> As you will gather, I am no whizz kid so please try to answer in the
> kind of language a guy who was brought up with steam trains and not
> space travel can understand.
>
> I have a Libretto 50CT in very much the state it left the factory.
> 16meg Ram, 800mg HD and win95.
> I also have a floppy drive, a mini port replicator ans a serial
> connector cable (female at both ends)
> Incidentaly, I connected this cable to my main PC and Libretto but
> nothing seemed to happen. I could not see any way to move files from
> one to the other.
> Is that what the cable is supposed to let you do?
> The other hardware thing I have is a pcmcia / Compact flash card so I
> can read/write stuff to and from Compact flash on both machines.
> I also have a full set of floppy disks including win95 and all the
> Toshiba disks.
>
> Here's what I want to do. Not in order.
> Convert to win98SE
> Install a 4gig hard drive
> Install an extra 32 meg of ram
> Create a wireless network between my main PC and the Libretto
> Installing the extra memory is something I can do.
> I can probably fit a bigger hard drive without too much sweat.
> The networking, providing the specs allow it, will be like shelling
> peas.
> The problem is going to be getting win98SE on to the Libretto
> I have a win98SE CD but no floppy disk version.
> TBH, it would solve my problem if I knew for certain that ANY pcmcia
> CD drive would work in the Libretto 50CT as described earlier.
> If not, is there another way to get 98SE on to the Libretto?
> Many thanks,

Pull the drive, install it in a desktop (adaptors are easy to find), copy
all the Win98 cab files to the disk, reinstall in the Libretto and install
OS from there.

I'm not sure why you want to, though.....

jak

Steve wrote:
> Hi guys.
> My apologies for the length of this but I thought it best to try and
> get all the info in that I could.
> As you will gather, I am no whizz kid so please try to answer in the
> kind of language a guy who was brought up with steam trains and not
> space travel can understand.
>
> I have a Libretto 50CT in very much the state it left the factory.
> 16meg Ram, 800mg HD and win95.
> I also have a floppy drive, a mini port replicator ans a serial
> connector cable (female at both ends)
> Incidentaly, I connected this cable to my main PC and Libretto but
> nothing seemed to happen. I could not see any way to move files from
> one to the other.
> Is that what the cable is supposed to let you do?
> The other hardware thing I have is a pcmcia / Compact flash card so I
> can read/write stuff to and from Compact flash on both machines.
> I also have a full set of floppy disks including win95 and all the
> Toshiba disks.
>
> Here's what I want to do. Not in order.
> Convert to win98SE
> Install a 4gig hard drive
> Install an extra 32 meg of ram
> Create a wireless network between my main PC and the Libretto
> Installing the extra memory is something I can do.
> I can probably fit a bigger hard drive without too much sweat.
> The networking, providing the specs allow it, will be like shelling
> peas.
> The problem is going to be getting win98SE on to the Libretto
> I have a win98SE CD but no floppy disk version.
> TBH, it would solve my problem if I knew for certain that ANY pcmcia
> CD drive would work in the Libretto 50CT as described earlier.
> If not, is there another way to get 98SE on to the Libretto?
> Many thanks,
> Steve
the best resource for the Libby is www.fixup.net Dr. Xin's page, lotsa
good stuff on that site besides the Libretto.

Steve wrote:
> Hi guys.
> My apologies for the length of this but I thought it best to try and
> get all the info in that I could.
> As you will gather, I am no whizz kid so please try to answer in the
> kind of language a guy who was brought up with steam trains and not
> space travel can understand.
>
> I have a Libretto 50CT in very much the state it left the factory.
> 16meg Ram, 800mg HD and win95.
> I also have a floppy drive, a mini port replicator ans a serial
> connector cable (female at both ends)
the cable is a null modem, you will need to run file transfer software
to get it going. I don't even recall the name of the software anymore.

> Incidentaly, I connected this cable to my main PC and Libretto but
> nothing seemed to happen. I could not see any way to move files from
> one to the other.
> Is that what the cable is supposed to let you do?
> The other hardware thing I have is a pcmcia / Compact flash card so I
> can read/write stuff to and from Compact flash on both machines.
pcmcia/CF adapter is plug and play in windows, not in DOS.
it's no good if you have a 4gb HD with no windows installed.

> I also have a full set of floppy disks including win95 and all the
> Toshiba disks.
>
> Here's what I want to do. Not in order.
> Convert to win98SE
> Install a 4gig hard drive
> Install an extra 32 meg of ram
> Create a wireless network between my main PC and the Libretto
> Installing the extra memory is something I can do.
> I can probably fit a bigger hard drive without too much sweat.
there is a section about upgrading HD on a Libby, on www.fixup.net ,
you have to remove a couple of plastic spacers in order to fit a 9.5mm
drive (the original is 8.45mm toshiba)

> The networking, providing the specs allow it, will be like shelling
> peas.
> The problem is going to be getting win98SE on to the Libretto
> I have a win98SE CD but no floppy disk version.
> TBH, it would solve my problem if I knew for certain that ANY pcmcia
> CD drive would work in the Libretto 50CT as described earlier.
any pcmcia would work provided that you have a driver disk so that the
appropriate .sys file can be added to your boot floppy.

> If not, is there another way to get 98SE on to the Libretto?
> Many thanks,
> Steve
if you don't have a cdrom, as suggested by others, you need to connect
your new 4gb hd to a desktop and transfer all the files from your
win98se cd onto the drive, as well as the libby drivers. Then install
the new drive.

Thanks for the info, guys.
Why install 98SE?
Mainly because all the stuff I want to use the Libretto for has 98
drivers but not 95.
The first one that springs to mind is Microsoft reader which i will be
using a lot. Sure, i could use another reader but I'm used to the MS
one and swapping all my e-book novels to .pdf or whatever would be a
pain.
As for the pcmcia CD, I was just going through my options and one was
to get a win98 upgrade disk and load it straight over win95. That's
apart from all the good stuff that doesn't come on floppy disk any
more.

So, it looks like you are all mostly agreed that the best option is to
get a gizmo to install the HD in a proper PC and copy the cab files
from the 98 CD (nothing else apart from the cab files?) and the
Toshiba Libretto specific drivers on to it and then replace it in the
Libretto.

OK, now I'm lost again, lol
If I get a new, bigger hard drive to do this and then put it back in
the Libretto, what happens when i switch it on?
Will it be like going back to the days of DOS and doing a DIR command
to find the win98.exe type of file?
Like I said.... Steam trains not spaceships, lol

i_hate_gardening@yahoo.co.uk writes:
> Thanks for the info, guys.
> Why install 98SE?
> Mainly because all the stuff I want to use the Libretto for has 98
> drivers but not 95.

If you install 98SE and put it on the internet, it will be taken over
by a virus within seconds.

Paul wrote....If you install 98SE and put it on the internet, it will
be taken over
by a virus within seconds.

How come? It would be through a router just like my other PCs have been
in the past and never had a problem. Is there something specific about
the Libretto that makes you say that?

http://www.silverace.com/libretto/
FYI: for owners of Libretto mini-notebooks wanting something faster.

join the thousands of other Libretto users there to ask Q's on this
mini-notebook.

1. You can use a serial port to transfer the entire \win98 directory
from your install CD to the HD.
2. Use a Laplink/Direct Cable Connect(DCC) compatible serial cable - a
standard one WILL NOT WORK!
3. You can find diagrams for #2 online, or buy one at most stores.
4. You will need DOS 6.22 with DOS Interlink, or Laplink for DOS, or
search for free dos serial transfer programs such as those noted:
http://home.att.net/~short.stop/freesoft/communic.htm.
All of these will transfer over the serial port.

5. If you have a parallel port Laplink/DCC cable and parallel ports on
both computers, then this is a faster method.

Barry wrote.....
You can do the copy
over a network, or even a compact flash or USB flash memory drive.

That USB bit sounds like a good plan with just 2 problems.....
1... The Libretto 50CT does not have a USB port.
2... The Libretto 50CT does not have a USB port.

Now I know that technically, that's only 1 problem but it's such a
biggie, I thought I'd say it twice, lol

Thanks for all the help guys.
Steve

Not difficult. copy the \Win98 folder from the Windows 98CD to the hard
drive of the 50CT, then run the install program. You can do the copy
over a network, or even a compact flash or USB flash memory drive.
There are, in fact, at least a half-dozen ways to do it (including
taking the hard drive out of the libretto and putting it into another
machine).

Steve wrote:

> Hi guys.
> My apologies for the length of this but I thought it best to try and
> get all the info in that I could.
> As you will gather, I am no whizz kid so please try to answer in the
> kind of language a guy who was brought up with steam trains and not
> space travel can understand.
>
> I have a Libretto 50CT in very much the state it left the factory.
> 16meg Ram, 800mg HD and win95.
> I also have a floppy drive, a mini port replicator ans a serial
> connector cable (female at both ends)
> Incidentaly, I connected this cable to my main PC and Libretto but
> nothing seemed to happen. I could not see any way to move files from
> one to the other.
> Is that what the cable is supposed to let you do?
> The other hardware thing I have is a pcmcia / Compact flash card so I
> can read/write stuff to and from Compact flash on both machines.
> I also have a full set of floppy disks including win95 and all the
> Toshiba disks.
>
> Here's what I want to do. Not in order.
> Convert to win98SE
> Install a 4gig hard drive
> Install an extra 32 meg of ram
> Create a wireless network between my main PC and the Libretto
> Installing the extra memory is something I can do.
> I can probably fit a bigger hard drive without too much sweat.
> The networking, providing the specs allow it, will be like shelling
> peas.
> The problem is going to be getting win98SE on to the Libretto
> I have a win98SE CD but no floppy disk version.
> TBH, it would solve my problem if I knew for certain that ANY pcmcia
> CD drive would work in the Libretto 50CT as described earlier.
> If not, is there another way to get 98SE on to the Libretto?
> Many thanks,
> Steve

Then a USB port can be added, I believe that it has a PC Card slot.