PCIe 16x (x4 mode)

azrul

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
Hi,

PCIe 16x (x4 mode)

What is the (x4) stands for? I would like to crossfire 2 HD6790 on an Asus p8z68 v-lx mobo, it got 2 16x PCIe lanes, but one of them got the 'x4' which I'm not sure of. Any advice?

I also saw a note that that lane was sharing bandwidth with two other x2 lanes. So if I don't use the 2 x2 PCIe lanes. Does it mean that the x16 lane still consider as it is?

Thanks

azrul

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012

Hi addzy94,

Many2 thanks for that. So it means that even if its running on x4, its only 5% degrade on the performance. So i guess, i would not effect much though. ;)

GozerHozer

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2008
For Crossfire or SLi, have a good PSU.
The Asus MB you listed only has AMD/ATI Crossfire support, so you an only us an AMD/ATI video card in crossfire.

I had 2 ATI 4870 x2 (4x crossfire) in my last rig and had a 1200w PSU.
New Rig has a EVGA GeForce GTX 590 Classified Hydro Copper-H2O cooled

Nvidia has less Micro-studder than ATI in Crossfire/SLI.

If you only have 1 PCI-E 16X slot, I would not use 2 in Crossfire.
Get a Dual core Video card, its a bit slower than 2 in crossfire, but not by much.

azrul

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012

I see, many thanks for the reply. I'm in Malaysia actually, so the price for a dual core card is really a pain here. lol. But nvm, I'm still thinking of doing crossfire just for interest sake. If something not going well, I can still just sell the card and get a new one 5 MONTHS LATER. lol..

Btw, I have a 600Watt psu at the moment, shouldn't be a problem right? And the board do have 2 PCI-E 16x slot but one of them is noted with a '4x mode' which I'm not really sure of what it means.

Anyone got any idea what is that "4x mode" means? Plsssss..

G

it means that even though it is a x16 slot it will run at x4 speed.
"An example is a ×8 slot that actually only runs at ×1. These slots allow any ×1, ×2, ×4 or ×8 card, though only running at ×1 speed. "
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express

in other words, it will run a x1, x2 and x4 at default speeds but x8 and x16 at x4 speeds.

azrul

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012

Thank looniam you for that ;). It's clear now. Btw, based from addzy94 comments above, though it's running on x4 speeds, the degrade will only be around 5% (test was running on 5870). So hopefully it wouldn't noticed much. hm.. I'm gonna need to get a new mobo i guess.

G

is that p8z68 v-lx a gen 3 board?

if so then according to this:
http://event.asus.com/2011/mb/PCIe3_Ready/

it will be pci 3.0 ready and support ivy bridge. what that means is with pci 3.0 it will double the bandwidth of the lanes and *theoretically* turn that x4 mode into x8 mode with an ivy bridge cpu. and a pci-e 2.0 card won't saturate a x8 slot.

so maybe wait until IB and see if it happens before making a purchase.

azrul

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012

Here's the official reference link :-

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z68V_LX/#specifications

Seems like it is a PCI-E 2.0. Btw, I remember when I was Goggling around earlier and found an article that discuss this issue as well. Somebody mentioned that it would not really effect much weather it is a x4, x8 or x16 on pcie2.0 as the bandwidth used when processing on a GPU card mostly runs around inside the GPU card and out to the video output. It's logic though, but in CFX terms, it might be a different scenario as it is scaling with each other.

TRENDING THREADS