Sign in with
Your question

Which Drivers Should I Install and How To Install MoBo Drivers?

Last response: in Systems
April 3, 2011 5:27:18 PM

I know that to install device drivers (like GPUs, HDDs) you download the latest drivers, find the device in the device manager, choose update drive, and select the file you downloaded. But how do you do you install the MoBo drivers?

I am planning on updating at least chipset, networking, and sound but I don't know how to do so. Is there a way to access these through the device manager? For example would the chipset driver be updated through the processor in the device manager? Are these updated uniquely in the BIOS? This may be a completely obvious question, but I am a first time builder and I am eager to learn.
It would appear that these drives come with a .exe file which allows them to be run on their own. Please correct me if this information is wrong.

Finally, what drivers should I update. As mentioned, I plan to update the GPU, chipset, network, and sound, but should I install other MoBo updates or hardware updates? Why not make everything up to date since it is a fresh install? I have available to me driver updates for:

Chipset x1
GPU x1
SSD x1
Audio x1
LAN x1
SATA x3
USB x3
Utilities x3
Optical Drive x1
HDD x1
*Multipliers indicate how many updates are available in each category.
April 3, 2011 6:34:36 PM

Windows 7 driver updater is improved? That would be a load off for me. Every article I had read said to make sure to get the files from the manufacturers websites to keep them up to date.
m
l
Related resources
a b \ Driver
April 3, 2011 6:43:15 PM

You want to check to make sure everything worked as expected.
But I'd give Win7 update first crack at it and then see if there was anything left over needed to handled manually.
m
l
a b \ Driver
April 3, 2011 6:46:22 PM

I don't think I've handled any driver update manually in over a year except to roll back a video card driver to an earlier version a few months ago.
m
l
a b \ Driver
April 3, 2011 6:53:37 PM

I have had too many disasters with WU to trust it .... oft requiring a OS reinstall. Most often this occurs with on board audio drivers. On laptops this is esepcially important as many of the drivers are laptop vendor specific and WU can really screw these up.

On 1st build, I install the drivers off the MoBo 1st as sometimes it simply won't work any other way and some utility software requires registration that matches the CD key.

After that, well actually, while everything is making its way cross county in a brown truck, I d/l all the latest drivers / utilities from manufacturer web sites, burn them to a CD or put on a USB stick and upgrade.

When I run WU, I install the OS updates but ignore the driver updates. I do note what it discovers tho and then go chase that driver down on my vendor's site. I also use Secunia and Driver Max to make sure all is up to date ..... these catch what WU misses.

http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal/
http://download.cnet.com/DriverMax/3000-18513_4-1057260...;1

m
l
April 3, 2011 7:40:39 PM

Once the driver is updated am I free to delete the install files that I downloaded?
m
l
!