Sign in with
Your question

Confused - Some games work, some don't.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 29, 2011 5:46:41 PM

Hi all,

I am confused with my problem and have run out of ideas. This might not be a graphics card problem, I just posted it in this section because I thought it suited best. The problem is as follows:

With certain games I have been playing I have been having graphics issues. For example, in Starcraft II my cursor will be stretched out at times, some of the colors will streak across the screen, and it is choppy. I just got Dead Space 2 and it is completely unplayable. When I boot up the game, it is almost like looking through a kaleidoscope. Parts of it are triangulated and upside down, the cursor is half there but the other half is almost like it is smeared across the screen. When I alt-tab out of the program, I notice my processor is nearly running at 100% for both of these games.

However, when I run all sorts of other games on my computer (which you would expect wouldn't run well) like Call of Duty: Black Ops, Fallout: New Vegas (Etc..etc..) they run perfectly fine.

My computer set up is as follows:

- Gigbyte GA-EP45-UD3R motherboard
- XFX Radeon HD 4870
- OCZ SLI 4096MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz
- XION Power Real 1000W ATX Power Supply
- Windows 7 Professional
- Hitachi 7K1000.B Hard Drive (1 tb)

I downloaded FurMark to test my graphics card and it ran the stability test no problem. I downloaded the Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool and it said everything was fine. I am up to date on all my drivers.

My Q9550 does run quite hot though. Core 1 is usually around 82c when under load. It is around 50c right now under no stress. Could that be the reason? I'm just confused as to why some games are having chopping issues/are unplayable but others work just fine.

I would be able to provide more accurate information or anything else if you need it.

I'm coming back to the Tom's Hardware community with my question because it is the best of the best on the internet. When I was building my computer you all helped me solved issues I was having and I am really grateful for all the generous help you provide. Thank you in advance!

All the best,

Ryder

More about : confused games work

a c 216 U Graphics card
January 29, 2011 6:03:44 PM

I've seen that happen to me with SC2, and seen others with the problem too in SC2. That may a game issue only, if it's only those 2 games.

Try an older set of drivers.
m
l
February 14, 2011 1:37:52 AM

------ SOLVED -----

It ended up being a corrupt driver. I used a driver sweeper to clean the system of all my previous ATI drivers, booted the system up in safe mode, and then reinstalled the latest drivers. Worked like a charm!
m
l
!